“Holiday Inn Express hotel in oxford Road Manchester are head and shoulders above the rest.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road

Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road
Ranked #51 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Tullamore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Just a quick note to congratulate all the staff in The Holiday Inn Express Hotel in Oxford Road Manchester City centre for being undoubtedly the best Hotel that our Tour Company have ever stayed in. We've just returned from the Man United Everton game and what a fantastic weekend!! From the moment we arrived in the hotel until our departure two days later we could not speak highly enough about the professionalism and high quality of the facilities provided by the hotel. The hotel is superbly located and of very high quality.
I can honestly say that the staff and Management and the quality of the Holiday Inn Express hotel in oxford Road Manchester are head and shoulders above the rest.
We've tried the Rest, and the holiday Inn express in oxford road is by far the Best!!
Looking forward to our next trip with over to Manchester and our stay in your hotel.

Kind regards

Anthony Bernie, MD
Midland Travel, Tullamore Co Offaly, Ireland

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIEX-Oxford-Rd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Mr. Bernie

Thank you for your kind comments.

We always like to offer you and your guests great service and it is nice to know that this has been well recieved.

Regards

Jonathan Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Bratislava, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Here is a letter I wrote to the General Manager of the property that pretty much explains why I would never stay there again. No surprise, he did not even acknowledge the receipt of my complaint. Why do I expect from his staff when he is setting the same example - customers come and go - no need to worry about those who complaint.

In summary - if you are here on business and actually want to get some business done, stay away from these people. Not worth the money and your headache.

Email sent to GM:

I really wanted to share my experience while staying at your hotel 27th-29th of March. As you can tell it has been a week ago, but I still get worked up when I think about how unpleasant my stay was.

Of course there are good things about your hotel: location and great rooms. Breakfast was average – but I don’t go to hotels for breakfast.

Serious issues – staff and the level of customer service – below average. Some of the answers I got from your staff left me and my wife just amazed.

I don’t care about the internet or any other problems – but the rudeness and unprofessionalism of your staff is something I will never forget. They clearly saw me unhappy – I even told them multiple times, no one has ever thought about sincerely apologizing – they always made sure to make you feel like that is the guest’s fault.

KEYS: we had 2 rooms, keys stopped working. Got news ones, stopped working. After the third time, already late for a meeting – I needed a new key. Of course I was waiting in line to get a key a and you lady manager (I asked for a manager earlier and she said that would be me) rudely shouted: “You are just going to have to wait till I finish with this customer”. Wow, I have no problem waiting for the other customer to check in – but that tone and the language – and she is a manager?

She rudely “explained” it is my fault the keys don’t work and no one else has complained – as I am probably keeping them in my wallet. Her staff made me a new key – I went to the elevator – and guess what – the key does not work. I go back, now she had no choice but for the first time apologized for the key problem.

Internet – useless. I purchased it via your TV. It connected fine wirelessly but the internet was dropping every 3-4 minutes and had to wait for it to resume working. This was at 9pm, I reported a problem. I went to the lobby to connect – same problem, internet in and out. They gave me a different code – tried my iPhone and iPad – same problem.

So I called down, reported it and I was told that they cannot troubleshoot it till next day – and I was told that no one else complained. So I tried the connection the next day, same problem – called down to see if they had reported the problem as I asked. The person had no idea what I was talking about. No one left a note that a guest complained about anything. I asked the person if they could call their tech support and report this problem. Again I was told no one else complained – and that I should try to use the cable (which I did) – and wait 20 minutes if the problems persists. Of course the problem was still there so I called again – explained the problem – and the person told me: “WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO”???? WOW, customer service at its best. I told him this is your hotel – you should know better. I was done talking to your staff at this point – they took my charges off and that was their solution.

Of course the next day in our meeting I talked to our staff – and they told me they had the same experience dealing with your staff. The internet was not working – they reported it – and they were told, no ONE ELSE complained. You can verify this as they internet charges were taken off as well.

