“MessUp on Thomas Street”
Review of Teacup Kitchen

Teacup Kitchen
Ranked #4 of 45 Dessert in Manchester
Cuisines: Contemporary, Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Where shall I begin?

Heard a lot about this place so decide to take some friends to the what the craic is about.

Surely enough we arrive mid afternoon on a Sunday and the place is bustling like a New Deli cattle market. Have to cue for about 10 mins to get in, which is fine - it actually made me more excited about the cake fest I was duly going to experience. WRONG.

My friends had just been told that some Natwest big wig had cancelled their bank card so told me to go to the table while they finished a phone call outside. So I get shown to my table by a friendly waitress and park myself down ready to peruse the menu. After about 13 seconds the very same waitress asks if I am ready to order to which I reply:

'Sorry, I have three other people coming they wont be long, is that ok?'

Fine she says. Then I get asked by about 5 other waitresses in less than 10 minutes whether I was ready to order. Now I must admit I am a little hot headed sometimes and it was only when reminiscing the wise words of George Lucas 'anger leads to hate and hate leads to the dark side' that I managed to produce a wry smile and again point out I was waiting for the final party member (the Mrs would be late for her own Bar Mitzvah). This last waitress could have probably sensed the annoyance in my voice and reacted to this by looking at me in disgust and walking off.

Finally we are all there and within two minutes decide what we want. But guess what, there is no one in sight to serve us. For about 10 minutes all four of us were doing that awkward stare at a waitress in a none pervy way to get service, but to no avail.

Eventually we get served by the miserable waitress who then decided to look at us with distain when we kindly asked for water to go with out £4.50 milkshake and £4.00 slice of cake, each.

Anyway if you've bothered to read this rant so far I would understand it if you thought this was a subjective review of an experience not helped by my own irritability when bombarded with staff whom seemed like they wanted a fast table turnover to get that front of house cue under control.

However out of the 4 cakes we received two were dry and one labelled something like Super-zesty-zang-bonanza lemon cake actually missed any considerable lemon taste. The milkshake certainly did not bring any boys to the bar, it lacked taste and for £4.50 I was frankly expecting more. I left feeling dejected and with a dry mouth which may have been avoided had the tap water arrived with out order (it didnt).

In reflection - not enough quality in the food or drink for the high prices charged and one or two of the staff could do with working on customer service (importantly there were lots of other staff who were happy looking and helpful).

Will not be returning in a hurry.

Just so you know I am now at home calming down and having a cup of yorkshire tea and a hob nob all for £0.29 (including heating the kettle and allowances for semi-skimmed milk).

2  Thank SamGregson
Rebecca T, Guest Relations Manager at Teacup Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi Charlotte & Sam,

We're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy every part of your visit with us. We've taken on a few new staff lately, which is why some may have been eager to welcome you to the restaurant and get you settled in with drinks and cakes. We know that visiting Teacup is an indulgent treat for many people, so we love for you stay as long as you like enjoying our cakes and treats.

We hope you try us again, and recommend the flourless chocolate cake and Chuck Berry smoothie.

Thank you for your feedback on the Lemon-Zing-A-Licious cake, we'll pass this onto the kitchen.

Best wishes
Teacup.

There are newer reviews for Teacup Kitchen

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Walked past here today and saw the food so decided to stop and que for a table. The staff were excellent, some of the best service I've had and believe me I stay in 5 star hotels with less pleasant staff. The food I had ,eggs benedict and the wife's salmon eggs meal was absolutely fantastic.
I can't believe anyone can say the staff were bad, I don't know their names but the guy with a beard, what a true professional you are . I saw you deal with a cake order to take away and the customer fealt special, you dealt with us and we felt special. We were kept informed of how long we'd have to wait, given free samples of cake whilst we waited etc truly fabulous. Also the guy with the big silver necklace and blonde flick, very good service. Well done ill definitely be back again. I highly recommend this place

2  Thank gazza03
Reviewed March 8, 2013

what a treat, a cool iconic destination in Manchester that lives up to the hype... I always find a queue outside an establishment as a sign that this is down to it's popularity, this is definitely the case for Teacup! After waiting a while we were seated in the window, the greeting was friendly and not over the top, the atmosphere was buzzing and the line up of cakes on display dazzling!

The service was excellent, the coffee superb and the cake was homemade at it's very best. Overall Teacup lives up to it's reputation as being a great place for the perfect cup of tea and cake - and then some. Even though the place was hammered, the staff were some of the friendliest and happy it's been my pleasure to encounter....

So, if you are not adverse to a small wait due to everyone wanting to go there, then get yourself down to Tomas Street and Teacup, I cannot recommend it enough, as you can probably tell I am a BIG fan!!

3  Thank nick h
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Was invited by email to go and have a toastie on the house & give teacup another go after I was disappointed last time. Made a special effort to go back with the same friend who I went with last time and was unfortunately disappointed again.

Great tea, and had a lovely waitress to begin with but felt let down that she left us half way through and didn't seem to have passed the message on to other servers that we were there for a comp meal etc! I always think, from a hospitality perspective it is general practise for a manager or acting manager to come and have a word with someone they know has come in after being disappointed.Unfortunately, the service was poor and nothing of the sort happened.

The 'sandwiches' menu is actually still, toasted ciabattas. A little confusing and silly really, it would make more sense to simply say that they are ciabattas....?! My friend ordered the fish finger sandwich and it was explained to us that this is actually a wrap and not even a sandwich? Strange to say the least....

Had a lovely pot of tea each although my teapot was chipped inside around the lid part which was quite shabby but otherwise full marks for tea. Sandwiches/ciabattas/wraps were fine... seemed bizarre to have a warm plate with cold coleslaw on though and presentation was poor. For £4.50 I would expect more than a ciabatta and a small heap of coleslaw which was actually very nice so would have hoped for more! Fish finger wrap was nice but again...presentation was poor and was distinctly average food considering the price.

Service overall very poor, got ignored for a good twenty minutes before someone took our plates, another 10-15 were spent waiting for someone to come and speak to us about a bill/anything really or take our cups! The guy comped my toastie, not my friends however. It was fine, but the hospitality is apalling and they don't seem to have a sense of customer service or to even appreciate our existence! An odd experience, such a shame teacup has lost its charm.

If you want tea and cake and to be left undisturbed then go for it, because I love supporting a local business but if you want hospitality, customer service and an attentive staff who know how to look after their customers then I honestly wouldn't bother. Was nice for them to invite me back though.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The cakes are brilliant as we discovered on our last trip, but this time we had breakfast too (not in that order, we have some class!) and what a delight. You must be patient at busy times to get a table but you can also sit at the little bar area and get up close and personal with the cakes. Yummy!

2  Thank jenniferaEdin