“All style over substance” 1 of 5 bubbles

ABode Restaurant
Ranked #335 of 2,184 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In the bustling centre of Manchester's Piccadilly, ABode Restaurant at ABode Manchester offers smart modern European cooking from its period location inside a former cotton merchant's warehouse. Situated on the lower ground level, this elegant restaurant has a buzzy, easygoing vibe, with snappy grazing menus and express lunches for busy diners and sumptuous à la carte offerings for more leisurely meals. Typically creative dishes include pan-fried brill with creamed leeks and chive butter sauce or best-end of lamb with onion and thyme purée.
SOUTHPORT
“All style over substance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

My partner and I were staying in the Abode hotel on its " Spring Sensation" package,for which one received a meal in the bar and grill upstairs.
We decided to forego this and treat ourselves to a meal in the downstairs restaurant that billed itself as fine dining. What a mistake that turned out to be.
We were met by an affable maitre d' who explained the menus to us and we chose to go with the tasting menu but without the accompanying wines for £65 per head.
When my mackerel starter arrived alarm bells should have started ringing, I was presented with a plate,large,white,with what was more a biopsy of the alleged fish than anything substantial to taste.
Let me digress a moment. To me the concept of dinner is simple,one is hungry, one eats and at the end ones hunger should be gone. Here it was different,I felt exactly the same after the meal as I did before,hungry! It was possibly the only time I've taken my belt in a notch as opposed to letting it out.
I'm not going to go through each individual dish and pick its faults,although there was a deconstructed pre-dessert brioche that my partner described as"burnt scrappings from an oven tray" that lived on in the memory.
Now, I may have misjudged "the concept" about tasting menus to which I plead ignorance.
But to that I say this. If charging £65 per head for miniscule particles of food delivered with a Shakespearean soliloquy as to what it is and to what it should taste like when in fact none of the dishes tasted of anything other than the blandest of bland,deserted of any seasoning or taste and call it fine dining takes the proverbial biscuit.
For not much more one could eat at Le Gavroche, or Ramsay's Chelsea restaurant,but that is Premier league dining,this unfortunately is 4th division stuff and yet it pretends to attain those heights and charges accordingly,like a pre-fab pretending it's the Taj Mahal.
So with wine and service,that incidently was added to our bill,which was the one part of the bill I didn't mind paying as this was exemplary,it was not short of £200,a weekly wage for some,to be left feeling hungry and frankly ripped off.
We had high hopes when we dined here and its a shame it didn't match our expectations. Others have dined here and found it superb and they're entitled to their opinion I can only speak as I found.
Wish it could have been better,sady it wasn't

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MARKASouthport
opsman1, Manager at ABode Restaurant, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear guest. Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. Whilst I am pleased to read that the service element of your recent dining experience did live up to your expectations, I am most disappointed that the quality and quantity of the dishes did not on this ocassion. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly on operations@abodemanchester.co.uk. Kind regards.

• Polish first
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Excellent dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

On Saturday 19th April my wife and I dined here with my sister in law and enjoyed the 9 course set dinner.
The food was exquisite and the matched wines complemented the food perfectly .
Service was superb- well paced, good humoured and not intrusive , but highly attentive.
Highly recommended.

Wigan
“Our first and last visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

My partner and I visited Michael Caines at Abode on Saturday 8th March with friends to celebrate a colleague's 30th birthday. Our friend had made the reservation specially and we all ate from the a la carte menu.
In all honesty, it was one of the worst meals I have ever had - so much so, that upon leaving, we ate later elsewhere. The menu choices were limited to begin with but upon receiving the food we were most disappointed as the style was "minimalistic" to say the least! The most enjoyable course was our pre-starter - a delicious, sweet butternut squash soup - nevertheless, this was served in nothing larger than an espresso shot glass. Our starters were small - I ordered the scallops which, again were delicious, although sadly there were no more than three on the plate. The main course was another disappointing affair - I chose the beef although this was cut far too thinly for my liking, was desperately undercooked and, quite frankly, there was not enough of it! Additionally, we could not fill up on vegetables or other accompaniments as these were a rarity too.
All in all we paid over £60 per person and left Michael Caines Restaurant hungry. We did not even dare have a dessert due to the price and quantity of food we would have received!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheGrayOne
opsman1, Manager at ABode Restaurant, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear guest. First I would to like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent dining experience within our restaurant. The team and I are most disappointed to read that the dinner did not live up to your expectations on this ocassion and would like to offer our sincere apologies. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly on operations@abodemanchester.co.uk. Kind regards.
“Tasting Menu is Well Worth the £££”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I booked into this restaurant while at a conference in Manchester. The website was extremely easy to navigate and make online bookings, the restaurant called the day of to confirm the booking and the numbers, and the service was impeccable. Even while dining alone and as a young women I was made to feel incredibly comfortable and received fantastic service. Staff are very knowledgeable and the chef extremely talented. I had the Prestige Tasting Menu and it was absolutely fantastic - I am normally a semi picky eater but sent all plates back empty!! The sommelier was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would definitely go back and do recommend this fine dining restaurant!

opsman1, Manager at ABode Restaurant, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear guest. Many thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. The team and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Business treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

8 course taster menu was delicious, the wine sommelier was fantastic and gave a run down of all the paired wines. Veggie options offered were on the cheap side so we asked for an alternative and chef offered to seabass. Would recommend for a business dinner where you need to hear people speak and gather around a nice round table with good service.

Visited April 2014