The City Warehouse Apartment Hotel
$115
$114
$104
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$84
  • Pool
$103
$96
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe penthousenorthern quartergreat ancoats streetwashing machineliving roomon arrivalhot waterthe security guardself cateringfull kitchenbusy roadhen weekendeverything you could possibly needhome from homewould definitely stay here againmain roadgreat facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Absolutely fabulous apartments. A group of 10 of us stayed for my sister's hen do, including some older guests, and we could not fault the apartments at all. The reception staff were always incredibly helpful when I called up to check things in advance, and on arrival the guy on reception helped us unload the car, provided a trolley as we had so much stuff, and gave us a map of where to park our car. Throughout the stay he also called for taxi's for us, helped us find a takeaway and provided extra tea-towels when we asked.

The apartment itself was very well equipped, including hair dryers, iron and board, shower gel, shampoo, soft towels, fairy liquid, tea, coffee, UHT milk, loo roll, and condiments. The sofa beds in the living room were surpirisingly comfortable and they had provided us with all the extra bed linen needed. Our apartment had a good ipod docking station, a DVD player with the tv, and a CD player/radio. It was very spacious and clean, and slept 6 very easily. We were slightly worried when we saw a few drunken lads on a stag night in the room next to ours, and a group of young hens arriving home at 1am but we did not hear a thing and were not disturbed in the slightest.

The info pack recommended that we park at the local NCP which is secure, but at £15.80 per day we thought this was a bit steep and so parked in one of the non-secure SIP car parks just across the road at £6 per day.

I would definitely recommend these apartments to anyone. They really were very impressive, modern and clean, and really good value compared to other apartments we had looked at.

Room Tip: We got upgraded to the penthouse apartment which sleeps 8 and also has a balcony which meant that the smokers had a place to go, rather than having to go downstairs and stand out on the road.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
CityWarehouse, Front Office Manager at The City Warehouse Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Dear Becky,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time at the apartments.

I'm pleased to hear that you and your group had such a good time and have passed your fantastic comments on to all of the staff who were extremely grateful.

Please wish your sister the best of luck for her big day and I hope to see you both again soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

So, lets start from the beginning. A group of four of us best friends had purchased a groupon voucher a year ago in 2011 and had paid £55 upfront. I live in the North but 3 of my friends travelled 200 miles from London and the South for a one night stay at the apartment hotels. Not only were we super excited but had waited for this for one year as this would the first time my friends were coming up to Manchester.

I had previously booked the room and then changed the date which was done easily and simply with no hassle (speaking to Tom on the phone) and with my booking I was offered a parking space which I happily reserved (2 months in advance) We stayed in Jan 2012 and as none of us had ever been there we just about managed to find the apartments using satnav and telephoned the apartment to ask for the parking space having quoted my name and the booking details. Unfortunately, we were abruptly informed there is no such booking at all....worried and abit confused we parked at the back of the apartments on the single yellow line and went in to the hotel. The events that exploded from the second our feet hit the hotel ground were a range of astonishing, extremely upsetting and distressing...mostly because I was pregnant, feeling rather sick and was in no condition to be verbally abused by anyone let alone someone I have paid and given my custom to.

Sadly, the second we stepped through the door, we were not greeted but confronted by Michael who immediately approached us with a negative, unwelcome tone to say theres "no parking...nothing, your'e not booking in". I had the confirmation go the reservation in my hand to show that this was not the case on my end. Now, I understand that sometimes things can go wrong, mistakes can be made but generally when a mistake has been made (and its not the fault of the customer/guest) then you offer apologies as a professional courtesy and offer something you can do to make things a bit better for your guest. However, there was no such professional or customer service to be found with Michael that day. Even after explaining that I am pregnant and would not find it appropriate to be roaming the streets looking for parking and having to walk back very late at night, in the freezing temperatures with 3 other young girls...hence the reason we booked the parking space in the first place..for our safety and convenience.

