“Great Staff - Poor Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
Ranked #50 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Check in was briliant, I found every member of staff to be helpful, polite and knowledgeable.

My room was another story.... Uncomfortable bed, pillows.

Dirty stained hand towel (Change it guys..You cant miss it on a white towel).
The ceiling looked like the room above had some major water leak or tsunami season is in town!!

I took one look at the menu and decided not to eat in... So went to the restaurant across the way.. Now this is not associated with this hotel, but take my advice...either drive or take a taxi and eat elsewhere...!!! Seriously...Do not eat there.

If your looking for a bed for the night, with no frills and the bare basics just one step up from a YMCA or a tent.. Then by all means stay here.

I would suggest a Premier Inn just 2 minutes down the road.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Daniel D, Interim Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear War_Monkey74

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. However, I am extremely concerned by the issues you have raised, particularly the towels provided and an apparent maintenance issue with your room. I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the impact that these issues had on your stay, and I will be in contact with you privately in due course so that we may further discuss the situation and a proper investigation be carried out.

On a positive note, I am glad our team here were able to deliver a level of service that we expect of ourselves and I will pass your praise on to them at our next team meeting.

I look forward to speaking with you shortly.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family usually stay at Marriott hotels, but we only needed a one night stay and decided to checkout the Holiday Inn Express since it was very reasonably priced and included a free breakfast. The hotel provided everything we needed, a clean room at a reasonable rate. We requested extra towels, pillows and sheets and the hotel staff wasted no time in delivering them to our room. The breakfast was acceptable. It wasn't anything exciting, but it was enough to feed our two small children a decent meal to get the day started. The funniest part of our stay was when one of the hotel staff asked my three-year old son what the best part of his stay was and he replied, "jumping on the bed with muddy shoes!" Needless to say, that didn't happen but it was fun watching the staff member's reaction. We found all of the staff we interacted with pleasant and attentive. So for us, this hotel was exactly what we needed and met all of our expectations.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Interim Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear drpepper19

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel.

First of all, may I say that after reading your review I was left with a huge smile on my face! I am absolutely delighted that the team here went above and beyond to make your stay a memorable one. I will certainly pass your comments along to all the team here at our next meeting.

I hope that your experience with us has persuaded you to look to Holiday Inn Express hotels first as opposed to the Marriott hotels for your future trips.

We look forward to welcoming you and your son (albeit with clean shoes!) back to our hotel in the near future!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

First impression was this was a modern hotel so would be a an enjoyable experience. how wrong were we. booked through superbreak on a two night first night dinner deal. when we checked in, the staff could not find our booking so we had to give all our details again. we got our room and was told it was on the third floor, which was fine until we were told the lift wasn't working. our room was clean but freezing as it was an electric heater which was only activated by the room card. the dinner was a huge disappointment, the food was all microwaved which you could clearly hear in the kitchen. after a long day we looked forward to a good nights sleep. wrong. the bed was hard and very uncomfortable. breakfast was a joke, the only hot food was beans, sausages, scrambled egg and toast. we left on the second day because we couldn,t stand staying another day. we arrived on april fools day, we were definitely the fools by staying here

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel D, Interim Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear wllking08

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. However, I must express my dismay at reading your review.

After reading your posting, I discussed your reservation with the staff members that were present during your stay. As you have stated, there was a problem in locating your reservation on our system and a minor delay in locating your booking so that we were able to check you in. The staff member with who you dealt has assured me that this delay was no more than a few minutes while he took your details and created the reservation for you. Reservations made via Superbreaks are usually added to our system automatically and I will be in contact with Superbreaks in due course to ascertain why this had not happened on this occasion.

I am aware there was an issue with the lift on the day you had checked in. This issue was resolved by an engineer on the same evening. However, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Our rooms are designed to limit unneccessary energy use as we work to meet our Green Tourism requirements and as such are designed with a key-activation feature for the electrics. However, due to the recent cold snap, we have actively engaged in turning the heating on in the rooms due for arrival before our guests arrive - a practice we will continue to do whilst the outside temperatures remain low. Regrettably, on this occasion, this was not in place as your reservation was not on our expected arrivals list due to the reservation not being received from Superbreaks.

