“A wonderful meal that won't break the bank”
Review of Albert's Shed

Albert's Shed
Ranked #34 of 2,371 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: If arriving by train - we are a 2 minute walk from Deansgate train station and a short taxi ride from Piccadilly Station. If arriving by Metrolink - we are a 5 minute walk from G-Mex Metrolink station. If arriving by road we are very close to the end of both the M56 and M602. Look out for The Beetham Tower (Hilton Hotel)
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I can honestly say that it was one of the nicest meals we have had in a long time. The prawn and scallop Thai green curry was gorgeous but then so was everything else that we had. The restaurant is lovely inside and the staff and on a nice day the alfresco area is a lovely place to watch the world go by.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,270)

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I love the atmosphere and feel of Albert's shed, but the starters (salmon and duck) and mains (steak and fish and chips) we ordered all tasted horribly bland and my steak in particular looked like it had been smashed and pounded into a weird shape. When ordering, it was shocking that when I asked for my steak to be "medium", the waitress told me the chef could only do rare or well done. I really enjoy castlefield and the adjoining Dukes 92 bar owned/run by the same management, but sad to say I will not be bringing anyone back to Albert's shed anytime soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have dined at Albert's Shed and its sister restaurant Albert's on several occasions, generally with the same couple who choose it because they like to eat out without breaking the bank. However, the old adage of 'You get what you pay for' always applies for me and while the place is very nice, service pretty good and food above average, there is no wow factor and I never look forward to going there, because I'd rather pay an extra £10 to £15 per head and eat at a superior restaurant. Based on this visit, which was not the best I've had there I conclude that even by their own standards Albert's Shed has slipped and this is because it is such a popular, busy restaurant that the meals are churned out rather than lovingly prepared. Perhaps reducing the number of bookings or increasing the staff is required, just to allow that extra breath to overcome the complacency that has set in. My soup starter arrived cold, my friend's Tuna loin was overcooked and then when a new one arrived, she described it as tasting vile. My seabass was very nice, but the portioned out serving, together with my sides was shoddily presented, as if it had been served up for a school dinner. Staff did remove the soup and Tuna from the bill, but my wife was left to eat her starter on her own and myself vice versa when the soup returned. Seeing our friend's wife who is not a complainer have no food , given that she had no starter and left the Tuna, spoilt the enjoyment for us all. She put on a brave face and shared an ice cream dessert, but frankly this was not an acceptable, night even though 3 out of 4 main courses were OK. The only good thing is I suspect these friends won't recommend going back to Albert's Shed again for a while! It's a shame because it is a very nice contemporary restaurant and a few tweaks could really make for a much improved and more consistent standard. As regards the Tuna, my son was also very disappointed with this when he ate it at Albert's in Didsbury, so perhaps a change of supplier or re-training on cooking this is required, together with a visit to Manchester's Restaurant Bar and Grill where the Tuna loin is outstanding.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We sat outside under cover - service prompt and menu full of foods I like to eat. My risotto was packed with flavour and the wine nicely chilled. I did however find it disappointing that the outside area was under glass cover including glass side panels and yet people were able to smoke.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Been here with family numerous times, the title of my review says it all. Highly recommended. Adventurous menu.....wonderfully presented. Wine list pleasing and served at decent temperature. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Busy vibrant venue at weekends and overall we ve never been disappointed. I recommend this establishment to all my business contacts.