“Great value and great location!”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road
Ranked #56 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
“Great value and great location!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friends stayed here on a girls weekend away. Great value for money and great location!! Room was very clean and modern! Shower was nice! Would definitely stay here again and breakfast is free. Bonus!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Lauram1991

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Decent hotel 1 minute walk away from the Victoria train station. The hotel itself is bang next door to a Revolution bar and the hotel itself have guest cards you can use to get 50% off food and drinks or 2-4-1 deals.

The hotel rooms themselves are basic but ours had a fantastic bathroom with a very large shower. The bed is comfortable but its a bit like laying on a slab of jelly, it doesnt seem firm enough.

Breakfast was ok, choices we had were various pastries, toast, cereals and eggs and sausages as well as hot drinks and fresh juices.

Walking to deansgate etc is about a 10-15min walk and other hotels are closer but we wanted a hotel fairly close to the Apollo (5min in a taxi)

For the price we paid its definitely worth it and we wouldnt hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank superblades2k2
Paignton
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Clean hotel although room basic. Staff ok not overly welcoming. The main gripe was breakfast it was manic, the area where the breakfast is situated is badly designed and too small leading to massive queues. The drinks need to be taken away from the food area as having hot drinks, juices and cereal the first three items just slows everything up. A one night stay is enough

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear ValC190920,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, I wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night for wifes birthday having booked to see a show at the opera house. First impressions were good and the cleaniness of the hotel was noticed straight away.
The hotel was ideally located next to oxford road train station and short work to the centre.
The Room was comfortable and spacious and the bathroom was large and modern with a shower to die for!!! Wanted to transport it back home lol!!
Breakfast in the morning was Well prezentem and a.good.choice of cereals, cooked e.t.c
Check out was swift and all staff were friendly and helpful.
Will highly recommend this hotel and will be back in the future.

• Stayed April 2013
HIEX-Oxford-Rd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay.

Your comments are most welcome.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was extremly happy with this hotel I booked the wrong holiday inn express and the lady on the desk went out of her way to get it swapped for me even though they were expecting a coach load of football fan for the city vs utd match any minute. The room was okay was a little cramped once you pulled down the sofa bed and it wasnt to comfortable, but the main double bed was great! Breakfast in the morning was very appetising however not a lot of choice on the cooked breakfast side, one of the staff walked past and noticed the children saying they didnt like blueberry muffins and she appeared a few seconds later with 4 mini chocolate muffins even though they were not out on display! All in all for the staff 5 out of 5 and for the actual hotel 3 out 5.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights because I had business at the University of Manchester, which is within easy walking distance of the hotel. I stay in a lot of hotels over the course of a year and would definitely not stay in this one on future trips to Manchester.

It took three people to check me in. The staff was not overly professional, and they were too busy joking around with each other to pay much attention to me as I was checking in. I am Priority Club Gold member, and this was never acknowledged during my stay. I was not seeking any special privileges, but normally I am at least greeted using my name when I check in to a Holiday Inn property. I called down to the desk for a couple of reasons over the course of my stay and the staff were generally rude and unhelpful, as if I was interrupting some much more important thing that they were doing. I asked for directions to a local landmark (less than 15 minute walk from the hotel) and the gentleman on the counter had no idea where it was, although another of his colleagues eventually came to his rescue and even found a map to give me with the location marked on it. When I checked out, I had a very early flight, so had to leave the hotel before 6 am. There was nobody at the desk because they were all having their breakfast in the kitchen, I had to call out 3 times before anybody wandered out of the kitchen and even then I was informed that they were in the middle of their breakfast. My mistake for thinking the guest should have priority over the staff's breakfast!

The room was freezing. Despite having the heat set to the highest level and greatest fan speed, the room did not warm up after several hours. When I called down to request another blanket, I was informed that the heat had to be switched on at the front desk. They did so, but the room never did warm up. Unless you stood approximately two and one-half feet from the heat fan (which was above the room door), it was impossible to feel any heat at all. I slept in pajamas, socks and a sweatshirt and needed two layers of clothes when sitting around the room at any time. The only way to get hot water in the bathroom basin was to flush the toilet, otherwise the water was lukewarm at best.

The room was not very clean. There were spots on the pillowcases and sheets, the sofa and nearly every surface in the room (including the shelf above the tea kettle) were dusty, there were stains on the sofa and desk chair, and the carpet was badly stained - it had clearly not been shampooed in a very long time (if ever). There was a very unpleasant mildew smell from the shower drain and the toilet water. The first time I pulled on the shower door, the handle came off. At least they managed to repair that the same day!

The general amenities were poor. I do not generally object to the single container in the shower or by the sink that is supposed to act as shampoo and body wash or hand soap, but the quality of the product was very poor. I was truly annoyed by the use of paper facecloths. I have never seen that in a hotel before (even the budget hotels I have stayed in in the past). I cannot believe that cleaning facecloths as part of the laundry would cost more or be more wasteful than the paper facecloths that were useless in the shower. Although breakfast was free, the food quality was not good. Even at 7 am, the bread was stale, the scrambled eggs very runny and there were limited choices overall.

There is no restaurant in the neighborhood, so you have to go out to find meals. There is not much selection for places to eat in the immediate area, and I didn't feel very comfortable wandering around the area after dark. The hotel is just around the corner from Manchester's Oxford Road rail station, which might be a benefit if you are arriving at this station.

Overall, I thought this was a poor quality hotel, even for budget accommodation. In particular, I was rather annoyed by the customer service of the front desk staff, and the shocking lack of climate control in the room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HIEX-Oxford-Rd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking time to review the hotel and I am sorry that your experience was not a more pleasurable one.

I would really like to understand which staff did not offer you a professional check-in and would request that you contact me directly at jsmith@hiemanchester.co.uk so that I can investigate this.

I do believe that you may have misunderstood the night staff when they were in the "middle of breakfast" and that they were in the middle of preparing and putting the breakfast out and not in the middle of taking their own breakfast.

We do have additional heaters for bedrooms and I am sorry that if there was a problem with the heating in the room that one of these was offered, again I would like to understand why this was not the case.

It is a surprise that your room was not clean, as you can see from numerous other replies we normally have very good cleanliness levels. However, I will pass on your comments to our housekeeping team for training purposes.

We do use quality branded soaps and shampoos in our bathrooms in Dove and Lux and the facecloths that we use are in addition to the Holiday Inn Express brand standards and again high quality synthetic hand cloths.

I would also like to point out that we have ten restaurants within a three minute walk of the hotel offering a variety of different dishes from award winning Indian and Italian restaurants to more family friendly restaurants such as Nando's.

I would like to apologise that we did not meet your expectations and would request your assistance establishing the staff issues in the hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had an overnight stay in this hotel recently and I feel compelled to write this review.
1. Location - terrific.
Direct train from airport to oxford road, hotel ~100 metres down the road from train station. Also ideally located for checking out the various locations in Manchester including Deansgate. Bus-stop outside the door - including a free bus to bring you to city centre destinations.
2. The room - so clean; really to be commended. Very comfortable beds, very comfortable rooms. A delight. View not great, not important to me for this type of stay. Double shower, products provided, choice of hard or soft pillows, couch in room for lounging, watching tv.
3. The staff - Graham in particular deserves a mention. He was great! Very friendly and helpful - Gave a few recommendations for restaurants, one of which we took - delicious meal at Akbars in Deansgate if in the mood for Indian food.
Would definitely go back and would recommend to my friends and family if a city break was on their agenda.
Thanks Graham for setting our UK break off to a great start.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to Graham.