“Very good”

Staycity Aparthotels Laystall Street
Reviewed August 8, 2013

StayCity serviced apartments are very reliable (but beware of imitations like "StayEdinburghCity" which is another company and quite horrible) and we were very pleased yet again. Their Manchester apartments are 10 mins from Piccadilly Station - close to everything in the city centre. The staff are very friendly and efficient. The building is quite new - it has a few scuffs, but is kept very clean. The rooms are large - again used, but kept very clean. We have high cleanliness standards and this apartment met them. They provide everything necessary. We had a good deal from them. In short, we were delighted. We will look for StayCity in future. We recommend them.

Room Tip: We had Flat 202 - very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The welcome was lovely when I arrived! The lady at reception had advised me that they had upgraded my apartment which was a pleasant surprise!

The apartment was spacious, clean and tidy. All with mod cons and boasting the home from home feel.

The only downside is views, but you can't expect much more for such great value and in a perfect location.

I will most definitely consider using them again!

• Stayed: July 2013
stayCity_com, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Laystall Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for leaving your views on your stay.
Glad you enjoyed yourselves whilst staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in town!

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for one night with my partner for a night in manchester. Hotel is in a great spot just 5 minute walk to piccadilly. Plenty of parking nearby. Hotel is pretty much brand new everything is spotless really well decorated very modern. I love the apartment concept being able to cook yourself breakfast in the morning really saves on the ££. Its right next door to an aldi so can pick up whatever you need for your stay. Kitchen well equipped with all necessities. I would imagine high up rooms get a great view through the floor to ceiling windows but we were floor 1 and overlooked a car park. Id perhaps request a higher room next time. Otherwise all good will definitely look at using again next time im in Manchester!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed here with friends for the night of one of the Robbie Williams concert at the nearby Man City stadium. A short walk in to the main shopping area of the city, and a 20 min walk to the stadium. Only a 10 min walk from the train station as well so no taxi needed.
We had struggled to get 1 nights accommodation at a reasonable price due to the concert, and this was the first time I'd booked a serviced apartment. We weren't disappointed.
The apartment was a lot bigger than I imagined. We were upgraded to a 2 bed apartment and with 2 bathrooms it more than met our needs. There were lockers to put your cases in so we could spend the day in the city before going home the next day.
Set in an industrial area don't expect fab views but I would definitely recommend this for a city break and will use it again in the future. Good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2013

It's difficult for me to score this one, as what was good was very good, but it was let down by a couple of features.

This hotel is a series of apartments built around a central light well. The front doors to the apartments are reached by an open air walkway that circles the light well. It reminded me of a block of council flats at first, but it means you get light from both sides of the apartment. Curiously the bedrooms are by the front door, so people walk by your bedroom as they come and go, but no big deal. Inside the apartments are spacious, with separate bedrooms from the living/kitchen area. There is a flat tv with dvd player, table and chairs and a sofa. The kitchen is very well equipped, with an actual honest-to-goodness oven as well as a microwave. The flat even boasts its own washer/dryer for longer stays.

The staff are very friendly. I couldn't fault them.

It is ten minutes walk from Piccadilly station, and if you're feeling brave you can walk most of the way along the canals. For those that self cater, there is an Aldi virtually next door.

So what's the catch? To be honest, there's little the hotel can do, but it's main problem is its location. Walking from the station you wander through a run-down light industrial area, with several plots turned over to car parks. It's not an area everyone will feel comfortable with. My room was 312. All the rooms on that side (x10 and above) face an industrial unit with a monstrous bank of air con units that run 24 hours a day. I was there during a heat wave (right, I know. In Manchester? Who'd a thunk it?) There is no air con in the apartments, so I had to have the windows open. The noise from the air con units was intrusive and non-stop. In the end I took to sitting in the front door with my laptop and a bottle of wine just to cool down, but even in the light well the air con noise was audible.

If I return, I'd try to get a room that overlooks the Aldi shop, because you're not going to stay here for the view regardless of the room, and the air con noise might be less intrusive

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the south side (x10 and above)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Snodlander

Great to get feedback from guests following their stay, as we can monitor and try to rectify issues which may have been identified that we were unaware of. We are not perfect, but we do strive to keep getting as close to that as we can!
Location-wise I can understand your point, however, a huge proportion of our customers do look at our location as a huge positive, as we are just on the fringe of the city centre, so away from any late-night club / pub throwing out cacophony, a 5 minute walk to Piccadilly train station & Gardens and for those who drive to us, are just off the inner ring road, so very easy to access without having to access the crazy one-way network other providers have to contend with.
Once again thanks for your comments and we hope to see you back with us in the future.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Location of these apartments is good and a supermarket is right next door, great for a self catering family. Secure parking but it does come at a price. Beds are comfortable, shower is hot but be sure to check that the apartment is clean before moving bags in, I do expect a clean floor and a mould free bathroom. Good size fridge and a modern washer/dryer. Staff are friendly.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
stayCity_com, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Laystall Street, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for leaving your comments following your stay.
The car park charge is very competitive with similar establishments and as you saw it is very secure, in fact I think it is safe to say it is one of the most secure car parks in the UK due to it being fully automated!!
I am sorry there were traces of mould on the silicone in the bathroom, this is something we are currently working on in the apartments as we are aware of some problems.
I hope this does not deter you from returning to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Always stop by here on my visits to Mancester and very rarely disappointed. I do however plod for the tower rooms as they are far quieter and private. Views are great, parking is quite confusing but safe as houses and the staff are always great! Only gripe I would have is another lift would have been great, but other than that, always a nice place to stay! About 6 minutes walk from Picadilly and 10 minutes to city centre. Free Wifi too, so happy beans!

Room Tip: definitely recommend the tower suites. 2 bedroom apartments with a balcony and great views the highe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business