“Extensive menu, tastes fine but expensive for Thai food”
Review of Try Thai

Try Thai
Reserve with OpenTable
Try Thai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 2,356 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Description: Fantastic bar on the upper ground floor with the beautiful Thai restaurant on the first floor.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Due to many good reviews, we payed out visit for the second time: the first time was years ago when they opened and we were not that impressed that time. Our second visit, we would say we had good meal. But for Thai meal, which is not that difficult to cook and the ingredients being quite cheap Part from lobster, we wondered how come they can charge that much. In London, it would cost about half to 2/3 of what Try Thai charges depending on where the restaurant is located and if you pay as much as what you have to pay at Try Thai in London, you can get more amazing choice. So all in all, I would rate it 3 stars. This is very subjective, based on my dining experience at other Thai restaurants in other parts of the UK.

1  Thank Enjoydifference

Reviewed January 1, 2014

As this was our favorite restaurant in 2013 we decided to book a meal here on New Years Eve. We were a little worried it wouldn't live up to our last visit, but we couldn't have been more wrong. The food was exceptional, the service was brilliant and it was excellent value for money as well - really can't fault it. Thank you !

2  Thank sam950
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Visited for the first time on a weekday afternoon. Had the Christmas Lunch menu which consisted of a starter, main dish served with boiled or egg fried rice, and vanilla-ice cream or coffee for dessert - all for £9.95. Drinks are extra, eg. my mocktail was £3.95 but worth it as it was not watered down unlike the majority of establishments. The restaurant is easy to find in Chinatown, from first impressions I found it clean, spacious and relaxed. Service was always polite but once we had finished our main meal we were sort of forgotten. As we were so busy chatting, I didn't realise that 25 mins had passed since we had finished our meal and our plates had not been cleared or was a bill presented. However the food is fresh, flavoursome and original. When going through the set menus make sure you view the main menu too as it has helpful photos of the dishes. Would definitely eat here again. I am a vegetarian and my friend is a meat-eater, both of us were spoilt for choice. Had made an advance reservation via the website, which worked perfectly fine. The dishes I had were for starters Battered Aubergines, for mains Stir Fry Garlic & Pepper Vegetables with Boiled Rice and ended with Vanilla Ice Cream. The Starter & Main Meal were excellent. Visit here to eat good thai food.

1  Thank BohemianDesi
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I were staying near Chinatown and we usually go for the excellent world buffet at Tai Wu but we decided to break from tradition and I'm really glad we did.

An unassuming restaurant amongst the lights, smells and sounds of the area it is easily missed but after reading the reviews on here we decided to give it a whirl.

We went into the downstairs restaurant to be escorted upstairs to the main restaurant which was busy but not too noisy and were given a table in the corner immediately. The menu is enormous, if you're as bad at making a decision on what you might like then I recommend you have a sneak preview of it on the website before you go, it's 17 pages long. While we were waiting (which wasn't long) we got to see some of the other tables' dishes arriving and they looked absolutely lovely.

We had three starters (the golden omelette, calamari and a soup) then husband had the vegetable and tofu jungle curry (hot hot hot) and I had the thick red duck curry. I think it must have been a good day shooting duck out on the canal that day, there was lots and lots of meat. I also had the wide fried noodles which were a meal in themselves, all absolutely delicious.

Definitely one of the best Asian meals I've ever eaten. Our server, Eliz was delightful and efficient.

The bill for three starters, two curries, rice and noodles, two soft drinks came to £46.

Be warned that the heat guide on the menu is a bit wide of the mark, they like their spices! Husband also had a 'Summer Love'. And I better explain - it's a hot drink containing a dried carnation flower, like green tea.

No wonder it's rated as highly as it is. Thank you everyone.

2  Thank HazelK
Reviewed December 30, 2013

First thing to say is that the food here is excellent. Good quality ingredients superbly cooked. Unfortunately, the service was not up to scratch. Slow and inefficient. It took 25 mins to get a drink and 1 hour 25 mins to get the main course. To top it all, some of the dishes that arrived were wrong. And we we pre booked a table for a Monday afternoon. At least they had the good grace to remove the service charge.

1  Thank Tim F