“Typical Holiday Inn Express, good location”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
Ranked #53 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Typical Holiday Inn Express, good location”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night visiting Manchester, good location with parking and a McDonald's and pharmacy nearby. Rooms are typical of the chain. Breakfast was ok, very limited hot options but again this is typical of HI Express. Great value for money!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Fmstereo

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our hotel, and for your very kind comments. It's great to receive such positive feedback from a guest who has enjoyed their stay with us, and I will make sure your review is shared with the entire team.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Senior Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed her for one night whilst attending a wedding in Manchester city centre. Wasn't prepared to pay the £220 they were asking for a night at the hotel where the wedding was at and opted for the £59 for three of us instead. Taxi into the city centre was £12.50 each way and you'll need one because you wouldn't want to walk around at night in that area. The hotel was clean and the staff were very helpful and a credit to the company. The sofa bed wasn't made up for our little one when we arrived so when we rang reception they arranged to do it whilst we were out and they did. Breakfast at HIE is a fairly simple affair but I must say that this one was the best I've had and this is the fourth time this year I've used one. Very good, fresh and constantly topped up. Well done. The only slight issue was with the bed. Me and the wife spent a close night together due to the fact that we rolled together in the middle of the bed due to bed being knackered. Still, the free drink at the aforementioned wedding ensured a good nights sleep!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear wotsit89

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel, I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay.

Many guests such as yourself choose to stay with us to take advantage of our competitive rates when compared to city centre hotels, and I am glad that you found this to be a major positive. We are situated on a very good bus route into the city centre, and some services run into the small hours at weekends. One of the team would be more than happy to provide you with information on this during your next visit so you can save a bit of money on taxis also.

Your comments on the team are very kind and much appreciated. I will make sure they are passed along at our next meeting.

We look forward to seeing you again.

South Tyneside, UK
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We needed pet friendly accommodation and before we booked this particular hotel I contacted the hotel directly and spoke to a member of staff to check several things about their pet policy. I asked if it would be possible to bring 2 dogs both of whom are well behaved, the answer was yes, no problem. I asked if there were any restrictions on where the dogs could go in the hotel and grounds, I was told no restrictions at all. I asked if it would be ok to sit in the bar during the evening and for the dogs to be there to, I was told that would not be a problem. Fabulous news and as we do not like leaving our dogs in strange rooms on their own and based on the information we had been given, I booked for two nights for a total of £220. On check in on the Friday teatime, I double checked the information and asked about the breakfast area. I was told from the girl at the reception desk that they were not allowed in the restaurant but we could sit in the bar area with the dogs and have breakfast there. That was absolutely great. So first morning, we had breakfast in the bar area, the dogs lay down, and all was well. On Saturday evening, having been out since 9.20am that morning, we came back to the hotel at 9pm, sat in the bar away from other residents and took one sip of our drinks. The duty manager - Anthony Robinson stood behind the reception desk and called for our attention and asked us to leave as the dogs were not allowed in the bar area due to health and safety rules. When I approached the reception desk and advised him about my previous conversations with his staff, I was told that he needed to address the pet policy with his staff and if the dogs were only small it would have been a different matter. However because they are Labradors, they are not allowed. This gentleman said it was policy everywhere not to allow dogs in areas where they serve food, yet on the same day we had lunch in a very nice pub restaurant in the Macclesfield area with other members of my family and the dogs and we made very welcome. Both of my dogs are extremely well behaved - one in fact is an ex guide dog. To say we felt humiliated and disappointed is an understatement, and I do not think that calling for our attention from the reception desk across the bar in front of other people was a very professional approach at all. We will not be letting this complaint rest.

Room Tip: if you are a dog owner - stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear harryholmes

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our hotel. We welcome all feedback from our guests to enable us to make future improvements to our services. I am very sorry to read your comments and disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your visit with us.

We do welcome guests who want to bring their dogs with them to our hotel. For the comfort of our guests, we do have a pet policy in place. However, it seems that there has been a bit of confusion among a few of our team members for which I would like to offer a full and sincere apology. We normally do not allow dogs into our bar or restaurant area as this is an area that is associated with the service of food and drink. This is in line with our food hygiene responsibilities, which we take very seriously, and also for the comfort of fellow guests.

As such, the manager on duty at the time whom you have referred was correct in his request. I have also discussed your comments with him and he assures me that he dealt with you in a polite, courteous and discreet manner as he would with any guest and felt the conversation he had with you was of an amicable nature. I would like to apologise if you were left feeling disappointed by after your conversation with him.

I have also since drawn attention to your comments with the entire team here at the hotel, and made sure that everybody fully understands the pet policy that we have in place so to avoid any future confusion.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your visit, and invite you to contact me directly at sgsm@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk

London
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Spent a night here in September as son was starting Uni in Manchester and needed a cheap bed overnight. Got a great deal for £44. Typical holiday inn express. Was very clean, room was excellent, large and comfortable. Decent continental type breakfast nothing special but fine to fill up on. There are nearer holiday inns to Manchester centre but this was only 10 mins from the university campus. Wouldnt recommend if wanting to spend time in the centre as a bit far out but great for the Uni. Wasnt expecting much but very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Guest Service Assistant at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Happyranter

Thank you for taking the time to write such a measured, complimentary review of our hotel.

