“King Gong!”

$16.33*
and up
The Best in Stand-Up Live Comedy in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: The Comedy Store Manchester offers a unique blend of stand up comedy, fine dining and music. Every week from Thursday through to Sunday the best comedians on the circuit take to the stage. We also have a different comedy night every Sunday to round off the weekend.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Hosted by the hilarious Justin Moorhouse in a fantastic venue, King Gong is a monthly (first sunday of every month) comedy night for unsigned comedians who get up to five minutes each. Three members of the audience have a red card, and if the dislike the act, they put up the card (in possible x-factor style.) If the performer gets three cards before the five minutes is up, the Gong is struck and they are out. The comedian(s) who beat the gong are then through to the finals, where they are narrowed down to two who each have one more minute to prove they are the best. The Winner gets an Opening Slot at the store and £50.
The evening was wonderful, with some great unsigned comedians. The venue serves pizza and drinks all night and was really just a great way to spend a sunday! I can definitely see myself returning!

1  Thank Liam-Antony
Write a ReviewReviews (2,624)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have been coming here for years now, particularly on a Sunday night to New Stuff (This is a night where comedians try out new material on the audience to see if it works, some times it doesn't, but id say 75% of the show makes you laugh anyway) You cant grumble at £3 each can you?
They also sell Pizza from the bar before and during the show this is quite cheap! The only problem is they used to sell it by the slice, and they have stopped doing this now. This is not the wisest decision the management could have made, as my friend wanted half a pizza and i did not want any due to being a coeliac, maybe they should try the idea of selling half pizzas? but that is my only grumble.

1  Thank Andrewb1984
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Booked table for food before performance, questioned availability of gluten free meals, as wife is very allergic to flour, bread, pasta, stock cubes etc. Advised that this was not a problem.

Recommendations in the restaurant as suitable for someone who can't eat gluten...:
1...."steak pie". Is that the one with pastry and gravy?? "Yes" being the reply. Probably not then we said, wife can't eat pastry, she's a coeliac
2..."Fishcakes!!" Are those in breadcrumbs? We ask. "Yes" being the answer. Definitely not then says we. The wife can't eat bread, she's coeliac, can't eat bread, pastry and things like that.

After a visit by the waitress to the kitchen...
3...Chicken wrapped in Parma Ham. That'll do, the wife says.

Result. Had to leave half way through as something in the food caused an allergic reaction.
Two days of throwing up, probably about six weeks for her stomach to recover.
I know it's a Comedy Store, but not bloody funny.

First half of the show was quite funny. Can't tell you about the second half.

1  Thank shaun_cheshire
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is usually a brilliant night but I've noted the comments below and on some occasions you can get some comedians that don't quite meet with your taste in comedy. In the club's defence, there are usually three more that make up for it though.

We've been going here for years and many of our old favourites like John Bishop, Jason Manford, Sarah Millican etc now have their own TV shows and I can see that many from the current batch will go the same way. I reckon that the guys on the Comedy Store circuit are the best in the business as a rule and you will struggle finding a better night out.

Why did I title it as I did? Well on my most recent visits, the audience seems to have changed over the years from devout comedy fans to a more general and less appreciative audience, many of whom left before the end of the show as they didn't really understand the humour. Granted the audiences are bigger than in the past which is what the Store needs to make money, but it does distract from the atmosphere when the bunch of eejits behind you are discussing whether the comedian should really be having a dig at Hale Barns! Just my two penneth. I will still be there next time I'm in Manchester.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our night here and would recommend it. We had a bad experience in the restaurant thanks to the chef's overuse of chilis. In fairness, although the manager did not handle it very well, they did put matters right and I'm sure this was an untypical experience.

Overall, I think they pretty much do a good job here and the staff are lovely.

The comedy acts were great.