“Didn't Sleep - lack of security?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Manchester East

Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
Ranked #52 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Lancs
“Didn't Sleep - lack of security?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

Ok, so this hotel is your typical, standard, Holiday Inn Express, budget tourist class accommodation and we knew what to expect when we arrived. It was never going to be luxury and we were fine with that as we were using it as just a place to sleep for the night.

It would have been ok but it didn't fulfill that need - we didn't sleep! My main gripe is actually at other guests at the hotel and their lack of courtesy and respect for other guests. We were fine until bedtime, we had been asleep less than an hour and it started. A japanese tour party checked in at around 12.30am, taking up a few rooms on our floor and were very, very noisy which woke us up. They clearly had trouble getting into their rooms with the carded entry and (as the walls were the thinnest we have ever known!) we could hear them swiping about 30 times then shouting down the hall to their friends to come and help them and basically there was a large group having a very loud conversation in the hallway. They were also knocking each others doors (for assistance?) and in the process knocked ours a few times. Then once they got into the room they started banging and crashing around (the next day we saw them checking out and understandably they had large, heavy suitcases) and they continued talking loudly and laughing. Our walls were getting bumped by them and just as you thought you'd dropped off to sleep, you'd be awoken by a loud crashing sound behind you. All of this went on for around an hour bearing in mind they moved in after midnight.

We finally nodded off again and after about an hour somebody started knocking on our door and trying the handle etc to get in which was quite frightening. Due to safety, we ignored it but then the person started pounding loudly on the door next to us and swiping a card trying to get in to one of the Japanese tourist's rooms. The man started shouting at them in a very gruff, loud, Scots voice and he was clearly drunk but this must have scared the (female) tourists as they started screaming. Now I know what you are thinking, this wasn't the fault of the hotel? They can't control the behaviour of other guests - but it was what happened next that really annoyed me and made me concerned.

Straightaway, I called the front desk to report what was happening. The tourists must have opened the door to the man and he was so drunk he must have not realised that he was in the wrong room and tried to push past demanding to know who these Japanese people were which was when they started screaming. We were too scared to open our door, so this is why we called front desk for some sort of security to be sent up. However, we ran and rang and no one answered and I could hear (through the thin walls) another guest ringing in the room next to us and they also got no answer. I doubt it was just us two - but we were just ignored. This made me worry about what would happen in an emergency. We couldn't do anything and just had to put up with listening to this guy pound on other doors and try swiping his card on every door until he moved to another floor! After another 30 mins I heard a member of staff knock on the door next door (presumably he found out and wanted to check everything was ok?) which again woke us up! After that we got some sleep but kept waking up soaking in sweat because it was so hot in the hotel and their was no air conditioning.

Breakfast was fine and plentiful with scrambled egg and sausage as well as continental items, but you had to climb over people to get to your seats because of the lack of spacing between tables and I'm only 5"2 but could not pull my chair in to the table because of the awkward shape of it. The lift was out of order which meant you had to lug suitcases up and down the stairs and also we had someone in our party awaiting a knee replacement who really struggled with the stairs.

So yes, not too great a stay but mostly not the fault of the hotel. My advice is bring some ear plugs and a cooling fan if you want to sleep. But also, if anyone reads this please be considerate to others. If you have to come in or check in late at night or get up in the middle of the night, try to do it as quietly as possible. The corridor is not a nightclub.

Two pluses - it was clean enough and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aquarian_Mermaid
carl7206, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
I am very sorry to here about your unpleasant stay at the hotel in July. I shall feed all your comments back to the rest of the team so that we can act on the issues that you have raised. Kind Regards, Carl Butterworth, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Northamptonshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

A fine Travelodge-style hotel, but with the added bonus of breakfast included in the rate. Everything about the room, the public areas, and the service was average for a H I Express. Actually, service probably rates average+, given how helpful the guy on the front desk was at directing people how and where to place orders for evening meals - either to get there, or to have the meals delivered (as H I Express don't do evening meals on site).