We have just rolled out a new evening menu in our hotel which has been met with much positive feedback from the guests with whom we have spoken on check out. I am sorry to hear that on this occassion you did not enjoy your meal. We value all feedback whether good or bad so that we may constantly strive to improve the products and services that we have on offer.

Once again, I would like to sincerely apologise that your stay with us was not an enjoyable one. I invite you to contact me directly at sgsm@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk so that we may further discuss your stay with us with the aim to bringing this matter to an amicable conclusion.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've stayed a Holiday Inn hotels for many years, hence me having no qualms about booking this one. The welcome was ok, once someone actually greeted me. The room was absolutely fine, no issues with decor, lighting or amenities. However, it would be safe to say that the walls to the adjoining room were a tad thin, and the lady next door was enjoying herself... all evening.. and I'm a tad deaf.
I had a casserole for dinner.... i had two mouthfuls and left the rest. Breakfast was average but ok. Would I stay here again... not a chance. Would I stay at future Holiday Inn hotels, Yes.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Daniel D, Interim Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear BOR15

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel.

I am disappointed and very sorry to read that your stay with us was not up to standard that you have come to expect and the standard that we expect of ourselves.

We appreciate that sometimes a small minority of our guests can create a little bit too noise and be unaware of the impact that this is having on their fellow travellers. We have staff available on reception 24 hours a day who are always able and willing to deal with a complaint of noise swiftly and effectively should one be received. I have no doubt that this would have also been the case in this instance had such a complaint been received.

We have recently introduced a new evening dinner menu which has received an array of positive comments from the majority of our guests. I am very sorry to read that on this occasion the dish you sampled was not to your taste. Had this concern been raised with one of our staff members, we would have been delighted in offering you a replacement meal or if necessary a full refund. That said, we are constantly striving to improve our efforts and your constructive feedback is gladly welcomed.

I am disappointed to read that you would not consider staying at our hotel again in the future. I urge you to reconsider your decision and invite you to contact me directly at sgsm@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk should you require more accommodation in Manchester so that I may offer you the most competetive rate available and make sure that your next stay with us is a very enjoyable one.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at the holiday inn express whilst working away from home. I have been very impressed with the service I have received. Particularly the duty manager Haitham and his colleague garath who have looked after me during my stay. I work in the hospitality industry myself and wish more people in this iindustry would show as much customer service as these two have shown me. Keep up the good work lads.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Ben19997

Thankyou for your review of your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Manchester East

I am very happy to read that our night team went out of their way to make your stay an excellent one. We have a fabulous team in Manchester and we are always delighted when a guest feels the same way.

I will make sure that the Gareth and Haitham receive your comments.

We very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

As a mature family we have stayed at this Holiday Inn a good few times as we have been to the theatre or stayed over a couple of nights to have dinner in the City.
We have always found the staff to be very good indeed, so polite and efficient and friendly. On a recent visit the heater in our room broke down ( it happens) the staff were super quick in changing our room - they could not have done more. On our most recent visit we had two rooms (adjoining ) unfortunately all of the lights went out in the bathroom, once again they sorted it out ASAP by changing a transformer unit, I accept that these things happen but the way in which the staff responded was tremendous.
The hotel is fair value for money, beds are comfortable and rooms are tidy and clean. The breakfast and lounge area is very good and breakfast is excellent . There is CCTV covering all of the well lit car park so you really feel that your car is safe.
As a final point we take our small dog along with us, she is 9 years old and as good as gold - the Hotel cater for this and this was the main reason for us selecting this particular hotel and remains a major reason for us re visiting. We have re booked another two stays, once again to see a couple of shows ( retirement is wonderful ). If your needing to stay in Manchester and don't want to be in the City itself then this is a very good choice. We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HappyTravellers222

Dear HappyTravllers222

Thankyou for taking the time post a review of recent stay with us.

I am absolutely delighted to read that the team here were able to rectify the minor issues you experienced whilst staying at our hotel. Your comments are very greatly received and I will make sure that they are communicated to the entire team here.

We very much look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

There hotel was very convenient for business in Manchester although the postcode needs work as the Sat Nav goes on past !!! But rooms are fine and the food is simple but good. Generally a good and well run hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank JDNSKI1
Daniel D, Interim Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear JDNSKI1

Thankyou for leaving a Tripadvisor review on your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Manchester East

I am very glad to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us here at Manchester East. I am delighted by your very kind comments and I will pass them along at our next team meeting.