“Roomzzz a practical guide for travellers...”

Roomzzz Manchester City
Ranked #8 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed in room 508, which is a split level mezzanine style room.
Looking at the manager's comments on another review, it would seem like this room has now been refurbished but I would still like to give my review, as that is what TA is about. However, I must add that it must have been the quickest refurbishment ever, as I only stayed there two weeks ago!
Firstly, this review is about the practicalities of this apartment from my point of view, as a woman. It is not about whether my points are good or bad but how they affect me as a traveller.
Ok, so here we go.
On entering the apartment, it didn't appear as big as on the website photos, although I can appreciate as someone who works in real estate, that they are only a guide.
It was clean overall and smelt fresh.
The kitchen area was very handy and the fixtures of a good quality. There was plenty of cutlery etc, although no ice bucket or champagne flutes, which is useful to know if you are celebrating an occasion there and fancy a bottle of fizz.
Some of the glasses in the cupboard however, were not clean. Tea towels and dishwasher tablet provided, so good!
The downstairs living area was pleasant and plenty of seating area. The floor is wooden, which is good from a housekeeping point of view but took away some of the cosiness and added a starkness and is rather noisy, as wood floors are.
Downstairs is a bathroom. Nice and modern. Rainfall shower, which always looks good but from a woman's point of view means a lot of water overload on the shower cap and then performing some weird movements in order to wash your neck without soaking your head!
There was a shower attachment to the bath, which was fantastic but no shower screen on the bath, so showering really needs to be in the rainfall shower.
I realise by now, you are probably thinking that this all sounds a bit petty! Well, you could be right but I want to try to give some useful information.
The floor of the downstairs area was a bit scratched, as was the inside of the cupboard, which also had some damage (minimal hanging space for more than a one night stay) and as had been said a few times, pink expanding foam visible from the joists, which is slapdash and whoever did it should have been made to put it right at the time!
The mezzanine bedroom is a decent size but not big enough to incorporate anything other than a big, lovely, comfy bed and a couple of bedside tables.
There is no dressing table, no mirror and no wardrobe or any drawers upstairs.
If you want to get dressed, you need to go down stairs to the wardrobe and then bring your clothes upstairs again but as there is no mirror upstairs, you need to go down again to check how you look.
As there is no dressing table and mirror combination either upstairs up or downstairs, you will need to bring your own mirror if you want to apply make up as women usually do when hitting the town. There are none at reception.
You can sit in front of the only mirror at the foot of the staircase but you will have to put all your make up/ hair products on the floor.
I didn't wash my hair as we only stayed for one night but the hairdryer (powerful) is in the bathroom.
The mirror in the bathroom is steam free, which is good but only good if you are happy to stand in a steamy and potentially hair frizzing room, whilst drying your hair. As my hair is long, this is totally impractical, as I need to sit down and keep well away from any moisture! So again, if this is the case for you, then you will have to sit at the bottom of the stairs and put all your products on the floor.
The staircase is obviously creaky and noisy but at least you wouldn't have to take a big suitcase up there (well you couldn't even if you wanted to) as the wardrobe is downstairs, as previously stated.
The small wc on the bedroom level is very handy but no mirror over the sink.
You could hear noise from other rooms but that would be a mammoth task to sort out and not very realistic to do after the building has already been built! Didn't bother me though, as generally, I have had a glass or two of red if I am staying away and that aids sleep rather well!
Would I stay again? Possibly!
Price wise, it was pretty good and many of these problems that I encounter with mirrors and plugs and hairdryers, tend to be in all types and levels of hotels because by and large, they are designed by men.

1  Thank J3KTN
Guntars T, General Manager at Roomzzz Manchester City, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear J3KNT,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay.

We appreciate your constructive and honest comments and we welcome a constructive criticism, as it helps us to improve our service and increase customer satisfaction.

Some of the rooms including one that you stayed in did undergo a refurbishment recently where we replaced carpets, re painted all the walls and ceilings, made some decoration changes and upgraded some appliances.

Your comments regarding different features like full length mirrors, changing tables and other have given us a useful inside and something to work-on for our designer team. I’m sure we can do with a bit more feminine touch.

I am really pleased to read that you would return to the hotel and I hope that in not too far future we will welcome you in one of our improved rooms.

