Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road
Ranked #54 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Quick trip”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here for two nights fri-sat 31st oct & 1st nov. Good clean modern hotel, with capable friendly staff. quiet considering the location, which is handy to the universities and the city centre. Just down the road from the Palace theatre. Breakfast was basic but good for a budget hotel, with a sausage and scrambled egg hot breakfast if you wanted it. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location, only a short walk to the city centre. The car park is a short walk away.

Breakfast was very busy, but there are warnings in the lift of what will be the busy times. The staff work really hard & are very polite.

The only downside were the beds. The main bed was very uncomfortable, but the sofa bed that our son used was like a bed of nails. The springs could be felt & made it really uncomfortable.

Stayed October 2013
Gloucester, UK
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I am not conscious, when assessing my experiences of a hotel, of mentally working my way down a series of boxes, allocating to each a number between 1 and 5, then making an average score to produce an overall figure to populate the Trip Advisor overall rating. But I guess for each of us there exists a subconcious list of what we expect. So what would my list include? Location. Ease of boking. Check-in experience. General atmosphere of the place. Speed of the lifts to take you to your room. Quality of furnishings. Cleanliness. And so on.

The Holiday Inn Express on Oxford Road in Manchester ticked all of these boxes - and a lot more. Room layout. Tea/coffee making facilities, Comfort of the bed. Bathroom. This is what I expect from a Holiday Inn. So in what areas did it fail to please?

Well, one thing that one does like to do in a Hotel is sleep. I don't think that's too much to ask is it? But I didn't. Not much, anyway. It's not the Hotel's fault that some thoughtless individual decided to give other guests the benefit of his or her choice in heavy rock music from 10.45 onward. Nor that the traffic on the Oxford Road apparently makes the same amount of noise at 11.00pm as it does at 11.00am. But neither of these was helping me as I settled down to read for what amounted to an hour.

By the time Reception told meat midnight (following two phone calls to complain) that they could not find the source of the 'music', other guests had, for some inexplicable reason, decided it was coming from room 718 - mine. That earned me a prolonged banging on the wall from someone and a number of phone calls, with nobody on the other end. At 12.15 Reception came into my room and agreed there was music, but they could not identify its source either. I was offered another room, 1003. Up until now, I could hardly blame the Hotel for anything. It's just a pity I had been awake since 3.45 that morning!

Room 1003 greeted me with the usual 18oC icy blast of aircon that Holiday Inns think their guests enjoy. Having neutralised the aircon I crawled into bed. And lay there, awake, listening to the water tank above the room somewhere fill up! Eventually it did, just as a fan or similar piece of equipment started up, and continued until, exhausted with frustration, I fell asleep. Well after 1.00.

When I checked out, I told my story, but I am afraid that I was offered only an apology. Frankly I expected more, considering the discomfort to which I had been subjected.

So it failed in two areas, one was the sleep experience (or not, as the case might be) and the other was check-out, where, (especially as a Prioroty Club Gold level member), I expected some recompense for their inability to provide me with a quiet room. Twice.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Oxford Road are quieter. Room 1003 is noisy (water tanks, fans). Residents who li...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JAGBrown
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear JAGBrown,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service and the location of the hotel. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the AC unit in the room has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Janice A
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Very nice holiday inn in a great location just 5 minutes from Piccadilly and Princess street.

Staff were very friendly with clean rooms and comfy beds. Also very well priced for the location would stay again.

The breakfast is awful (as with all holiday inn express), it is free but do yourself a favor and nip to the weatherspoons down the road.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Kodak747,

Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. It is nice to know that you found our staff to be friendly and rooms comfortable. However, it is regrettable that the breakfast served did not meet your liking. I have taken note of your feedback and this shall be addressed accordingly with our team to consider for improvements.

Despite this, I hope the next time your travels bring you back to the area you choose us again for your lodging needs.

Pam G
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here because there was a good offer available. The hotel was busy with Real Sociedad supporters, I was a minority Man United supporter during my stay. The staff were wonderful, very helpful, always smiling no matter how busy they were. The hotel is spotless,comfortable and well located. If there is as good an offer, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Not the best experience of Holiday Inn Express.
Reception did not go well, they had lost my payment details then gave me a key for the wrong room, I was then allocated room 311. Room 311 (and I would assume the same room on all floors) is basically sub-standard. It is triangular in shape with a block taken out for the bathroom. This results in the foot of the bed almost touching the wall, the TV at an angle which stops it being easily watched from the chair a the far end of the room. There is a desk slotted into a small space between the bathroom and the end of the room, almost unusable without hitting the wall as demonstrated by the state of the plaster behind the chair. The bathroom was fine.
Breakfast is the usual Holiday Inn Express buffet.

I have stayed in many of the hotels in this brand (including this one) before and found them first class. This was my worst experience.

Still the chap on reception when I checked out was very unresponsive to my comments about the room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Andy W,

We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guest to stay. We apologize for the unfortunate incident relating to our hotel front desk and if you found the room accommodations less than satisfactory. Your comments will help us improve our services and offer a great experience for our guest. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Cardiff
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights on a girls weekend to Manchester. Picked the hotel as it was the cheapest available by some stretch at £60 each for the two nights and it did triple rooms.

Location was great, short taxi ride from Piccadilly station and surrounded by various bars, coffee shops and places to eat. Also only about a 15 minute walk up to the Arndale shopping centre.

Staff were helpful and check in was nice and quick. The rooms were a good size and there was a choice of hard and soft pillows although the beds weren't the most comfortable. One of my friends was also in love with the shower gel provided and although not the most powerful the shower was lovely and big.

We all love a good breakfast but the one provided wasn't the best. However it was free and was adequate enough if you're hungry. There are signs up to explain the busy times, it's pretty much common sense, and you will queue on a weekend if you turn up later. It's mainly continental with cereal, muffins, a choice of breads etc and three hot items of beans, sausages and scrambled eggs. Also a variety of hot drinks and juices available.

Overall would definitely stay here again if we could get rooms for a similar price or even a little but more. Was a perfect base for our weekend away.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends