“Very dissappointing stay 9th/11th December”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was our 4th stay at this hotel and will be our last. Room 321 black hair on sheets and in bathroom bottom sheet did not fit mattress Room 209 Bottom sheet did not fit mattress hinges on outside window broken so window didnt close properly and let in road noise. Corridors need a good vaccum including the edges front of house staff very unhelpfull and ignorant. Really gone downhill since our last visit. Only thing going for it now is the location.

Room Tip: Pot luck really
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Hazel J

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that, as one of our regular guests, you experienced issues on your recent visit which have prompted you to reconsider a return to our hotel. The issues you have described are not in keeping with the many excellent comments we receive about the quality of our rooms and staff, and also the high expectation that we have of ourselves.

I understand that there are many accommodation choices available to you and so I would be eager to investigate this matter further. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly at sgsm@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk so that I may discuss this matter with you.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night as we were going to a concert on fri 13th dec.
thought this hotel was good as very cheap on booking.com.
Not in the best place 10 min journey in taxi to Manchester Piccadilly and also the 02 about 8 mins away. We went to the Apollo so needed a taxi for this reception very good as had a telephone which put you straight through to an operator who would get a taxi to come straight to the hotel and take you to your destination. rather cheap too. we stayed in 215 was a very good room. warm, big bed , nice bathroom with good shower. room had a flat screen tv and also a sofa bed which we thought was good. also as we got hungry after the gig there is a McDonalds right next door literally a minute walk away. 24hr one. brilliant all round :) would stay again for sure. got more for what we paid for. BRILLIANT.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mwoodle

Dear Mwoodle

I am so pleased by your comments and delighted that you really enjoyed your visit to our hotel. We aim to offer a product that is excellent in both service and quality, whilst also being competitive in terms of price and so I am very pleased that this is exactly what you experienced.
I will make the team aware of your comments, and I am sure that we will welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Really enjoyed the stay and was impressed with the hotel and the price and complimentary breakfast it was all clean the bed was very comfortable we had a kettle with tea coffee etc at the ready a tv and if you had forgotten anything you could just phone reception they were very pleasant and helpful

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank cherishe
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear cherishe

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased by your comments and delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us. We understand that the little touches can go a long way to making a great stay, which is why we have a dedicated team on site who are committed to doing everything they can to ensure our guests enjoy their visit. I'll make sure your review is shared with the entire team here.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here on Friday 29th November as we were going to the O2 Apollo, which is a taxi ride away costing £7.50. The hotel is very clean, modern and the staff are very friendly and helpful. We booked a triple room as it was the same price as a standard, the room was a good size, bed comfy, nice clean bathroom. We had the buffet breakfast which was very good, this is included in the price at all Holiday Inn Express hotel.
We booked on Laterooms and were going to book for the Friday and Saturday, the Friday was a fantastic £60, we tried to book the two nights but it cost £105 per night !!!! seemed to me like a bit of a pricing con. We would stay here again,

Room Tip: We asked for the top floor at the back overlooking the park, so no road noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear nancymuir

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased by your positive comments, particularly in relation to the staff here. A high level of service is one of the main focus points for our team, and I will make sure your comments are shared at our next meeting.

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Ok so this hotel ain't in the best area of Manchester, but it's safe and has CCTV so you can park with peace of mind. It's a clean hotel, rooms are spot on, just what you would expect for a holiday inn, service is ok, staff are friendly but could do more and maybe smile. Now for the bit that let me down, and in my own opinion it was a big let down, and that's the promise of free wifi in your room. Now if you just want a nice clean comfortable room then this place is more than nice, but if your like me and need to work or rely on wifi then go elsewhere, soon as you walk in there are signs saying wifi everywhere, there was a guy complaining when I was checking in, he was told that the router would be reset, I saw him later in the lounge with his laptop so he'd obviously given up and come down stairs. Now it might sound silly but I rely on wifi, I work away and need access to my emails, I also have two kids at home and rely on it to Skype or FaceTime. So for its essential and I always check before I book, it's basically the difference between stating somewhere and not. In the end I gave up trying, you can not get wifi everywhere as advertised, So maybe they should change there policy and stop putting cards everywhere including in your bathroom saying "you can even get it in here ". There was no problem with the router, it was weak last month to but I just put it down to a weak signal, there are also other complaints about it on here too, so in my opinion they should not advertise it if they can't gaurantee it, I phoned down and was also told router would be reset, never got a call back to check up on me tho which was pretty poor, like I said some people rely on it and book hotels because of it, so please ring and check first or like me you will have to go and work in the local McDonald's. One last thing, housekeeping knocking my door at 9.45 shouting housekeeping when I'm on the phone to a client did not impress me, they had just seen me walk in so knew I was there, check out is 10, so leave me alone till 10? Only fair I think. Like I say nice hotel but so are many others in this type of chain, I became a ihg member so I could get free wifi too, seems silly moving hotels just for that but it's important to me so i will have to look elsewhere in future.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Narns2010

Dear Narns2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a detailed review of your visit.

I am sorry that you encountered issues with our WiFi service. In line with the Holiday Inn Express brand standard, we have recently made this a service that is free of charge for our guests. The vast majority of our guests experience a reliable service and encounter no issues, however from your feedback it does seem there does seem to be some issues that may need to be addressed.

There are plans in place to improve our WiFi service in the near future. Your comments are very welcome and will be used to help us highlight and address the areas most in need of improvement.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stay at this Hotel every time we go to Manchester. I have written a couple of reviews in the past, we have always been pleased with the service, the staff and management are very friendly and efficient.
The hotel is well located and very quiet with good car parking. The recent refit is very good. Breakfast is good and makes a great star to the day.
Our little dog is always welcomed at the Hotel, as many places do not allow dogs this is a major bonus for us.
Please see my other reviews for further information.
Thank you to every one at this hotel for looking after us so well, and see you again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel to avoid any car park noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HappyTravellers222
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear HappyTravellers222

First of all, let me say how great it was to see you again recently, and that your continued custom and feedback is very much appreciated. I am delighted that the team here are consistent in delivering a high level of customer service, and I will make sure your comments are shared with them at our next team meeting.

Thanks again!

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

great hotel to stay in check in staff are very friendly rooms are clean and good heater in room for these cd winter nights its very quiet in hotel so no problem sleepin in the comfy bed we ate in hotel first night but foods not the best pub accross the car park is good and fairly priced bkfst is as good as you will get plenty choices for everyone its a ten out of ten from me be back next week

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank colin j
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear colin j

Thank you for such a great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and it's always great to receive such positive comments. I will share these with the rest of the team here at our next meeting.