And then the worst was yet to come...we were told to "leave" we were "not allowed to stay and had to leave now"!! For what? What exactly did we do? Did we threaten him? were we drunk and disorderly?, did we terrorise the other guests?, did we break anything?. NO. All we did was ask for a parking space that was pre-booked. Upon being told to leave for no apparent reason I demanded a full refund before I left and to speak to the manager immediately. At this point not only did I feel shaky but also felt like vomiting...never in my life had I experienced this. Michael said "No" to our request of wanting to speak to the manager, Why? is this not my right as a truly unhappy customer of abuse?, and we asked could he phone him and he could not be phoned either?! Um, right so again I protested I would like a full refund as Im not leaving without it. Again, the refund could only be done by the manager who wasn't there and could not be spoken to at all. Upon which my friend spoke to Michael calmly and he gave us a key and a map to find a car park and said nothing more (no sorry either or help with directions to the nearest NCP...which in the end after 45mins of driving around we found one). I was furious and feeling unwell. We then walked to the next door Travelodge to get some water and sit down to calm my nerves and nausea. We even enquired about a room in Travelodge as we were dumbfounded by the criminal treatment we had just received and witnessed. What a shame that my friends had travelled 200+ miles to be mistreated like this.

In the end, I had to move the car and we got our bags and went to the room. Little did we realise that we hadn't even been told how to get into the building (and weren't given the VIP cards promised to us but that was nothing at this point) - we weren't given the PIN code to get into the building, only realising that at 10pm when returning from dinner that we can't get in, luckily the night supervisor Daniel was just in the office and let us in and gave us the pin. I would like to think that was accidental on Michaels part due to the fit of anger he burst into that may have caused him to forget and not that he would maliciously abstain from giving us the code to the building so we would be left standing in the freezing cold at X time hoping someone would open the door for us. I don't know what was in his heart so I won't make that judgement.

Its not all negative though, on the plus side the apartment was really very nice and comfortable. We were given a bigger apartment without knowing, again was this a mistake or done to redeem the previous outburst, i wouldn't know. And the next day we did finally get to speak to Tom the manager who was courteous, professional and explained that he had apparently lost his mobile hence not being contactable (Michael could've informed us but didn't..not sure why not as it sounded like an outright refusal to let us speak to the manager.) In the end, we were given a full refund including the cost of parking and an apology from Tom.

Tom explained Michael has never behaved like this...leaving us to wonder what it was about us that brought out such behaviour? I pray to God it has nothing to do with my race, my religion...who knows!

One thing for sure is that I will never ever recommend anyone (not even my worst enemy) to stay here no matter how great the deal and will never step foot there again. Sadly, i did also feel we were so badly mistreated due to our skin colour...wish it wasn't so. Although Tom saved the day by remaining professional and awarding a refund, the hassle and confrontation from the day before was the first and last impression especially when your in no condition to be receiving abuse (i.e., pregnant and nauseous!).

Room Tip: located in a rough run down area so don't expect to be safe especially if you don't get the parking space you may have pre-booked.
Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank 0ak
CityWarehouse, Front Office Manager at The City Warehouse Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are offended and disgusted by the libellous and grossly unfair accusations you have made towards a member of our staff. In this response I will attempt to cover all the relevant points and provide only the facts.

When you made your original booking with us, the booking included car parking. Unfortunately, and this is entirely a mistake on our part, when you called to transfer your booking to another date, the parking wasn’t transferred with it. It left you in a difficult position, and we have and again will apologise for that. Upon checking you in, Michael did, however provide you with a map to the nearest 2 car parks, and showed you the way you needed to go, in addition to offering to cover the cost of the parking for you. This clearly wasn’t good enough for you, as your reaction at the time displayed. The car park you chose to use was the SIP car park on Oldham Road, which is a 3 minute walk from our front door. Quite what caused you to drive around for 45 minutes is puzzling.

The comments you made accusing Michael of being abrupt and negative from the moment you entered the hotel are, by your own admission, incorrect. You actually spoke to me the following morning on your departure from the hotel and acknowledged that the matter had got out of hand and that you were all tired after your trip when you arrived, and probably over-reacted because of the pregnancy etc, which I accepted. Fortunately for us in this matter, there was another guest in the reception area when you checked in and they were so appalled by the behaviour of you and your group in reaction to being told we couldn’t accommodate your parking, that she felt the need to come to us a short while later and check Michael was ok and asked to speak to myself the following morning to explain what she had seen.

