“Lovely savoury afternoon tea!”

Opus One - Manchester
Reserve with OpenTable
Opus One - Manchester is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #133 of 2,242 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The dramatically glamorous surroundings of Opus One are a sharp riposte to the Italianate façade of the Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester in which it is situated. An extravaganza of red chandeliers, glossy black woodwork and antique gold wall hangings give this striking central Manchester restaurant a bold, vibrant ambience. Cuisine is fittingly modern British, with locally sourced produce dressed up in excitingly eclectic flavours.
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Lovely savoury afternoon tea!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

Had a delicious 'gentleman's afternoon tea' at Opus one today. A lovely selection of food all served well in a lovely setting, the food I would highly recommend. It was a shame that I couldn't mark it as excellent as was just slightly let down by the standard of service we received. After reading other reviews I can see this isn't usually a problem so maybe it was just an off day or a trainee member of staff but unfortunately it did impact on our lunch. We were initialled greeted by a welcoming gentleman who pointed us in the direction of our waitress who seated us and went through the menu, she then took our order, unfortunately our order was incorrect and we had to send one of the afternoon tea's back there was no apology or waiting time from our waitress, so whilst we waited our food was getting cold, we requested a new mug as there was a chip in one again it was slow service. It was such a shame as the food really was delicious. It certainly wasn't service with a smile and as the service charge was added to our bill at the end, only 10% but the service we received was well below par. I would return but would hope for an outstanding service if I'm paying for the service at the end of things!

• Visited July 2014
Peter B, Manager at Opus One - Manchester, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear reviewer thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to Opus One. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your afternoon tea and the setting of the old Free Trade Hall made an impact on your experience. Please allow me to apologise if our service standards were not up to our usual par, as you have stated it is clear from our other reviews this is not our normal practice. I will be sure to discuss your comments with our team to ensure we keep to our award winning standards at all times. Please do not let this deter you from visiting us again in the near future as we hope to welcome your return. Kind regards. Peter Boyle.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Leeds
“Gentleman's Delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of organising a Stag Party in Manchester City Center. One of my Groom's request was some delicious food between the daytime activity, and the evening frolics!
"Gentleman's Afternoon Tea" was one of the suggestions!
I've had Traditional Afternoon Tea before with the wife, but I was unaware of a Gentleman's alternative, so set about searching for a venue that would serve this newly discovered delight!
Opus One at The Radisson Edwardian was top of the search results, so I dived in!
I called and spoke to a very accommodating lady called Johanna, and it was promptly booked! A couple of quick, polite & efficient emails later, and all dietary angles were covered, and it was thoroughly looked forward to!
The venue itself looks a million dollars! Dark, Moody, but in a very classy & stylish way, and the staff were absolutely faultless & incredibly attentive & professional; one chap in particular was incredibly funny and interactive as well (sorry I didn't get your name!). There was a small wait for the food, but this was by no means a fault.
The food was Delicious! Mini Fish n Chips, Small Beef Filled Yorkshire Pudding... An AMAZING Pork Pie along with sandwiches and very nice scones too!
This was absolutely perfect for recharging our batteries for the evening ahead!
We are NOT a rowdy bunch, but we were a little lively at times (it was a stag after-all!), but this was not frowned upon, and was embraced with a mutual respect, and that is what really made the experience stand out!
Thank you so much for the Brilliant experience!

• Visited July 2014
Peter B, Manager at Opus One - Manchester, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear reviewer, thank you for this great review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our gentleman's afternoon tea, we have been going with it for around two years now and is proving more popular than the traditional! I believe the waiter who served you was Ben and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments. Thank you again for this feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards. Peter Boyle.
stockport
“afternoon tea a lovely treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

We went for afternoon myself,husband and daughter, we were greeted by friendly staff. we were offered different types of afternoon tea, two of us had the traditional and my husband had the gentlemans. We were so impressed with the selection of food that was brought to us, everything was delicious and the quality of the food was outstanding. We were served promptly And were left to enjoy our afternoon tea in lovely surroundings. we had a lovely time, and we have recommended it to everyone. we rate it 10 out of 10.

1 Thank Janice M
Peter B, Manager at Opus One - Manchester, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you very much for this great review of our afternoon tea, It is fantastic to know you had such a good experience with us here at the Free Trade Hall. We look forward to your return in the near future. Kind regards. Peter Boyle.
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“An elegant 21st birthday treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Just visited Opus One for afternoon tea for my daughters 21st birthday as she wanted something different to remember. What a fabulous afternoon we all had from start to finish. The staff were very welcoming and attentive throughout, nothing was too much trouble for them.The presentation of the food was wonderful and the sandwiches and cakes were delicious and very filling, even the lads in our party were full,. I would definitely recommend and would certainly go again.
Many Thanks.

• Visited July 2014
Dear Reviewer. It is great to hear yet again our afternoon tea has been a success! I am also very glad to hear your daughter enjoyed her birthday with us and we were able to make it that bit special. We hope to welcome you back to Opus One again soon. Kind regards. Peter Boyle.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We ate here last Saturday after a few drinks out in the sun. We had booked. Couldn't find fault in the service, thorough explanations of the menu, very accommodating, it's something a bit different here.
It's pricey but you get what you pay for. So much taste in each dish. Recommend the steak! Definitely recommend if you're fancying something a bit different as a treat. Trio of deserts were good!
£110 for 2 people though....

Dear Leah A, Thank you for this great review, we have recently launched our new menu and its reviews such as this that give us confidence we have got it right! I note it may of seemed a little expensive for your taste, we do also have a reduced menu served daily between 5.30 - 7.30 for a fixed price. We look forward to your return to our restaurant. Kind regards. Peter Boyle.