“Very good accommodation for the price”

Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Ranked #50 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We always choose to stay at Bewleys now when we are flying from Manchester Airport. Our first time was about five years ago and it was more upmarket then and more expensive. However, there has clearly been a change and although the rooms are still very good they now offer much cheaper deals and have therefore cut out the frills to help keep costs low. This has resulted in many more people staying there (not a bad thing and certainly good decision making by the manager).
In reality the frills that are not there now were not essential. We still have a spacious room that is spotlessly clean and well sound proofed. There is tea and coffee with generous supplies. There is free unlimited internet which is excellent. The bathroom is clean and a good size it is just that you only get a soap dispenser which is fine anyway. Our only complaint was the pillows which were huge and very uncomfortable.
Food is very good and we would recommend the dinner bed and breakfast option at 99.00 for two people it is an absolute bargain. Do be aware though that drinks are very expensive, but I suppose they have to make money some how.
Reception staff were not as helpful as they could have been but the free bus service is a huge bonus too.
All in all a very good place to stay, we would not think to go anywhere else.

Room Tip: Although we often book a suite in other hotels it is not necessary here unless you are staying a lon...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gloriachris
Write a ReviewReviews (5,445)

Reviewed August 15, 2011

I didn't go to this place expecting the Ritz. I got what I had set out to find, and that was a comfortable hotel with efficient reasonably-priced parking.
We used Bewleys for two trips in the space of a month, taking a family room on both occasions. Having tried other Manchester Airport hotels, I'd rate Bewleys overall best.
The main plus for the traveller is a slick, fast and fair-priced parking operation. According to length of time you need it for, your car can either be parked around the back and quickly retrieved on return, or it's taken off site and brought back on the day you come home. Either way, it worked just fine - the hotel shuttle bus was there like a shot, and the driver insists on loading all your heavy cases before dropping you outside the terminal.
Forgive the pun, but there I rest my case.
May I offer a few other remarks/tips which might help;
- The hotel restaurant food in general varied from quite good to mediocre, but go for the breakfasts - the quality was superb, the value excellent
- Request a room that is not on the ground floor. That way you escape the early morning cacophany of excited travellers rumbling their baggage towards flights during the small hours
- Look for the room and parking packages on the net - they're the best deal

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank marwoodSheffield
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I arrived at the train station where there was a phone that could be used to dial the hotel to arrange a pickup to the hotel. The hotel is very close. Virtually two/three mins drive. Close enough to walk but it was hard to tell how easily it could be walked to as the road layout looked a bit complex. Easier to take the shuttle bus.

Checkin was busy but didn't take longer than 5 mins wait.

Room was practical, clean and well maintained and the tv had a good selection of channels. There was no fridge in the room but there is a guest fridge behind reception if things need to be chilled.

I took the breakfast in the morning which was a reasonably priced buffet (GBP9.50) which consisted of hot cooked breakfast, some cereals and small yoghurt and fruit selection. No pastries or toast as far as I could see. Newspapers were also available.

The drop off was prompt although there did seem to be a few people waiting from the 6.30am pickup when I arrived for the 6.45am one so if there are a group of you it would be better to book a slot on an earlier bus than you need.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Aileen J
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Paid £85 per room for one night stay before holiday. Spent more money in the hotel than we did in 3 days on holiday. Bar is a total rip off. Queues at reception are slow and staff seem to flap about rather than process people. Had to go back and get the room key activated twice. Should have stayed at Radissons.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Barrow_m
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed here one night before our flight back to the USA. The hotel rooms was good sized with loads of room to stash your stuff if you need to. The bathroom was very clean and modern. We had a few beers and appetizers in the hotel bar. Manchester United was playing Barcelona and they several extra TV's set up in the bar so everyone could see the game no matter where you were sitting which was nice. The bar was VERY busy due to the game and we were amazed how quickly our food was delivered given the size of the crowd. There is a frequent shuttle that will deliver you directly to your airport terminals (free) which we did use. The driver was friendly and efficient. The only thing that could have improved the stay was if breakfast had been included in the price. Overall a good choice!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Got a good internet price so chose Bewleys above other hotels in the Manchester airport area. A shuttle bus was advertised so I followed the hotel shuttle bus signs at the airport railway station. Waited about 10 minutes and saw the Bewleys shuttle bus arrive. I approached with my bags and the guy asked if I had booked in advance, I said I hadn't as it was advertised on the internet as a shuttle bus. As the bus was empty I assumed there would be no problem but the driver just kept going on and on about having to book in advance. I eventually got on the bus and still he was moaning and rambling on. I felt like telling him to shut up but managed to keep myself in check. We picked up a couple at the other airport terminal who had apparently called in advance and I was patronised and told in front of them that I too should have called in advance. I eventually told him I had heard what he had to say and that was enough. He then kept quiet for the remainder of the 10 minute ride to the hotel.

The reception area was very busy when I arrived at about 17:30 on a Saturday afternoon. The hotel has a nice feel to it but still there seems to be something of the Premier Inn about it. I can't put my finger on why this is. I was checked in quickly and told my room number. There is quite a walk to the hotel lifts down a long corridor, past the bar area, through a coffee lounge and then to the lifts. If you have heavy bags then you may have a problem as there are no bell boys in attendance. I was on the 5th floor and found my room quickly.

The room was comfortable with free fast wi-fi internet, a nice bathroom which did show signs of mould even though the hotel appears to be quite new. I had a view from my window over the airport and there were no issues with noise. The room also had a small kettle with free coffee and tea. Additionally there is a coffee lounge on the ground floor offering free coffee, a nice touch. The bed was comfortable. There was also a room safe adequate for a laptop.

I decided to try the restaurant for some food before I had an early night. The restaurant was bustling and I was seated quickly. The restaurant was understandably full of holiday makers obviously staying there prior to a flight but this also meant there were small children running around. Not just the odd one or two but it seemed like I was sitting in a kindergarten. The noise from these children squealing and crying was very off-putting.

I ordered the bangers and mash which was served very quickly. The portion was tiny and consisted of two sausages, an egg sized portion of mashed potatoes and a spoonful of onion gravy. I paid £10.50 for this, terrible. I would certainly not recommend using the restaurant.

Still hungry I walked to a local garage for some sandwiches which I probably should have done in the first place. I did think about having a nightcap in the bar but the bar was similar to the restaurant as children were running wild and I decided to retire to my room.

The TV in the room had a good selection of channels so I ended up watching TV and eating my sandwiches, not a great night.

If the hotel had an area for parents and children so that other guests weren't undisturbed then it would be a nice arrangement but unfortunately there isn't such an area.

In conclusion an average hotel that could easily be a super hotel if the restaurant food was improved, the management of noisy children improved and the shuttle bus conundrum was sorted out. Ironically as I walked to the local garage for my sandwiches I passed the shuttle bus driver who gave me a cheery wave???

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the airport - Nice views
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MrInfinity001
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Great rooms, great service - busy reception but well handled.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business