Your accusations of racism towards Michael are disgusting. To throw such accusations around is dangerous and defamatory, not to mention illegal. As I have already mentioned, it is fortunate for us that we have a witness to your behaviour, who has noted exactly how Michael dealt with your threatening and intimidating behaviour towards him, and it was quite the opposite of your explanation.

You pushed Michael to the point where he asked that, if you were to carry on speaking to him in the way you were doing, you would be asked to leave the building as your party were being intimidating and disruptive, not only to Michael, but also to other guests.

I offered you a full refund upon check out, in order to appease the situation, as we go by the general rule here that the customer is always right, and we do our best to make sure everyone leaves our hotel happy. When I discussed this with you on check out, you agreed that this had been a breakdown in communication and an overreaction on both parts.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

the window was locked open (by last guest?) and there was nobody on reception at 1pm so we had to sleep with the window wide open with wind and rain to deal with - however the director gave us a part refund which is why they deserve 5 stars from us.

Room Tip: all good rooms spacious fit for family or couples
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Peter,

Thank you for the great scores you've given us along with your review. I'm sorry about the problem with the window, but I'm glad the refund went some way to rectifying this issue.

I hope to welcome you the hotel again soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

A party of 10 of us (over 2 apartments) stayed at the city warehouse Manchester apartment and I’ve got to say I was extremely impressed, when we arrived it had been raining heavily and reception already had someone checking in, a gentlemen who didn’t even work behind reception came out of his office to start getting our paperwork ready so we could get up to our rooms quicker and dry off, you just don’t get that level of service any more these days so we were really impressed.

We were really hungry so reception recommended a take away for us, when it arrived then called us to let us know it was here, which was really nice of them, we also needed 3 taxis booking and again the receptionist sorted this out for us (they couldn’t do enough to help)

The rooms were fantastic and very spacious, they were also extremely clean to a really high standard (it was like they had only just been built and no one has used them before) the beds were massive and really soft and comfy,

The apartments are close to a main road so we were worried the traffic would keep us aware but we needn’t have worried as we didn’t hear a thing, one of the apartments we had had a large balcony so we spent a long time out there having a glass of wine, it was just perfect, I would recommend this place to anyone and will be staying here again
Thanks
Matt Barraclough

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matt B

Dear Matt,

I'm pleased to hear you had such an excellent stay with us, our staff pride themselves on their customer service standards so I'm glad you appreciated their efforts.

I’ve passed you kind comments onto the housekeeping staff regarding the cleanliness and maintenance of the apartment and they are very pleased that you were so impressed.

It also sounds like you made full use of the terrace balcony in your Penthouse - it's great to hear that you enjoyed it so much and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed for a weekend whilst visiting Airkix and the Chill Factore. We had high expectactions after reading the positive reviews however we were a bit dissappointed with the apartments. You do get amazing value for money staying here compared with travelodge next door for a similar price. The welcome and speed of check-in was fine; and the how clean and tidy the place was couldn't be better. The location is on a busy road with constant traffic and road noise throughout the night. Our apartment was on the fourth floor at the front and we found that we had to keep the windows closed to get any sleep at night. The bedroom was tiny and got very stuffy with no windows open (and no air conditioning or fans). The bathroom was also looking a bit tired and looks to be have been fitted for a flat development rather than a hotel; it was showing a lot of signs of wear and tear. Overall it's fine for the money but we felt we would have rather spent a bit more for a quieter location and a bigger bed/bedroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, or where the road noise isn't so noticable.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I have passed on your compliments regarding the welcome, check-in and cleanliness during your stay to the realevant teams, all of whom are happy that their hard work is appreciated.

You'll be happy to hear that we have a full refurbishment planned for the bathrooms in the hotel this year, I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future to see the change when the work is finished.

Thank you again for your feedback.