Breakfast was of the usual average H I Express quality, which is a bit limited for some in terms of choice (eg, no bacon, no fried eggs), but more-than-ample quantities available. As usual, with a shoe-string staff on duty, the cleaning of tables was slower than would be expected in a non-budget hotel, but it's a fair compromise for the low price you pay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Daniel D, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Wings_Of_Chicken

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel after your visit here in 2010, I'm sorry that it has taken so long to reply. I'm delighted to inform you that our hotel now offers an a la carte menu daily between 6pm and 10pm, and an Express Menu with a selection of tasty hot snacks also available 24 hours a day. I hope that we may welcome you back to our hotel in the very near future.

lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2010

I stay nice there with my two daughters in their 20's and we all loved it. The service was brill, the staff were lovely and very helpful. Less than 5 minutes on the tram into manchester. We expected to pay for breakfast but it was complimentry. On one morning we had to get up at 4am and were told the night porter would make sure there was breakfast available, sure enough it was and very nice too. I would quite happily stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank sunset247
Dear sunset247

Thank you for posting a review after your visit to Manchester in 2010, I'm sorry that it has taken so long to reply.
I'm not too sure if you have posted your review for the correct hotel as we are not located on a tram route into Manchester. That said, we are on Hyde Road, which offers a very regular bus route into the city centre which, coupled with our free on site parking offers a great and cost effective way to visit the area.
Even if it wasn't our hotel, I'm delighted that your visit to Manchester was an excellent one, and I am confident that you would still receive the same welcome and level of service should you visit our hotel in the near future.

Rochdale, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

I attended a training day here, and to be frank, the catering was a complete disaster.
Although there were over 30 people in a cramped tiny room ( with hard uncomfortable chairs,) the hotel left seven mugs for the hot drinks machine, and even when more were requested, only another dozen arrived.
The hotel put on a lunch buffet which was so awful, it had to be seen to be believed. There were some cheese slices, some bits of sliced cooked meat (no serving tongs), cut up pork pie/sausage roll, a bit of a salad and a few Mr Kipling cakes - the whole thing was so embarassingly bad, the lecturers remarked that they intended to raise it with the management. Me, I won't be returning after this shambles.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank wroughtironron
Dear wroughtironron

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to our hotel as part of a conference in 2010. I am very sorry that it has taken so long to reply to you.

I am sorry to read your comments with regards to the room and also the lunch you received. Since your visit, we have undergone some upgrades to our meeting rooms and they now have a more modern and spacious feel with some better equipment and furniture. We have also long since ceased using an external company to provide lunch for delegates attending a course as we did at the time of your visit, and we now provide all the catering ourselves - for which we have received countless positive comments.

I hope that you will be suitably impressed should you attend a course here again in the future.

lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

I stayed on business and booked a smoking room (as many other hotels have banned them, thats why i no longer stay at premier inn or travel inn, this is very much a plus point!...in fact its why i booked and will encourage anyone else to do so !!! )

The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. There is a Gym across the road, excellent chinese delivery that take credit card.

The cleaning standards are excellent, I stayed for 2 nights and on return from business the room didnt smell of smoke at all (even though i smoked alot the night before)

If you are a smoker and /or away on business/leisure please stay at Holiday Inn Express, they Clearly know what their customers want with regards to smoking, there are alot of business people that do smoke and other hotel chains are missing out on custom...their Loss!!

I chose to travel 20 miles further to be comfy and be a respected customer.

Good for you Holiday Inn Express, you have my custom and the custom of 15 of my staff who stay away from home 3-4 nights a week.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Dear LincsGazza1

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to our hotel, I am sorry that it has taken so long to respond to you.

Thank you for your kind comments, although as much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, all of our rooms are now non smoking. As well as that, they are now nearing the completion of a major redecoration project. We do still have a relationship with the gym next door that allows our guests free use of their facilities, and I would be confident in saying that our level of customer service is now even better than your last visit. I hope this would be enough to see you return to our hotel.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

This hotel is very modern. Rooms are spacious and modern. Continental breakfast is included in price.

No extra charge for the dog. Nice park within yards.

Would definitely return

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Dear Isladeiona

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel after your visit in 2010, I am very sorry that it has taken so long to reply to you.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We now offer free Wifi in many areas within our hotel and also serve evening meals daily between 6pm and 10pm. I hope that we may welcome you back in the very near future.

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

Nice hotel outside the city; easily accessible with a rental car and plenty of parking.
Wifi is not free and breakfast was very small but the quality of the breakfast foods was good.
We're definately staying here again when we go to Manchester.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Bobbykat

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel after your visit in 2010. I am very sorry that it has taken so long to reply to you.

I am pleased that your visit was an excellent one, and even more pleased to be able to tell you that we now offer free WiFi in our public areas, as well as in our bedrooms for our IHG Rewards members and all guests who book directly with us.

Why not give us a call or visit our website before your next visit to Manchester?