“Cheap but fabulous for our needs”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road
Ranked #56 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Cheap but fabulous for our needs”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Went to see a band at Academy one, only 15 min walk from hotel. On arrival manager was lovely, gave us extra late check out at no charge and gave us directions to the venue. Room lovely and clean, pillow selection great, shower was heavenly, everything we needed for a stay in manchester that didn't break the bank. Thanks to the manager and all staff on that night and morning. Would stay again. Parking nearby at varying rates depending upon what you choose to do. Wifi good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarleyA757
HIEX-Oxford-Rd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that my staff were able to make the difference.

Jonathan Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed here for a conference and had a wonderful nights sleep which is sometimes hard to come by in hotels close to train stations and busy roads. The soundproofing is excellent!!

Free wifi everywhere and breakfast included make this great value and there are car parks near by which offer very reasonable prices for 24 hour stays.

Just a short walk away are plenty of restaurants and cafes and it is perfectly situation for the University of Manchester buildings which is where our conference was held. Would definitely stay here again next time I visit Manchester even if it isnt for work.

Room Tip: Book early!! We arranged it all quite late meaning that only standard twin rooms were left -- but un...
1 Thank Ian F
HIEX-Oxford-Rd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay but sorry that we could not allocate you a double bed.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I booked this hotel mainly based on its location as I had a conference to attend, but I was also tempted by the discounted rate it had on offer and the usual rate of the rooms led me to believe it was one of the better quality hotels....that sadly doesn't seem to be the case. Credit where its due, the staff are friendly and helpful (even the poor receptionist who was full of a cold was still great). The hotel is very clean, the showers in the rooms are great and the lounge area is comfortable but this is let down by old worn, exceptionally uncomfortable beds, breakfast which included scrambled egg that tasted like it had never seen an egg and tinned mandarin segments and, on the final night, the guests screaming. banging doors and running in the corridors at 2:40am.
Another frustrating thing (which hopefully other travelers believe to be important too) is the claim that this hotel has a commitment to environmental sustainability. I comment on this as this is important to me. If the claims are true then why do I need to put the do not disturb sign on the door to prevent my room being cleaned every day as its not needed and simply wastes water and resources, and even when I did that why was there a bag of clean towels left hanging on my door for me when I didn't need them. I have to say that I find this common in many hotels I stay unfortunately so Holiday Inn Express isn't alone with this.
So here are some of the claims the hotel makes that really didn't match up to my experience:
1. A free breakfast included with your stay - not only are we committed to a great night’s sleep, we’re committed to starting your day right too....not my experience of breakfast and I imagine the cost of breakfast has already been added to the room rate!
2. "Comfortable beds make you want to stay put" and "a comfortable room that leaves you relaxed and recharged"....I was worn out after spending 4 nights on a very uncomfortable mattress having to use half of my quilt to lie on so I couldn't feel the springs as much, and being woken up in the early hours of Sunday morning.
3. "more than a basic business hotel"..... It seemed to me to cater more for the groups of people staying in Manchester for a night out, being squashed in a lift with a group of drunk men, still drinking from the cans they had is not what I expect from a business hotel.
I wish that their statement "Holiday Inn Express notice and take care of the small things that matter to make your experience a pleasurable one" was true because then I could have left a positive review.

2 Thank yelyah71
HIEX-Oxford-Rd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and give us your feedback following your recent stay.

Your feedback is important to us and assists us in our aim to constantly improve our services and accommodations. I have considered your comments regarding the daily cleaning of your room and the use of a Do Not Disturb hanger. Unfortunately, the majority of guests who stay in our hotel do require their room attending to every day as they believe that this is something that is included in the price that they have paid. However, I have taken on board your comments regarding the spare set of towels and tea and coffee and introduced a new policy in the hotel. We will now ask guests who leave the Do Not Disturb hangers if they require fresh amenities and only supply those who request them.

However, I do need to take exception to a number of the points that you have raised in your review.

Firstly, the breakfast that we offer is free and not included in the rate of the room. Our hotel is competitively priced in our local market and often very similar to hotels that charge an additional cost per breakfast to their guests, this is not the case with Holiday Inn Express. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy the offering that we provided but I have taken on board the comments that you have realised with regard to the egg and mandarin.

