“Hellfire Birthday Banquet!”

Dining options: Reservations
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Hellfire Birthday Banquet!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Hellfire Club was an excellent choice for my 27th birthday party! We had the banquet room upstairs which was very gothic and creepy. The atmosphere, food and service were all amazing. Especially the tomato and red pepper soup which was served from a cauldron. After dinner we continued the party downstairs in the bar til the early hours. Such a great place. I need an excuse to go back now! Anybody got a party I can crash?

• Visited September 2012
5 Thank Katie M

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This place is amazing there were ghost's , Zombies , ghoul's , Demons , Witches. The place has to be one of the best places I have ever been to in my life It was just amazing I really do recommend it!. The place has a new manger now so everything has changed it started off a little rough and now its starting to hit to spot fanatic night! This has got to be the place for every one just so crazy I'm so going back!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Leom G
Salford, United Kingdom
“What a great place”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Went to the Hellfire Club on Saturday 26th Nov 2011 with my husband , Son and Daughter in law . What a great place , as soon as you step in the building theres an eerie feeling . Big old wooden tables , candles everywhere and dont get me started on the coffin ! The decor is great with so much to take in i sat there with my mouth open for the first 5 minutes . After reading the menu with a torch we were entertained with card tricks , coin tricks whilst our food was prepared . I ordered the mushrooms ,between us we literally had to taste each others starters of meatballs and the most delicious cauliflower and stilton soup as all were equally as lovely . For the mains i have Chicken with fresh vegetables and mouth watering herby mash . Got to say the food was top notch and excellent quality . The staff were very attentive and welcoming and we all agreed we would definatley go again .

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank pony36
“What a experience”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Went to the hellfire for the first time last night, after ringing up at 7.30 we got booked in for 9 o'clock even though they had no space for us they booked us in and we had plenty of space and a great table, my boyfriend treated me and my parents to a night out, and what more can I say that what a great time we had! Food was great drinks were great and the music was even better, as soon as we walked in we felt as if we had walked into another world with all the spooky pictures and real candles flickering away, all the decor was very good and realastic, with the coffins in the corner to what looks like a stray jacket over the window, food was very hot when came out with plenty on your plate, I asked for chips I got mashed patatoes, I pointed this out and they were more than helpful I got my plate back with lovely chunky chips, and what looked like more chicken than I previously had, after a full meal we had desert, and what deserts they were, tastes buds were satisfied and too top it off before we went home we had our own personal magic show, he was brill fantastic, I even got to keep the coin he bent in my hand! All in all what a great night we had would deffinatly return again. Thank you hellfire :)

3 Thank goulsandghosts
north west england
“my worst birthday party ever”
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I feel that I have to write in and share my experience of this awful place. I'm not fussy at all and I just wish that I had chosen a reliable restaurant in the city centre instead of trying to go for something a bit different. It was awful.

I came for my birthday party, there were about 12 of us and I was looking to have a special night with my friends. I wish I had trusted the bad reviews on other sites. When we finally arrived (what a trek!) I thought that the hearse outside and the creepiness of the place would be a great start to what lay ahead and be a party to remember. Well it will be a party to remember, for all the wrong reasons!

We went inside and we all stood in the doorway, nobody greeted us. The magician was at the bar doing some tricks so we watched that for a bit, and then assumed that if nobody was going to seat us then we would get some drinks. And they were expensive too! Finally after a lot of standing around the other guy who worked there seated us. He asked if instead of us all sitting at the big square table that some of us sat in a line at the other end of the table, quite a way away. This seemed bizarre. He said that he wanted to move us in case he got some walk-in diners later. Well he didn't anyway so it was a waste of time! And we didn't want to do that anyway because some of the guests didn't know each other and it would be abit awkward. We said no and then I think because of that we got bad service for the rest of the night. May I add as well that the venue was very cold so I advise you bring a jacket if you don't want to freeze! Many times we had to go to the front door ourselves and close it to stop the draught!

The inside was very small, just a few tables. The decoration was all fine, very gothic etc, which was expected. There was a hen do at the other side of the room and they were being entertained by the magician guy. I had spoken to the owner on the phone about this and he said that we would be entertained by him later, which personally I couldn't wait for. His tricks looked amazing. More on this later.

The menu came and it all seemed rather rushed. There were a lot of us, some of whom didn't know each other and we wanted to chat for a bit but before we knew it we were asked to place our orders. Ordering was a complete farce - many of the dishes were not available, and you had to have ordered any of the fish dishes 24 hours in advance!!! This was ridiculous and not explained to me on the phone at the time of booking. It left us with very few options to choose from.

The menu was OK, trying to be all creepy with "weird" dishes and so on. My starter was awful. It was literally some melted cheese on a single, hard crumpet, with some chilli jam. It did not work at all and tasted disgusting. Somebody else had pork ribs and said that they were dry. Not a good start. Also the room was so dim that we were literally eating in the dark.

The mains were brought out quickly. Again they left a lot to be desired. I had a dish that a 12 year old could make - some pasta mixed with a plasticy, dull cheese sauce that could have been bought from any supermarket and done in 10 minutes. Very disappointing. The only good thing I can say about the food is that the chunky chips that other people had were nice.

On another note, the toilets were clean and drinking out of goblets was a nice touch.

So back to the magician. After entertaining the hen do, he walked to the next table with a disinterested couple sat there. Why not come to us, especially when I asked for him! We had been there for nearly 2 hours at that point and I was so disappointed that he didn't come to us, it would have brightened up a rubbish night.

And laughably, halfway through the meal I got a phone call from the owner asking where I was and reminding me we had a table booked. He was on the phone at the bar and had absolutely no idea we were eating our main courses. I simply waved from the table. Who did he think we were?!?! It was just bizarre.

The worst bit was coming to pay. Some of us went to pay by card and it took a long time. The owner was clearly flustered, asking me where I was from and getting it all wrong. To add insult to injury, he added a few pounds onto each of our bills, which was very sneaky and I didn't like that at all. Also my friend had asked for one of the main courses and it had been changed, so she assumed she would be charged the same price for the new meal. No, she was charged £16, £6 more than her original meal, for a "beef wellington", a glorified bit of meat in pastry. She's from London and said that she could get much nicer meals than that for much less. That definitely soured the evening as I wanted my guests to have a good time.

Then the owner said that we had a tab of £7, which was crazy because we had been paying for our drinks at the bar as we were going along. At first we refused to pay but obviously we couldn't so I was quite tearful by this point and people dropped some change in the middle of the table that we could use. Everybody just wanted to get out of this terrible hell hole at this point.

We asked for 2 taxis to be ordered for a certain time because we had to be somewhere in town. None of the staff kept an eye out for the taxi. One of my friends went outside and there was a minibus there, so we grabbed our things as the owner said that it was ours and I was panicked because we were a bit late. But then it drove off and we told the owner who just said "that was your taxi". We kept an eye out for a bit longer and another minibus came, which was thankfully ours. No goodbye from the staff or anything, we just ran out and made our way into town. Phew.

This place is an absolute dive. I think I know what it is aiming for, but it is nowhere near that yet and it needs a LOT of improvements. Thanks for spoiling my birthday, Hellfire.

• Visited April 2011