Checkout: took 15 minutes to check out ( I was the only one there at 4am). A simple process that should be done in 5 minutes –but normally o don’t even check out as I always find my invoice under my door the day I check out. Not here.

Hope this review helps with the very needed customer service training of the staff in this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LouTravelTrips
I would like to thank you for giving us feedback regarding your stay.

It is with disapointment that you had problems whilst in the hotel, although I would like to assure you that I did not receive the email mentioned in your review.

Although we do sometimes have problems with our key card system this is quite rare but can but understandibly very frustrating for both guests and the hotel. This can be caused by other cards or mobile phones demagnitising the key card.

With assistance from our Internet provider we have been able sort out the problems that we were periodically experincing with the internet coverage in the hotel. I am truly sorry that this appears to have been highlighted by you and your colleagues.

However, although we have experienced some technical issues there is never any excuse for poor customer service. Following on from your comments we have had additional training with my Duty Managers and experiences like your should never happen again.

Please accept my apologies for your disapointing stay.

Jonathan Smith
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is our second visit, we chose it as it was next door to the function we were attending. We had a corner room (711) which over looked Oxford Road Station and you could also see the Palace Theatre, just up the road. The room was very quiet, and I think they zone guests as we weren't on a hen party floor!

For a budget hotel (well, we paid £108, which we'd hardly call cheap), it's well appointed with everything you need for a night or two, although there's no free Wifi (my phone was fine on T-Mobile Orange, but our friends couldn't get a reception with 3) However, free wifi is available next door at Revolution.

We booked through Expedia (through Topcashback), so got some cashback and Nectar points, but were told that if we'd booked on their site (you can also use Topcashback), and found it cheaper elsewhere, we'd have got the night for free.

If you haven't used Topcashback, it's a site where you log in, then use their links and get some cashback - at the moment it's 5.05% for Holiday Inn, but 12% for Expedia. These days, every little helps - you can have a look here - http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/dealqueen - we love it (and you can also get cashback on lots of other things, even Groupon/KGB deals!)

We stayed on a Saturday night, in the lifts, there were signs saying that breakfast would be busy from 9-10.30, but not very busy at 6.30! Not rocket science. But it still came as a shock when we saw how small and inadequate the breakfast room was for the amount of guests. The big attraction of this hotel is that breakfast is included, but for many of the guests, so was a 15 minute wait to get it! As breakfasts go, it's very cheap and cheerful, there is a nod to a cooked breakfast with scrambled eggs, beans and sausages (no bacon), but the muffins are very nice - and they actually encourage you to take your breakfast to your room. However, by the time you've got the lift there... But there are stairs, although I don't know if you can access them from the bottom two floors (the reception, bar and dining room are in the basement, making it trickier for the less able bodied.

As for parking, on street parking is now chargeable in Manchester 7 days a week, so if you're staying over the weekend, use the Charles Street Car Park which is owned by the University (it's about a 5 minute walk, but only costs £2 a day on Saturday and Sunday), unlike the extortionate charge you'll pay at the NCP next door!

Overall, had we paid £60-£80, we'd have been very happy. But as it was over £100, we felt that we should have had a bit more, but the price for hotels in Manchester that weekend was very high.

Room Tip: Have a room facing the back - you'll see Oxford Road Station, but won't hear it. It also se...
1 Thank Bryan M
HIEX-Oxford-Rd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for taking time to give us feedback from your stay.

We do give an indication as to the busiest times at breakfast and this is done in a traffic light system. Unfortunately the majority of guests, especially at a weekend, decide to take their breakfast in the last hour of breakfast. As we do have limited space we endeavour to minimise the waiting time for breakfast.

I can confirm that we do have stair access to all bedroom floors from the lower ground floor in the reception area.

I trust that other users will find your comments useful and would like to thank you again.
Knutsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

There is nothing wrong with the rooms - ours was small but it had everything you need for 2 people, it was clean, the beds were ok, the hair dryer worked, the internet was fine (£5 extra for 24 hours - not a problem) etc.
The shower backed up - but a man with a plunger fixed it quickly.
The breakfast was absolutely dreadful - we struggled to work out how they could have got it so very wrong.
The lifts are bad - not enough, too busy... we waited 10 minutes on 2nd floor for a lift going down and there aren't any stairs internally so you cannot get to reception any other way.

