“The worst service I have every experienced.......... If you want a good evening don't go there!”
Review of Green Tea Restaurant - CLOSED

Green Tea Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating
Description: A refreshingly different Chinese restaurant Green Tea opened a few years ago and after my first visit I was reminded why I loved Chinese food so much. The food was contemporary in style, with only a short menu, with out the usual long list of meats and sauce combinations. So when this delightful little restaurant recently had a refurbishment I was keen to visit. The new interior is now as contemporary as the food. The updated menu has got even better, with just a few starters and mains. We shared starters of “Bang Bang Spicy Shredded Chicken Salad” and “Steamed Beef Jiaozi”. Both were really tasty, with the chicken salad having a real kick. My husband had “Braised Belly Pork Stew” for his main and it was so good I kept steeling it. My main of “Fire Cracking Chilli Chicken” was equally good, but lucky for me a little too hot for my husband. All the dishes on the new menu looked interesting and original and we will be back to try more. There is also a health eating menu which looked good. As the name suggests there is a range of interesting teas, with Eight Treasure Tea being my favorite, these arrive in a little glass teapot kept warm by a tea light. This a lovely relaxing little restaurant with very good interesting food and definitely worth a trip to West Didsbury for those who are weary of Manchester Chinatown’s “run of the mill” restaurants.
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I went out for dinner with a friend and the service just ruined our evening. We ordered from the Xmas menu which wasn’t bad value for money. After 30mins of waiting we complained that we were still waiting for our starter and we hadn’t received our prawn crackers which should have been complimentry on arrival. After 45mins our starter of chicken and sweet corn soup finally arrived. After 1hr and 45 mins we finally received our sharing platter which was cold! Every table was complaining, people waiting 30mins for the bill; there were only 6 tables in the restaurant a total of 12 people! Nearly 2 hrs in we were chasing our main to be told that it will probably be about 10mins, we had enough; paid for our drinks and left..

This restaurant used to be brilliant, I will never go again!

Anyway my friend and I ended up in Pinchjo's were we got the last table. We had a brilliant meal served within 30mins of arrival and the service was fantastic!

• Visited November 2011

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A lovely place for a mid-week treat”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Green tea was a mid week treat for my husband and I, our visit partly influenced by discount card membership, partly because of the new menu. The dining room was nearly full on arrival, and despite only one front of house staff member, service was adequate. The food was fresh and clean tasting – no gloopy sauces or MSG. The wine list is fairly limited by reasonably priced. Definitely one of the better Chinese meals I have had in Manchester outside of China Town.

• Visited September 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Shockingly bad service - although food pleasant enough. Would not go back.”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We ate at Green Tea Restaurant last night for the first time - mainly as we were having a few drinks on Burton Road, we were hungry and we noticed there were tables available. However, we won't be returning.

When we went in to the resataurant around 9pm there was one table occupied by a party of 6 women. The waitress tried to show us to a tiny table right next to them - but we asked to sit elsewhere as there was plenty of room. She shrugged and indicated we should choose any table.

Although the food was fine - fresh, hot and decent sized portions, and the Chinese beer reasonably priced we felt that we may as well have got a takeaway as there was no service to speak of. The beers were warm as was the glass of tepid tap water that I requested.

After taking our order, the one waitress, settled herself behind the counter and started to read; she was completely engrossed, not looking up at all for a full 15 minutes (honestly I timed her), so we found it difficult to attract her attention to request a second drink. In the end we managed to get a response by clinking our empty beer bottles (something I would never normally do - but the only other options were shouting across the restaurant or going over and tapping her on the arm) and then she rather reluctantly made her way over to us to ask what we wanted. It appeared that taking the initial order and sorting the bill were her only responsibilities, as the food was brought to us by someone else directly from the kitchen.

On paying she asked if I wanted to add a gratuity - which I declined. Having worked in bars and restaurants when I was younger, I know how important tips are and I am always generous, but in this case as we had received no service from her at all, there was no reason to tip.

We wouldn't bother going back because frankly we could have the same or a better experience more cheaply by getting a takeaway or cooking Chinese food at home. In these credit crunch days we eat out a lot less than previously so maybe it is more important to feel that you've had a treat, and we didn't. The food was quite good but not outstanding in any way. It is a nice little restaurant so a real shame they can't be bothered with the service or the overall customer experience.

• Visited September 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best restaurant on Burton Rd”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Green tea serves amazing food time and time again. Being a local resident, I've eaten in all the Burton rd restaurants. The food here is faultless every time (and I've been a lot!).

Equally, the service is warm and welcoming, and my usual is always remembered. I'd recommend sizzling king prawns, which isn't on the menu but they happily serve it on request. Delicious. Best Chinese food I've eaten.

“No MSG Hangover”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

You know that horrendous feeling you get after eating a chinese takeaway? The MSG hanogver - where you want to gouge your eyes out and drink 5 pints of water? None of that here!
Really nice little resturant, small menu but all the food is lovely and really well priced. They even have a healthier menu if you are so inclined. We are not inclined. Always something to choose from and the service is also very good. I don't know what it is like on a Friday or Saturday but we have been a couple of times on a Sunday and it was perfect.

• Visited June 2011