“Fantastic Food but Table Turned!!”

Rosso Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Rosso Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 2,274 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Housed in a Grade II Listed building, Rosso Restaurant Manchester presents fine Italian cuisine and exquisite wines in a magnificent and contemporary setting. Owned by Rio Ferdinand, Rosso has glamorous cocktails, regular live jazz and a cool celebrity crowd. Full of delicious dishes, the Rosso menu features fresh pasta, pizza and risotto, along with fine meat and fish dishes.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food but Table Turned!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked a dinner reservation for 7pm on the 27th July and fully aware that we would only have the table for 2 hours. Not a problem.

We were seated and immediately asked what we'd be having to drink. We of course, asked for a few minutes to peruse the wine list. The waiter was back within a few minutes and took our drink orders. Fine.

We then placed our orders for our starters and mains. We initially asked for some bread and olives to begin, followed by starters and the main....as you do.

By 7:15pm - we had been provided with our starters. While eating the starters - we were given our olives and bread. The starter plates were taken away and we were left to enjoy the olives.

During this time, we heard our waiter approach another member of staff and mutter 'give them 5 minutes then bring their mains'.

It had literally been a few minutes and we were provided with our mains (the time now is 7:20pm) while we were still eating the olives!!

My partner and I slowly ate our mains as we wanted to enjoy the food and we were partially full from the starters. While taking the time to enjoy our food, members of staff, including the maitre d' , were continuously looking at their watches and pointing to our table.

We finally finished our main and within seconds it seemed, our plates were cleared and we were being offered dessert. We asked for a few minutes to decide but it seemed, we couldn't be left alone. At least 2 or 3 members of staff asked if we had made up our minds!

We finally ordered our desserts and they turned up within 3 minutes (literally - yes I timed it). We ordered the cherry pie which wasn't even luke warm. It was more of a cherry soup in a cold tart casing.

During the course of the meal, the waiter continued to pour our wine which at first, we thought was great and very attentive however, towards the end, it appeared we were just been hurried along.

After the wine, we ordered some more drinks which seemed to bemuse the surrounding staff.

Finally at 8:15pm, we accepted defeat and asked for the bill, service charge included!!!

All in the all, the food was fab (save for dessert) and it was a shame that we were hurried out of the place. We could not fully enjoy the food given that we were not provided with at least 10 minutes between meals.

We had our reservation until 9pm (as per booking confirmation) but it seemed staff wanted us out their hair by 7:45pm!!

I booked the reservation 2 months in advance so it was a shame to be table turned the way we did after looking forward to it for so long.

I voiced my opinion on Twitter however, the restaurant replied and advised that they would pass on my concerns to the waiters. I however, believe it is more restaurant policy than the staff itself.

I will not be returning.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Amie P

• Greek first
“Beautiful”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stumbled upon rosso really last night on a weekend trip to manchester. Got to say we were very pleasantly surprised! The setting was beautiful! Food was amazing! The only thing I would say is that the staff do seem quite stretched. And one of the waiters was quite rude but that may of been a language barrier. But in general I really enjoyed my experience the cocktails are so good! Very special place!

• Visited July 2013
Lymm, United Kingdom
“rio's restaurant ??”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

well i dont care if rio owns this place or whatever so i am gonna be honnest... its very very nice and the service was great a bit posh inside and the toilets were immaculate, always a good sign ! the food was lovely its a bit like a jumped up pizza express really though didnt blow me away but still very good san carlo and rosso have got great reps but they both are like dressed up fancy pizza expresses !

Visited July 2013
Biddulph, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant on a few occasions now, with just my wife, with a group of friends, and today with my family including parents and my 3 year old daughter. It is nothing short of fantastic, food, atmosphere, price, the architecture,. Pay it a visit! Italian staff taking your order, paying you attention. Great children's menu. No fault. Lunch time menu is great value! Bottle of wine for £5 in Manchester is unheard of. But not here.!! We loved it.

Visited July 2013
“Rosso ruined - never going back”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Went here about a year before this visit and would have rated it a 4 on everything. This visit very different. The receptionist was plain stupid. Could not even get our coat check organised. The waitress we started with was fantastic. Super attentive despite being bossed around by the maitre d' this way and that fussing over the seating arrangements for a party of 20 or so. Obviously more important than us. The food was nice but MASSIVELY overpriced. Our wonder waitress was replaced (end of her shift) by a cocky (despite being useless) twit. Slow, forgot stuff completely. Spilled things. I almost refused to but my wife made me pay so I paid in cash (about £90 per head) and the guy assumed the change was his. I hate that. I would have tipped the waitress personally but could not. I asked for the change which took ten minutes. I had to explain to the dunce receptionist and the moron maitre d' that I wanted the change as the waiter had disappeared. It took a further ten minutes to get the right coats back.

• Visited November 2012