“Room OK, food and buses not so good”

Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Ranked #51 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The room was fine and adequate for our needs if nothing special (but at the price we paid I didn't expect anything special...) We ate at the restaurant; service was fine and fast, but the food was awful. My bolognese sauce was just about inedible. The waitress agreed it looked bad and deducted it from the bill without any fuss. Which is good, but I'd rather have paid for something decent. Waiting for the bus the next morning was also stressful, with a disordered scrum despite us having 'booked' a 7.00 transfer. Some crowd control or supervision would probably help here. Given how close it is to the airport, a signposted path would be preferable to waiting for the bus if you don't have a lot of luggage, but there aren't any crossings over the roads.
All in all, not terrible, but not great either.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
AllisonDiggle, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
I am pleased to read that the hotel met with your needs and have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager and Head Chef. The Transport Manager has set in place a system for booking the courtesy bus, at busy times the general public can be a little selfish and unfortunately this is out of our control. I will however discuss this in our next Head of Department meeting. I would not recommend any of guests to walk to the terminals currently as the roadworks taking place for the Metro link make this a challenging experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,517)

Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel does what you expect for a good price, especially the room and parking package which is very competitively priced. A modern hotel very close to the airport with a frequent free shuttle bus to all three terminals. The shuttle worked well for us in both directions. Room is adequate for a one night stay, small bathroom and a firm bed. Our bar meal was OK, the accompanying drinks quite expensive. Didn't stay for breakfast as we had an early flight. Will probably use it again next time we fly from Manchester airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,
I would like to thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that the hotel was able to meet with your expectations and we welcome feedback from all our guests.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed here as part of a package deal for the Manchester united Game. It isnt a central location to the city however was close to Old Trafford and the Trafford Centre. The room was lovely and very big and the bar and restaurant where good too.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to see that we were able to meet your expectations and I hope that you enjoyed the game at Old Trafford. I look forward to welcoming you back to Bewley’s Hotel Manchester Airport.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed for one night only prior to an early flight...booked well in advance..the offer of parking for my holiday was really competitive...and a frequent shuttle bus service to the airport terminal.
Hotel really couldnt have been closer to Terminal 2.....

Room was very comfortable and well appointed. Couple of cobwebs..(sister has eagle eyes!!).

Evening dinner menu had plenty of choices ..and for me as a Coeliac..that made a refreshing change. Plenty of choice at Breakfast too.

My sister uses a Blue Badge..and I had asked a Lady Receptionist if the car on return could be in the Disabled spaces outside the hotel....was assured it would be no problem. Great!!

Upon return after an overnight flight...the car couldnt have been further from the door....right at the bottom of the Zone 4...a good 10 minutes walk for me.

To say that Reception wasnt in the slightest bit bothered (not the same person when we arrivaled)....not impressed...and spoiled what would have been a glowing and positive report....

Like a school report....can do better....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor, I am pleased to see that you had an overall good stay. I would just like to advise that as vehicles are often returned to the hotel up to 12 hours before guest collection it is not always possible for them to be returned to the disabled bays as this would clog up the bays for guest arriving at the hotel. Our courtesy bus drivers are happy to take any disabled guest back to their vehicle and I will pass your comments on to the Front Office Manager to share with his team. Again I thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back when you next travel from Manchester Airport.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have stayed here twice now and the hotel is a straight down the line average functional hotel. The dining area was very busy and needed more staff to keep it clean and the food very much standard fare. Rooms were fine but no alarm call could be booked. I was told to use the alarm in the room. As many people check in for early morning flights I thought this was not great and was glad I set my phone as the alarm did not go off. I used Bewleys becasue of the free bus transfer although it would be walking distance to the airport.
The room was quite warm but due to the proximity to the airport I could not open the windows. All in all it is a decent enough airport hotel. Functional, with no character. Not a place I would stay when on holiday but fine for one night en route.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Beaks21

Dear Returning Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I read in your comments that the hotel clearly meets with your requirements and I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next travelling out of Manchester Airport.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

me and the wife used this for overnight stay and park it was nice comfy beds tea coffee in room
did not have food so no comment
free bus to airport and pickup from airport when you get back this was excellent and was there
within 5mins from calling from free phone in airport
just a great all round hotel will stay here again

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you the hotel was able to meet with your expectations and provide you with the service you and your wife required. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Overnight before catching train to Edinburgh. Freephone in terminal 1 brought the bus quite quickly & journey 5 minutes. Booked transfer to railway station the night before & no problem. Travelodge type room with tea etc. Overpriced restaurant & nearly £4 a pint of lager. Leaving early so was room only & good value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Reviewer,
I would like to thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that our courtesy bus service met with your expectations. The Food & Beverage Manager has recently changed his supplier and I can confirm that the hotel bar and Brasserie Restaurant able to remain one of the best value establishments at the airport.