“Where else can you find lobster for £15??!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Steak and Lobster at Alto

Steak and Lobster at Alto
Free Trade Hall, Peter Street | Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, Manchester M2 5GP, England
+44 161 835 8903
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Steak and Lobster at Alto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #296 of 2,025 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Offering an exciting dining concept, Steak & Lobster Manchester has forgone a menu brimming with choice to offer just 2 dishes: a 10oz rib eye steak or a whole lobster. Enjoy views through the floor-to-ceiling windows and soak up the informal, understated atmosphere whilst appreciating the simplicity and speed of this fresh and original concept.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Where else can you find lobster for £15??!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had seen a review on Evening News and also based on the reviews on Tripadvisor, decided to give it a go. Honestly, where else can you get lobster for £15? We booked online for lunch and the process was simple and we got a confirmation email. Also during a limited period of time there is free dessert - SCORE!! We were the only ones to dine when we arrived, so it was a bit odd with an empty restaurant. There seemed to be people there for drinks, but no one else seemed to be eating! We both got the grilled lobster which came with chips and salad. The chips were thin, well cooked and tasty (though perhaps a tad salty) and the salad was beautifully dressed - with sunflower seeds and croutons. The lobster came with different implements to get into it - so we let the fun begin! The lobster was grilled with garlic butter, but couldn't really taste this and the meat on the body itself was a little rubbery. However the meat from the claws was soft and tasty. We were offered more chips and salad which was a bonus! For the free dessert, we ordered Knickerbocker Glory - melon pieces laden with ice cream and cream on the top. I wasn't a fan of the cream but the ice cream and melon combi was heavenly! £15 for a main and dessert is really good value for money. To be honest we were expecting a catch and for the final bill to have loads of extras added on, but this was not the case. The service was friendly and warm, the atmosphere was lacking a bit as we were the only diners, but it also meant we could make a mess (can't avoid it with the lobster) without being too self-conscious. Also I would say the presentation of the dish is beautiful, but in terms of ease of dining - perhaps chips and salad would be better on side plates rather than in little pots. This is an amazing find and I would love to go back and try the steak and maybe the steamed lobster, not forgetting the desserts - it will be banoffee pie for me the next time!! : ) Check this place out, it's highly recommended!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking note of our previous reviews, there are so many people talking about Steak & Lobster across the city! It is nice to hear about the fun you had eating your lobsters… Knickerbockerglory is my favourite dessert but I do enjoy the chocolate fudge cake too. I like your photos and thank you for highly recommending it, We look forward to you coming back #SandLalto

North West England UK
“Great place, the £15 does exactly what is says on the tin - very quiet for a Thursday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Great offer and sampled both dishes - for £15 with free dessert when booked via their website you cannot go wrong. Ask for more fries if your hungry, they were great!

1 Thank aash23
Surf and Turf… glad you enjoyed Steak & Lobster @ ALTO, come back and see us soon!
Chester, United Kingdom
“Outstanding. A must!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation online and received confirmation of my booking almost immediately. I reserved a table for two, for my boyfriends birthday. He's always wanted to try lobster. I was sceptical of how cheap the meals were when I reserved the table. It was a set menu of steak or lobster and a free dessert, for £15. As a student, I was worried there was some sort of catch. We arrived, and had a brief wait. We were seated, and the atmosphere was lovely. The lights were not too bright, but I could still see him. The waitress seemed concerned that I wanted a really rare steak, but the chef cooked it to perfection and the dressing on the salad was out of this world. My boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed his lobster, and had a really good time. They brought out some surprise cupcakes I took in earlier and the chef wrote Happy Birthday on the plate they served them on. We were really looked after and I would love to thank the staff for their effort. I would highly recommend ALTO to anyone thinking of going, and especially to anyone wanting to try lobster in the Manchester area or visiting.

2 Thank rbrigg
It is great to hear that you enjoyed you Steak & Lobster experience @ ALTO for a special occasion, there is no catch, it is a simply concept and it continues to grow and we do not have any plans to change it therefore we look forward to welcoming you back, It is great that more and more people are being more adventurous and are going for the Lobster, I love it grilled #SandLalto
“perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

on arrival we where greeted by a lovely waitress who said are table was ready even though we where early but she said no problem if you would like a drink first.I Thought the drinks would have been expensive wrong just a bit more than pub prices.
We sat down to order are food the wife had the lobster and i had a steak both well presented and cooked to perfection medium rare i ask for extra chips no problem.
all in all great service excellent food will definitely go back with friends
thanks to all staff .
Hazi

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Keith H
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hazi, Thank you for this review, it is great to hear that you had such a pleasant experience with us at Steak & Lobster @ ALTO. If you are on Twitter follow us: @RBEHotels #S&Lalto We all look forward to welcoming you back!
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I booked a table for two online during the day time for which I even received a conformation email stating my booking was complete. When I reached the restaurant they didn't have me on the list which was a bit strange but they still got me a table for two straight away so no harm done. The restaurant is very posh looking and was packed out. The staff is friendly and helpful. We ordered two lobsters (one steamed and one grilled) the grilled one tasted slightly better. The lobsters come with a side order of chips and salad. The chips and salad are unlimited so make sure you ask for more if you want some (this however isn't mentioned anywhere on the menu but it is unlimited). We had coke to drink which wasn't too pricey. We didn't get any dessert included but I have read a few places that this was only a Christmas offer so no harm done. Well worth the visit. It's interesting using several different utensils to open up the lobster (which comes cut in half to make it easier for us novices).

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank EffJayHaych
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Steak & Lobster @ ALTO, next time you visit then I would recommend trying a dessert, come and see us again soon!