I'm especially pleased to hear your positive comments regarding the rooms here at the hotel; it's nice to hear our recent refurbishment praised and our dedicated housekeeping staff will be informed of your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel upon your next visit to the university.

Dennis Routledge-Tizzard

Guest Service Assistant
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

It's in the middle of nowhere which I can handle normally, but the free wifi didn't work and the bed is awful. The concierge tried to help but made things worse. Breakfast was terrible. They did handle my late check in well but I did call ahead twice to make sure they sorted it.

• Stayed October 2013
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear miamibeach76

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our hotel. We welcome all feedback from our guests so that we can effectively make improvements to the services that we offer. I am sorry that our location did not suit your needs. Many of our guests choose our hotel because of our close proximity to the M60 motorway and also the good transport links to the city centre, along with our free on site parking.
We have recently made our Wifi service free of charge to all guests who book directly with us. I am sorry that you were not able to establish a connection. The vast majority of our guests experience no issues with our service, however our team are always available and delighted to offer assistance to any guest who is having trouble getting online.

I would be happy to further discuss your visit, and can be contacted at sgsm@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk

London
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Visitied this hotel in August 2013 with wife and two children. Used sat nav to find it and was quite straight forward. Next door to Macdonalds and hotel has ample free parking on-site. The rooms are fairly small but you get what you pay for. Was dissapointed when we arrived as our room has just been painted and the fumes were quite bad. We dropped our bags off and went out for a few hours. On our return we couldn't stand the smell so asked to move rooms but they did not have any other rooms. We refused to stay and asked management to refund which they did immediately. I asked for help to find an alternative hotel which the manager went out of his way to do. On a side, there were many other unhappy customers complaining about the paint smell in their rooms also.

Eventually the manager moved us to another family room as the family earmarked for that room had not arrived yet. I guess he was hoping that the other family would not have such a problem with the smell.

Other than that the hotel was great. Breakfast was good ...what you would expect from a Holiday Inn express. I have to say with free breakfast for 4 people and the price of the room....this was a complete bargain.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank poorbillionaire
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear poorbillionaire

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to our hotel back in August. At the time of your visit, we were in the middle of a project to renovate and improve all of our bedrooms. Unfortunately, some of the repainting works in a small minority of the rooms did leave a temporary residual effect and I am sorry for the discomfort that was caused to you. However, I am pleased to inform you that all works have now been complete for some time and I am confident that you will be pleasantly surprised by the new look on your next visit.

I am also pleased that the team on duty at the time were able to resolve this issue for you and enable you to enjoy the rest of your stay with us. I will pass your comments along at our next meeting.

We very much look forward to seeing you again.

Regards

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, EVER.

We stayed at this hotel because the wedding party we were with were staying there, and we wanted to be close to the bigger group. My friend and I booked our rooms later than the rest of our party (but still several weeks prior to our stay), and could not get the block rate. When I called the hotel before booking through their site, the person I spoke to said they would apply the group rate when we checked in or out. We also booked a double room, but were given a twin because it was all they had left when we checked in, and we accepted this without complaint.

At check-in, we were told we would need to talk to the manager to get the group rate, and he was not available at the time. We were assured the matter could be resolved at check-out. At check-out, we were told the manager was still not available, but if we emailed the hotel, we could most likely come to some sort of mutually acceptable solution. Subsequent emails to the hotel's management claimed that reservations made via their central reservation system cannot be linked with the separate group that was booked, and must be charged at the rate which was confirmed to you when your booking was made.

The “amenities” at this hotel were also sub-standard:
• There was no iron in the room; one had to be requested at the front desk and there were only a handful available;
• Wi-fi service was spotty and unreliable;
• There was no A/C, so we had to open our window; while this would have been fine in any other situation, our room was on the ground floor and opened into the back parking lot – anyone could have climbed in through the window and gotten into the room.

We never got the group rate, despite much discussion both at check-in and at check-out and the later emails, and have ended up paying 100 GBP for a room that is absolutely NOT worth that price. Despite the manager’s assertion that this was a competitive rate for the area on a high-volume weekend, I know for a fact that there are cheaper, better, and more convenient options available in Manchester.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Zahra H

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you felt your discussions with our hotel have not brought this issue to a conclusion. Without wanting to go into too much detail on a public forum for what is essentially a private matter, I would like to say that any group discounts we offer are subject to reservations being made via the correct booking channel so that they can be applied prior to check in, and cannot be applied retrospectively. This was communicated to the person who made the original reservation, I am sorry if there has been a misunderstanding and that this was not passed on to you.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the amenities of the hotel. We do keep a number of irons on reception for our guests to use at their leisure and our staff are always happy to deliver these to a room. Our Wifi service has recently been made free for all guests who stay at our hotel, and there are plans in place to improve both the speed and the bandwith over the coming months. I am sure that you will notice the difference on your next visit.

Overall, I am disappointed by your comments, and that you were not impressed by your visit to our hotel. We are constantly striving to provide a high level of customer service and a product that is very competitive with similar budget hotel brands. Your comments are very welcome and will be used to make future improvements to the services that we provide.