My friends had a dreadful experience with rude staff, beds not made properly, a double bed for 2 ladies (no twins apparently despite asking when booking)... we didn't experience any of this first hand.

Room Tip: Ask for somewhere on the quiet side or you will be partying all night long!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. Your comments have been noted and we are grateful for your feedback.

It is disapointing that you had such a poor breakfast experience. We do struggle with space and this can lead during busy times to overcrowding and wait times. This is something that we try to minimise as much as possible by giving guests an indication as to the busiest periods at breakfast.

However, I can confirm that we have stair access to all bedroom floors from the lower ground floor and reception area. We do have 2 guest lifts and your wait, even at our busiest periods, should not have been that long. This is something that we are taking to the lift company.

Thank you again for your review.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here on a 2 night business trip in springtime. The hotel is very handy for Oxford Road Station, and very central and close to Universities etc. This was quite apparent by the number of drunk students falling out of bars during early-evening arrival, but I never noticed any noise whatsoever once in the room, which was very clean, modern and had everything you would need for a comfortable stay..

The reception desk is one floor below the main entrance, and you need a rom key card to use the lift, which made it awkward following check out, so those with accessibility needs ( or heavy cases) will need to ask for some help! The lifts are very busy and you can wait a while but there are stairs so get your daily exercise by using them :)

I agree with others, the reception staff were quite curt, but you get what you pay for - it's a budget hotel after all, so nothing worth griping about!

All in all a good choice for a business or short trip ( note that wifi access is expensive and there is a £3 charge for storing bags if you need to store them following check out)

The buffet breakfast was reasonable, yet very busy, so I'd advise early arrival..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

I can confirm that the lift can be accessed without a key card for the ground and lower ground floors. You will only require the key to access the bedroom floors.

Your comments regarding the reception staff have been noted and extra training is being provided.

We have also decided to remove the charge for left luggage. Due to our location we have high numbers of left luggage and very limited space. The charge was introduced in an attempt to maange the amount of luggage that was unnecessarily left at the hotel. However, due to customer feedback we have removed this charge.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback.
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

While booking a family room, on arrival we got a small double room with a pull out bed. For 3 adults, this was a complete nightmare. We where just about squeezing around one another and as for trying to have showers, I’d have more success organizing a wedding. Keeping in mind we asked for a family room, on contacting the Manager, he more or less said “nothing I can do”. What ever happened to Customer Services, this Manager must have missed that day in college……

As we paid a substantial supplement, we requested that at least we should be offered a complimentary drink, we where told that it “wasn’t policy”. We won’t be coming back and I advise anyone reading this to do the same.

Room Tip: This part of the section is asking us to advise travellers to choose a good room - dont say in this...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear MandMur,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Booked this last minute hotel on Saturday morning for a night out with two friends. Booked online for £119 for a family room for up to 4 persons. On check i was charged £149 as i was told that it was £30 for an extra person! I protested and said that this was not clear online as i had been searching for a room for 3 people. I was very angry as to pay such a high rate for a budget hotel is truly disgusting! However this £30 extra became even more ridiulous I was then told that my room had not been made up for 3 people but assured it would be ready when we came back later on that night to sleep. However when we returned rather worse for wear after our night at 3am we at first couldnt get into the hotel as our room key wouldnt opened the main door or work in the lift and then when we got to the room itself it was still not made up. So we unfolded the sofa bed ourselves and one ended up sleeping on the matress with no sheet or pillow.

After such a poor night sleep the room also only had two towels, cups and tea bags meaning that one of us had to miss out on a shower and tea!!

It is a very new and nice budge hotel ideally located in the centre of the city but I will never stay again as a result of this petty hidden charge which was massively unjustifiable given the lack of amenities in the room for the third person.

Beware of this hidden charge when booking here!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear Ben M,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W