Kind regards
Guntars Tiskus

Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)

Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This place is stunning, inside and out. The best of both world a beautiful apartment with hotel services. Liked the added touches, the iPod clock and PC with free WIFI ( really useful for a business traveller) and the Complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed at Roomzzz on Wednesday as we were going to a gig in Manchester. Based on all the great reviews we chose this hotel and we were not disappointed!
We stayed in a room on the 5th floor, and with the imac, TV in the tub, comfiest bed in the world and mezzanine level, we never wanted to leave.
The staff we encountered were lovely, especially the very friendly receptionist can't remember her name, but it began with a D.
The grab and go breakfast on offer was delicious, we didn't expect this as we knew there was no restaurant.
All in all, loved the hotel and looking for a chance to visit again soon!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Booked a Grande Studio room and requested one with a bath as I was running the Manchester marathon and wanted a post race soak!

The room was superb, above and beyond what we expected. Enormous comfy bed, 3 huge floor to ceiling windows, kitchen with everything you could want and even a tv in the bathroom at the end of the bath!

Staff were extra helpful too, even giving me 4 safety pins to secure my running number as I had forgotten to bring some.

All in all we couldn't fault out stay and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 29, 2013

At a fundraising event at The Midland and after doing research found this little gem! Half the price of the Midland and had better reviews!
This comfortable double room had everything you could possibly need for a short break - a mini kitchen, ironing board, double shower.....lovely.
Staff very professional but friendly with it. Grab and go breakfast was great. Took this back to our room and had pastries and coffee in bed - definately preferable to a noisy canteen full of strangers with a hangoer!
I would definately stay here again and would highly recommend.
In a great location too - walking distance from all main attractions and right next to China Town and the Gay Village.
Superb!

Room Tip: We had a basic room which was more than adequate for our needs. We didn't have a view as it was...
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here on the 8th April 2013 for one night. We booked into a Grande Studio on reccommendation of a friend who has stayed there before and loved it. We decided to choose this room type purley because it is the only type of room that has an alone standing bath with a TV (to our knowledge), this had to be put on as a request as not all the Grande Studios have them in.
When we arrived, we walked into our room and was amazed. The apartment was gorgeous! It had a huuuge double queen sized bed with memory foam matress - Sooo comfy!! We had an iMac that we listened to music on and watched TV. The kitchenette complete with Fairy Liquid, plates, bowls, cutlery, tea and coffee making facilities, wine glasses etc. It had a fridge, a dishwasher and oven/cooker! It had everything you could need!
In the bathroom we walked into a lovely modern bath, with the TV we wanted, PLUS a full rain shower too, which was an extra bonus!!
We didnt use the grab and go breakfast that was there for us to use as we wanted to go out and have a full english breakfast after a few drinks from the night before but im positive it would have been very good.
We will definately be returning to Roomzzz Manchester in the future.

Room Tip: Book a Grande Studio and request a bath with a TV...
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last week. We had a Maxima Suite on the 5th floor.

The first thing that hits you when you walk into the room is how much better it looks on the website than in the flesh. The room just felt like it had no soul to it and that it needed someone to come in and give it a maintenance once over. There were scratches in the flooring and there was obvious pink expanding foam visible in gaps in the timbers in the roof.

While the mezzanine bed area is a novel idea and the bed was massive and very comfy, the spiral staircase leading to it is the creakiest structure I have ever walked on and there is no wardrobe space or dressing table up there. Its just a bed on a shelf!!!!

My wife was disappointed as while there is a lovely iMac in the room, this is at the sacrifice of a dressing table to get ready. There is no make up mirror and no real area for a lady to prepare herself!!!

The shower felt weak in the bathroom and while it was hot you also need an amount of power to get rinsed properly. We also noticed some mould on the seals around the shower area.

Noise is also a problem, the building is old and soundproofing is always an issue but you could hear all comings and goings and I noticed a considerable gap in our door at the head of it in the frame so there were no acoustics seals in there.

We were actually called by reception and asked to turn our music down which illustrates this beautifully as our music was no louder than the TV would be. Apologies if you were the people who were disturbed by this.

All in all, not as it looked in the brochure. The staff were friendly on check in and the bed is the redeeming quality of the room as it was very comfortable. However, while I like the idea of the aparthotel, I dont think I will be coming back to Roomzzz in Manchester.

1  Thank mj2000uk
Guntars T, General Manager at Roomzzz Manchester City, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear mj2000uk,

Thank you for taking time to post your review on Tripdavisor and I'm truly sorry to hear that you didn't find the room to your liking.

I'm sure you will be happy to learn that we have put a refurbishment plan in place to give some TLC to all the rooms and that the works have already started. As a matter of fact the room you stayed in was refurbished just last week.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in one of our refurbished rooms in future and that you will find them to your taste.

Kind regards,