Secondly, although you found the bed uncomfortable, did you request that you room moved for the remainder of your stay? The mattress is coming up to four years old and is turned on a quarterly basis. We will endeavour to make all of our guests stay comfortable and we would not want a guest to spend an extended stay on a bed that was really so uncomfortable that it required them to use the bedding as additional protection.

Thirdly, while we do cater for our business clients in that we offer free Wi-Fi and desk and chair in the room to work at, we are also situated in a busy city centre that attracts many guests at weekends that are not in Manchester for business and are here for social activities. Whilst there is no excuse for drunken guests disturbing the sleep of other guests in the hotel we do endeavour to keep these instances to a minimum by offering security during the night and conducting regular floor walks. Your stay did include a very busy weekend when there were a number of groups staying with us.

I am truly disappointed that you did not enjoy our hotel but find your comments and feedback of great worth. Thank you again.

London United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was booked into this hotel on 2nd and 3rd March 2014 , I found it very comfortable breakfasts were good and staff could not have ben more hopeful. Though this was not in an area I personally would have chosen. It served it's purpose .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris91_11
HIEX-Oxford-Rd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am pleased that you found the hotel and staff to your liking and hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night for a gig at the academy. Staff were very helpful in giving information and booking cabs for us. Breakfast was lovely, Great hot drinks machine! If I was one of those fussy gits who had to find a complaint about something Id mention the paintwork in the bedroom (217) needs a touch up due to a huge scrape along wall, but that really didnt bother us! More important is the cleanliness. Bathroom was modern and spotless. Will definitely be back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natalie85uk
Thank you giving us your feedback following your recent stay.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and welcome your comments. We have already looked at the mark in your room.

Many thanks

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I've had some hit and miss experiences with the Holiday Inn franchise over the years, from mostly mediocre to some pretty negative experiences, and one or two good ones. However, this particular Holiday Inn is definitely the best one I've stayed at.

Firstly, the location is extremely convenient; if you're arriving by train at Piccadilly, it's an easy 15 minute walk or a very short cab ride. To check in you need to go down below street level upon arriving; the check in area, like with many Holiday Inns, is also a bar area, which is open quite late. I found the staff very friendly and courteous.

The room was HUGE. I actually ended up in a disabled room, which perhaps explains the large size; the bathroom, in particular, was enormous. The bedroom was wonderfully spacious with a huge, comfortable double bed, a sofa, a desk and big windows. I stayed for two nights and slept very well on both.

My only minor gripe is that despite the site saying that there's free WIFI, the free WIFI only allows you email access; if you want a proper broadband connection to do whatever you want, then you need to pay about £10 (I can't recall the exact amount but it was somewhere in this region) per day. I do feel the free WIFI claim on their site is therefore somewhat misleading, because who only needs email access?

There's a Spar nearby if you need drinks or food, and the hotel is located in the center of town with lots of pubs, restaurants and shops nearby. If I had to go to Manchester again, I'd probably stay here again. I recommend booking through one of those third party booking sites, as you'll get the room at about half the price that they'd charge you directly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Bokaroo
Thank you for your kind words with regard to our hotel, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We are in the process of changing the wording on the Wi-Fi as we do provide free internet access not just to look at your emails. The £5 charge (now reduced to £2.50) is for enhanced speed and ideal if downloading. I am sorry that you found this confusing.

However, I would say that you are always guaranteed the lowest rate when booking direct on the Holiday Inn Express website.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I have stayed here for 3 nights.. Reception staff very welcoming and swiftly went through the check in process. I had booked a twin room but wanted a double room really. The duty manager was unable to change my room on the first night but swapped me over to a double the following day. The very friendly lady on reception was good to her word and swapped my room, again all done in a helpful and "no problem" attitude. I had a room on the 8th and 9th floor. No noise issues in either room, and both were clean in good decorative condition. Good breakfast in a clean dining room. I needed some assistance on directions to get around Manchester, the man on the information desk, was very helpful and supplied me with some maps to assist me on my way. Free wi-fi throughout the hotel, quite a good speed too.

Will stay here again the next time I'm in Manchester.

Room Tip: Ask for a room from the 8th floor upwards. I think this may avoid the noise from the roads at the f...
1 Thank pete9412
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review of our hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to provide you with the room type that you really wanted.

We look forward to seeing you again.