“Nice place, great food, not too expensive.”
Review of Green Tea Restaurant - CLOSED

Green Tea Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: A refreshingly different Chinese restaurant Green Tea opened a few years ago and after my first visit I was reminded why I loved Chinese food so much. The food was contemporary in style, with only a short menu, with out the usual long list of meats and sauce combinations. So when this delightful little restaurant recently had a refurbishment I was keen to visit. The new interior is now as contemporary as the food. The updated menu has got even better, with just a few starters and mains. We shared starters of “Bang Bang Spicy Shredded Chicken Salad” and “Steamed Beef Jiaozi”. Both were really tasty, with the chicken salad having a real kick. My husband had “Braised Belly Pork Stew” for his main and it was so good I kept steeling it. My main of “Fire Cracking Chilli Chicken” was equally good, but lucky for me a little too hot for my husband. All the dishes on the new menu looked interesting and original and we will be back to try more. There is also a health eating menu which looked good. As the name suggests there is a range of interesting teas, with Eight Treasure Tea being my favorite, these arrive in a little glass teapot kept warm by a tea light. This a lovely relaxing little restaurant with very good interesting food and definitely worth a trip to West Didsbury for those who are weary of Manchester Chinatown’s “run of the mill” restaurants.
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We went there with friends, food was great, service was ok, however one of the waiters did not have a clue what any of the dishes were when he brought them out.
Delicious prawn crackers and mint tea.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Ordered a delivery from Green Tea, food was awful, salt & pepper chicken was greasy thick tasteless battered chicken, no heat, no spice, no chilli - bland. Salt & pepper chips were hard wet chips with no flavour, not an ounce of salt/pepper about them, spring rolls were weird tasting and chicken chow mein was a burnt and bland mess.

Would never order from this place again!

1  Thank Sinead89
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have eaten at Green Tea on many occasions, mainly because I get discount with a 'City Scene' card BUT this is still a great place. I think there are only about 8 tables which I think makes it a cosy atmosphere and this also adds to the level of service you receive. There is only ever one lady working, 2 if its very busy but I think taking your time only adds to a dining experience! All the food is of high quality and the menu is extensive, I would recommend.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We decided to go for a meal locally and as a leaflet came through for the restaurant we thought we would give it a go. It was ver busy but it became apparent that there was only one cook and with the orders for take out the time it took for the food to come. When it did it was very ordinary and the only redeeming thing was that we were on a high life card but we will not be returning.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We picked Green Tea because it's in the Tastecard scheme and unlike many places in the area offers a straight 50% off food for up to 4 diners. I was surprised to find the place almost empty on a Thursday evening and did wonder at first if we'd made a big mistake. No need to worry, the food was excellent.
The menu is - as others have commented - far too long. How a place with only 24 covers can offer a menu that runs to around 10-12 pages is a mystery to me. It looked like a recipe for disaster but the food was surprisingly good.

We chose from the 'pick the protein - pick the sauce' list and had tofu with green pepper and black bean sauce and squid with Tom Yum sauce. I was impressed that the food was not at all greasy or oily, that lots of vegetables were used in each dish and that the squid and tofu were each beautifully cooked. The prices are surprisingly low - I did actually wonder if we'd got the take away menu instead of the restaurant one.

On the down side the spice indications were all cockeyed. The black bean was supposed to be hot and wasn't whilst the medium hot Tom Yum was pretty hot and our friends green curry (labelled medium hot) was an absolute scorcher. I would suggest to reconfirm to the waitress when placing your order if you want something not too hot - or something extra hot. One other point for attention - Change the CD. We heard Robbie Williams' 'A Better Man' sun in Chinese by a woman THREE TIMES during the time we were there.

The tea menu was a delight - I loved the ginger tea and was impressed by the visuals of the chrysanthemum tea. Our total bill for starters, mains, tea and a couple of drinks each came to just under £50. Without the Tastecard it would have been around £20 each.

1  Thank Koshkha