“Shockingly bad, I'm 21 and have been twice and Both times were equally as bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Cruz 101

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cruz 101
Ranked #93 of 209 Nightlife in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Top gay club in Manchester with special events and performers every night of the week.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Shockingly bad, I'm 21 and have been twice and Both times were equally as bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

The bouncers need to come bk down to earth and stop judging everyone as soon as they seem them, well it gives them a purpose in life I suppose

6 Thank Liamog71

Manchester, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Awful Doorstaff, lacklustre club”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

The doorstaff are some of the rudest and most aggressive I have encountered and have a very outdated, prejudiced and ridiculous view that all gay and bi men should be camp and flouncy.
Every time I have attempted to get in I am subjected to a grilling whereby I have to prove my sexuality, which is embarrassing and stressful.
The last time I went they didn't believe me and I was told to 'Eff off'.
This is a problem I never encounter in any other bar or club in the village.
If you do manage to get past the rude bouncers, you will find a pretty lacklustre club that is basically a provincial town gay club (think Chester, Nottingham, etc), but a bit bigger.
And being charged £8-£12 for the privilege of experiencing it.
And that's not even starting to touch upon the awful music and nasty clientele.

It really is sad that Manchester, supposedly famous for its gay scene can only offer this.
Now Essential is shut, and Legends (which is excellent) is soon to be demolished, Cruz will be the only sad offering left.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Kernowcub
London, United Kingdom
392 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 360 helpful votes
“Provincial nightclub. Can be good for some or awful for others; it's all a matter of perspective”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Crux is a bit of a trashy sort of place. I've been here 4 times over the past 6 years and it hasn't changed at all. They have their formula for giving a certain type of gays a good night and that's that - they won't change their model just because some don't like it.
Cruz is quite big - the main floor (on minus 1) plays vocal pop of the like of Kylie and Madonna. It would therefore appeal to guys as girls who like that - not to worldly wise house music aficionados - so don't expect other music. Don't expect requests either - the DJ is doing his job and he'll have a set playlist in mind and will know how to mix X into Y and then into Z to play a good continuous mix of music - suddenly asking for P, Q or R could really mess up their entire routine.
Downstairs (level minus 2) is darker, with a lower ceiling and a more intimate "underground" vibe. It plays more dance music, psy house, or progressive house.

It is worth knowing in advance that the main floor is usually very Coll in temperature and the minus 2 level gets very hot. Dress accordingly!

As for the comments about the attitude of the door staff, I found them very friendly and amicable and very welcoming - but there again I'm a gay man, not a gay girl, and I'm Cruz's target audience - plus I look like a classic gay clubber, with tattoos, muscles, six-pack and short hair. If you are a gay girl you will have to give the door staff more reason to explain why you may want to be there - they really DON'T want a large group of drunk straight women (eg a hen party) hassling their regular clientele - so if you are a huge group of gay girls either consider Manchester's lesbian bars or accept that you may need to explain yourselves a bit.

Overall, during all my visits to Cruz I have had a fun time here - so this posting is to help manage potential visitors' expectations...

3 Thank Neil R
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Cheap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Cheap and cheerful, great drinks promo's and very large inside with plenty of space to sit and to dance.

Visited April 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Degrading & upsetting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

Wandered over to Cruz 101 for a few drinks on a Friday night, the bouncers were really rude, reminding us that it was a gay venue as we queued. Given that I live in the area & am gay I was basically left standing in the rain trying to convince a complete stranger of my sexuality which I found very demeaning and unnecessary. All the other clubs and bars in the area are much less uptight and don’t grill customers in this way! I would strongly advise against going here, especially if you aren’t from Manchester as you will made to feel very small & I really felt it spoiled my night.

Visited December 2011