“Very Gothic”

Ranked #1 of 187 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to The John Rylands Library, one of the world's finest collections of rare books and manuscripts. The John Rylands Library is part of The University of Manchester. Please note that we open at 12noon on Mondays and Sundays
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Really great old building and fantastic stained glass windows. Sort of feel as if you are in a Harry Potter set. For people who enjoy old loos- they have a must visit 100 year old loos- sort of interesting. Well worth a visit if its raining.

There are newer reviews for The John Rylands Library

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Such a beautiful Library which i used many times as a student. The architecture is fantastic it's such a magical place very Harry Potter. A lot of great literature a mixture of first edition and very old books from around the world. The staff are very friendly and will help you with anything you need. There's a nice little Cafe and a shop too. Would definitely recommend a visit you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Lots of history, intriguing building, fabulous architecture, well worth a visit. Will most definitely visit again, nice coffee shop too.

1  Thank Anne K
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Walking around Manchester, one of my friends spotted this library and we decided to go inside on a whim. If there wasn't anything to see, we decided we would leave. Good thing we checked it out - it was probably my favorite thing we did/saw the whole day!!!
At first when you walk into the gift shop, it is very modern, but as soon as you go up the staircase and into the "real" library, you will be shocked. It is gorgeous and looks like it is right out of Harry Potter (sure to entertain kids, teenagers, and adults alike)!!! You do have to be very quiet, though, it being a library and all, so keep that in mind with small children. We explored the entire library and enjoyed every part of it. There are shelves and shelves of old books, as well as quiet corridors, grand staircases, and a large, beautiful study area.
This library is the most alluring library I've ever been to. I felt like it was magical (maybe that is just because I swear parts of Harry Potter were filmed there) and I relished every moment we were there. It is a MUST to check out in Manchester. Everyone will enjoy it - trust me!!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Beautiful place to visit and wander around, and definitely good to visit on a weekday when it's quiet. Only thing that disappointed me was the exhibits. I went to see the Morbid Miscellany exhibition but it was only two cabinets.