“" A Christmas Carol" Ballet performed by Northern Ballet.”
Review of Palace Theatre

Palace Theatre
Ranked #25 of 188 things to do in Manchester
Cheshire, United Kingdom
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“" A Christmas Carol" Ballet performed by Northern Ballet.”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

On Thursday the 21st, November, 2013. we travelled by Trans Pennine Express train from Preston to Manchester's Oxford Road Railway Station, as part of the grey society and with our rail cards the return fare was a miserly £10.50p the journey time was just under an hour.

On our previous visits to The Palace Theatre we normally aim to arrive
by noon so we can have a leisurely lunch at one of the many cafes within walking distance of the theatre. On the 21st, we went to the Cornerhouse cafe which is directly opposite the theatre and even with heavy traffic at peak times it is only a five minute walk. We both had Croche Monseur/madam(2) and a pot of tea for £7.50p and a nice freshly baked cake for £3.50p.

We made our way to the Theatre for the afternoon performance of "A Christmas Carol" by Northern Ballet, we had tickets in the circle for the miserly sum of £13.50p. I have previously seen this Ballet on Television but to see it being performed live, adds another dimension to the performance, all the dancers were superb especially the Principals. We are lucky because one my nieces use to dance with the Royal Ballet and since retiring has formed her own schools in London, so periodically we visit London and get tickets for the Royal Ballet.

We were seated in the circle on the lefthand side in row D there is a notice for the gentlemen's WC next to this is a set of stairs leading to the exit on Oxford Road if you want to vacate the theatre quickly this is a little used exit and from finishing the performance to exiting the theatre took me 5 minutes. The Trans Pennine Express & Northern Rail operate
a service between Manchester & Preston unfortunately they only have 4 coaches in the consist and somtimes only two/three the trains are completely packed in the rush hour and you normally have to stand until the majority of the passengers get off at Bolton or Chorley, so if you can stagger your journey or even start your journey at either Victoria or Manchester Piccaddilly you will have the luxury of a seat which you have paid for.

Visited October 2013

Liverpool
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great Seats!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Visited the Palace Theater last month to watch Wicked as a birthday present, I didn't know which seats he had bought us so I was really excited when we picked the tickets up to find we were in the stalls C26!

I was really worried about the leg room or view but it was just perfect, it wasn't too close or too far away and the show itself was brilliant as seeing it for the second time. Lucky enough we had good neighbors around us.

The interval is about 20 minutes long and the ques for the ladies toilet was really long as there was only two (I'm not too sure if there was more for the stalls.) luckily I'm patient. The Que for drinks and snacks can be quite a wait which is expected and the prices are quite steep (£5 for a small wine.)

Also inside they validate your parking for you for half price before the show if you have your parking ticket, with the car park being just across the road which is handy. I would return here to watch a show in the future,

Visited October 2013
Birmingham
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Disappointing venue...”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is a review of the venue, not the show - I thought 'Wicked' was absolutely amazing, it's one of my all-time favourite shows and it did not disappoint. However the venue is very poor, and needs a bit of TLC. The foyer areas are cramped, the seating on all three levels is poorly raked, and with around a third of the Stalls seats designated 'premium', meaning they will charge upwards of £70 for them, I feel that it is almost an insult. To compare with similar venues that are not too far away, such as The Lowry or Birmingham Hippodrome, the Palace really comes up poorly. It is a shame as I am put off from seeing shows here...I would much rather travel a little bit further, to sit in a better seat for a fraction of the price in a much nicer venue, to see the same show.

The lack of love shown to this venue and the prioritisation of profits over customers is, unfortunately, a characteristic of ATG Tickets' ownership. My advice would be that if you can see the same show in an independent venue then do give it a try, you will be astounded by the differences.

2 Thank Daniel L
London, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Northern Ballet - A Christmas Carol”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My boyfriend had never seen the ballet before, so I wanted to introduce him with a story that he was familiar with - and this production certainly didn't disappoint. A wonderful production with great imaginative sets, lovely dancing and festive songs!
The theatre itself is well located, the staff were absolutely lovely, really exceptionally friendly and the seats were comfortable.
We sat in the stalls and has three rows to ourselves, which is always nice! I would recommend booking seats a little further forwards in stalls as the circle above comes down quite low and it does feel like you may be missing out if anything higher up happens.

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A Christmas carol”
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

The Northern Ballet version of the classic story.
A wonderful old theatre, wonderful use of set changes, great orchestra, and the dancers truly superb.

This was my first experience of ballet, and better than I expected.

Please support your theatres.