“what waiters?”

Zouk Teabar & Grill
Ranked #614 of 2,254 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Pakistani
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
UK
“what waiters?”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

this restaurant was terrible!! good thing we wont be going again. to keep it short and sweet the restaurant itself is lovely decorate inside and an open kitchen view to see your food being cooked. our table sat outside were the waiter took our order after 15 of waiting. Whilst taking our order another waiter pulled him aside and started arguing and so the second waiter came and took our order again!!!We then had a third waiter who came and placed our cutlery and put the serviette in his MOUTH so the wind would not blow it away!! I immediately asked for a clean one! food was uninviting and portions were very small. waiters need proper training and uniform was very dirty and trousers were worn very low!! this place obviously lacks service and training and looks like a family run business. They did not even say goodbye!!!

2 Thank GINA T

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Liverpool
“Excellent food, abominable service.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This would be a one star review if Zouk hadn't cooked one of the best curries I've ever eaten. It was delicious - no problems there at all.

The service on the other hand was downright laughable. To begin with, I arrived before the rest of our party, so sat in the bar. In 15 minutes, no one asked if I wanted a drink. Pretty basic stuff really. You'd be right in thinking that this didn't bode well.

When my party arrived and we were seated outside (it was very sunny), we ordered some beers. They arrived - warm. Ordering our food, we were told that they'd run out of two of the options we had selected - not ideal. Eating my starter (which was lovely), I was fairly annoyed when the waiter (who seemed to be a manager) leant across my plate to throw a knife and fork on the table, with no apology, ready for the main course. Rude waiter - great - night made.

This man's lack of manners was underlined when I heard him swearing in earshot of all the customers around us. He was quite clearly stressed out. I felt for him - I've worked in stressful service jobs too, and it's rubbish. What puzzled me was the fact that the restaurant was only around half full - and there seemed to be plenty of staff?

The icing on the cake was when one member of our party's rice arrived. The waiter leant across the table, and spilled hot rice all over our friend's pants. He then swore again, which was followed by an apology.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, the food was incredible - and I'm quite upset that I won't be able to go back to eat it all over again. Had the service just been *acceptable* I'd feel that I could do this, but in reality, it was downright insulting. I feel sorry for the kitchen staff, as their creations deserve so much better than this.

1 Thank MattTwentyThree
Leeds, United Kingdom
“disappointing”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The place always looked really nice, so we went along for an evening meal, sadly as soon as we walked in the hostess was not very polite, however another server asked if we were okay and found us a seat. We then ordered for a jug of water, which didn't arrive until 20 minutes later, and it was two glasses of water (there were four of us). After a while more of waiting we were finally able to order food, which came about half an hour after (which isn't too bad, but still quite long), not all our food arrived a meat dish and a naan were missing, which we then had to inform a waiter about, he returned and the naan was burnt. Then when the waiter was clearing up he was very rude and moving our phones around while he wiped the table. On top of everything the whole way through our time at Zouk waiters must have been confused about tables and kept bringing drinks for other tables and asking if they were ours. The service was terrible, and when we asked to see the manager about it, he just made up excuses, the worst part was they put service charge on the bill (the service charge we did not pay). The food was average, but the bad service really was disappointing. Strongly recommend going elsewhere for dinners.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank HaleeH
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, poor service”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm a regular at zouks for the steak, it is amazing, but the service here is terrible. I've been both during the day when it's quiet and in the evening when it's busy, and no matter what time of the day the service is always really slow. The staff are nice, but a few times we've placed a drinks order and the food has arrived before the drinks! And we didn't get our drinks unless we prompted our waiter.
The last time I went it took 20mins for someone to give us the bill, which was ridiculous.

I only come back for the food, as it is nice. If you have patience and don't mind a wait, then you'll be fine here!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank AyeshaY
United Kingdom
“Not a good night at Zouk this place has gone downhill”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I went to Zouk as we had great food in the past
this was not a good experience , I agree with many recent reviews this is not the restaurant it was and it had gone downhill.
The wine was overpriced and the quality poor.
We have holidayed in Goa for the past 10 years , I was particularly excited at the prospect of Chicken Xacuti ,one of my favorite Indian dishes which is rare in UK restaurants
when it arrived it was such a disappointment it tasted of barbecue rather than a fusion of Indian spices and flavors it was defiantly not cooked by an experienced chef .
my wife was similarly unhappy with her meal.
sadly Zouk is now off the list when we are in Manchester.

2 Thank russellh731