“They even managed to make an Eccles Cake look glamorous”

Opus One - Manchester
Ranked #169 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The dramatically glamorous surroundings of Opus One are a sharp riposte to the Italianate façade of the Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester in which it is situated. An extravaganza of red chandeliers, glossy black woodwork and antique gold wall hangings give this striking central Manchester restaurant a bold, vibrant ambience. Cuisine is fittingly modern British, with locally sourced produce dressed up in excitingly eclectic flavours.
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Enjoyed a Pre Theatre meal here. Three courses and a glass of wine for £25 and it was very good value. Although the menu didn't have a wide choice for each course the food was excellent and portions very generous. I had for the sweet course 'Taste of Manchester' which was great. Two small Manchester cakes - an Eccles Cake and a Manchester Tart with lovely additions - a simple idea, quirkey but delicious.
The drinks order was a bit mixed up but otherwise the service was friendly and efficient.

Peter B, Manager at Opus One - Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thank you for your review. our 'Taste of Manchester' desert has made its way back onto our menu and I am pleased to hear it's a hit with our guests. Kind regards.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were staying in the Radisson and spent our Saturday night in here. Got served by a lovely barman who we bought a drink for and he gave us a free shot! Great night!

Peter B, Manager at Opus One - Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

I'm very pleased to hear you had a great time at our bar. Kind regards.

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We were delighted with the gentleman's tea such a lovely variety of food . We would highly recommend a visit here . A great start to my sons birthday celebrations !

Thank you for your review. I am very glad to hear you had a great experience with us here at Opus One. Kind regards.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had a possibly one of the best afternoon teas in Manchester here at the Edwardian Radisson on the 3rd December, This was our first visit, our party of 5 opted for 2 gentleman’s tea & 3 festive afternoon tea.

Opus One is a lovely modern setting & we all thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were very prompt, courteous & professional, the foods was really fresh & of good quality.

The festive tea consisted of assorted double layered sandwiches (crust off) with smoked salmon & cream cheese, egg mayonnaise, roast beef, salmon pate & ham, 2 warm scones each with strawberry jam & clotted cream, mini cream horn, christmas cake, winter berry jelly & chocolate fudge cake with a selection of teas & coffee to suit.

The gentleman’s tea consisted of assorted sandwiches with smoked salmon & cream cheese, egg mayonnaise, roast beef, salmon pate & ham they bread they used here was different from the festive tea with crust on, 2 warm scones each with strawberry jam & clotted cream, warm pork pie, warm Yorkshire pudding with roast beef & gravy, mini fish & chips with a selection of teas & coffee to suit.

Our party all enjoyed it very much & all agreed it certainly was worth the £18.95 per person.

Minor Criticism / Suggestions
I would have thought the festive tea would be more festive with maybe mice tarts to replace the cream horn & roast turkey on the sandwiches. The only real connection to Christmas was the Christmas cake.

We need spoons to be able to eat the jelly from their narrow glasses, these should have been provided and not have to be asked for.

As the afternoon tea was a treat for my parents & 2 friends I went to pay as soon as I had finished eating ( to avoid the usual disagreement as to who is settling the bill upon leaving ) we didn’t actually leave until an hour later, Opus was very busy & I was chased through the bar & reception being asked to settle my bill, I was polite and informed the 2 waiters I had already done so, they were kind of stumped at this point, I volunteered to show them my receipt and walked back & told them to check there machine just to be sure, the waiter were then very apologetic and looked a little embarrassed.

In future make the necessary check before making accusations…………!!

Thank you for your kind comments, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your afternoon tea. Please accept my apologies for any embarrassment caused to you or your party regarding any mix up caused with payment. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon. Kind regards.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I cannot recommend Opus One highly enough. I booked an afternoon tea for 15 people to celebrate my sister's 60th birthday as a surprise. From the beginning the staff could not do enough for us. The booking was made via email and I had to amend it to increase the numbers twice as well as add a vegetarian option, no problem. Deposit was paid via email. On the day the service, staff and food were excellent. We mixed gentlemans afternoon tea with the traditional and all were fantastic. My sister received a complimentary glass of bubbly and a lovely happy birthday brownie on a plate decorated with chocolate. The staff managed a large booking extremely well. Lovely sandwiches, cakes, scones and as much tea and coffee as we wanted. We were not rushed at all and had the table for 3 hours. A fantastic experience that was excellent value for money - we will be going back very soon. Don't eat much before you go as there is just too much to eat (but you can take whats left away in a box!)

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

I am delighted to hear you and your guests enjoyed your visit. I will be sure to pass your kind comments onto our team. Regards.