“Terrile Takeaway”
Review of Green Tea Restaurant - CLOSED

Green Tea Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: A refreshingly different Chinese restaurant Green Tea opened a few years ago and after my first visit I was reminded why I loved Chinese food so much. The food was contemporary in style, with only a short menu, with out the usual long list of meats and sauce combinations. So when this delightful little restaurant recently had a refurbishment I was keen to visit. The new interior is now as contemporary as the food. The updated menu has got even better, with just a few starters and mains. We shared starters of “Bang Bang Spicy Shredded Chicken Salad” and “Steamed Beef Jiaozi”. Both were really tasty, with the chicken salad having a real kick. My husband had “Braised Belly Pork Stew” for his main and it was so good I kept steeling it. My main of “Fire Cracking Chilli Chicken” was equally good, but lucky for me a little too hot for my husband. All the dishes on the new menu looked interesting and original and we will be back to try more. There is also a health eating menu which looked good. As the name suggests there is a range of interesting teas, with Eight Treasure Tea being my favorite, these arrive in a little glass teapot kept warm by a tea light. This a lovely relaxing little restaurant with very good interesting food and definitely worth a trip to West Didsbury for those who are weary of Manchester Chinatown’s “run of the mill” restaurants.
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a takeaway from here last night - it was terrible and we won't be going back again. We had BBQ spare ribs to start which were in loads of sauce which was so greasy the fat had split out of it and it was really salty. Our mains - crispy chilli beef and a Thai king prawn dish were both rubbish. Everything was very salty and I suspect full of MSG (woke up during the night with a headache!). I was annoyed as the website really talks the talk in terms of simple healthy food & locally sourced, etc, etc but the food does not reflect this. We live in the area and try to patronise local businesses but this one was a mistake.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I wholeheartedly agree with previous comments - the menu change ruined the place. It used to have just a few items, each was well thought out, well presented and distinct. There's now over one hundred items, and there's no way a kitchen that small could hope to produce so many distinct dishes. The result is a very samey menu, where nothing stands out, and everything tastes pretty much identical and the quality is vastly reduced. I hope they change back, perhaps re-employing the old chef if it's changed, as it used to be a real asset to the area.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I first went to Green Tea about six months ago and loved the experience. The restaurant was decorated in a modern style and offered a very different setting to the "usual" Chinese restaurant. The menu was tiny, only about 6/7 mains to choose from, but this was great as it was easier to choose. Also the food was AMAZING. Everything tasted so fresh and delicately prepared. I felt that they could really focus on creating tasty, different and more modern Chinese food with a more limited menu.
Unfortunately the menu has been changed to one which looks more like a menu from a very average Chinese takeaway. All the simplicity and modern style of the previous menu has been taken away, and this completely changed my view of the restaurant. There is nothing special about the food served here anymore. We ordered one of the same dishes we had when the menu was smaller, and it was no way near the same quality. This was my favourite Chinese restaurant before the menu change, it is a real shame to have lost it.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Absolutely awful.
We live about 5 mins away so decided to try it instead of our usual Chinese take away just down the road from this one after getting a menu through the door. We ordered several dishes and a couple of starters, they took almost an hour to come. They forgot to deliver the drinks we had ordered & paid for & when I rang to have them sent over it took another 30 mins to get the drinks. Every dish was extraordinarily greasy. The bag containing spring rolls had so much grease that you could literally pour a stream of oil out of the bag. I don't believe the food was fresh. I ate a small amount of chow mein, a handful of chips & a spring roll & I felt very sick afterwards. The only positive was that the duck chow mein had a good amount of meat in it but I suppose that was balanced by the egg fried rice that had very little egg and, like everything else, a mountain of oil. Almost all the food was put in the bin which was an awful waste. The delivery driver was polite but I have little else good to say. Bad food, poor service. Will never order from here again; in a word: disgusting. I'd say go to Wok & Flame on Burton Rd instead, or try Jade Dragon or Laughing Buddha (both on Wilmslow Rd). With so many other Chinese places in Didsbury I'm amazed this place is still going if this is their usual standard.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

such a small restaurant. at first it felt like I was in someones living room. The food is top notch and the service can not be faulted