“Excellent!”

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Just got home after spending a night here, very stylish, very comfortable, spotlessly clean and very recommend.
We stay in hotels regularly, and this is one of the best we have stayed in, big rooms, comfy bed, decent coffee, friendly staff and central, found a car park on bloom street only £8 for 24 hours.
A little noise from the street, but, it's on one of the busiest bar streets in manchester, didn't affect our stay in any way, had a few drinks in the bar, staff very friendly and chatty.
There are cheaper rooms available in the city, but I doubt you will find better value.
Would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank krish_singh

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I'd been for dinner a few years ago and never knew they had a hotel. When searching online, I came across a great deal for the place and booked. Its a few minutes walk from Piccadilly train station and very central to all else Manchester has to offer. Great, large room with a partial conservatory ceiling was on offer in a standard room. Not even the suite! Very friendly staff, REN products in the bathroom, enormous room all made it a fantastic stay. Was only there for a quick over night stay but wish I'd had more time there.

Room Tip: I had room 31 and it's excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tim W
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed for one night in room 25. All staff were very attentive and on first impressions we were impressed. We had a meal in the restaraunt and happy hour cocktails which we thoroughly enjoyed. Service was efficient and the food was great.

The room and bathroom was both spacious, clean and tidy, everything you would expect, apart from the basin tap was very wobbly to say the least and a large tile panel was just resting against the wall. This really should have been dealt with as I sure they are both very quick and easy jobs to rectify. The other stange thing was the built in wardrobe. You could barely open the door to hang anything up. The bedside cabinet was clearly too close to the door therefore making it impossible to get the ironing board out of the wardrobe obviously a design malfunction. I would gladly of moved the bedside cabinet myself but it was far to heavy to move. Having said all that we did enjoy ourselves there and the ambiance did put us in the mood.

After reading previous reviews, we were expecting some nightime noise but because the weather was so bad, we were lucky we did not hear much coming from the street below but, what we did not expect for a 4 star hotel was a very dissapointing lack of sound proofing from neighbouring rooms to the side and above. You could hear light switches being turned on and off, tv's, people walking about and worst of all clear conversations in the early hours of the morning, it was like they were actually in the room with you and to be fair, they werent exactly shouting. You really wouldn't expect this in a hotel of this standard, but that was what we got. So come on Velvert invest in a little bit of soundproofing.

Overall; we had a fab time, checking in and out was hassle free, staff very friendly, even the doorman made us feel very welcome. Would I stay here again, yes I would, but I would ask for a quieter room!

3  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I can not fault my stay at the velvet hotel. We stayed for 1 night, room14 which was directly behind reception. Everything was perfect, the small touches in the room, the location, it was spotless. The people who worked there were excellent and got us everything we needed. When we arrived back at the hotel after having a drink in their lovely bar, they had turned the room down with chocolates and put on some soothing music. Everything was easy and relaxing. Had a wonderful nights sleep. Also it's happy hour until 7 so we got some lovely cocktails for £5 each and they were very strong! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Natalie C
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We are just back from staying May bank holiday weekend. I booked this hotel on booking.com in 2013 for my partners birthday. At that stage Velvet was number 1 on tripadvisor. I do normally like boutique hotels as they are different and to add a personal touch BUT NOT VELVET!

I put in the booking notes that it was his birthday. Around a week beforehand I also sent them an email reminding of this as most hotels do give you a nice welcome gift/card....not Velvet - nothing! Others have commented here of champagne etc and others like ourselves received nothing....not a very fair service. We stayed in Hilton DoubleTree London last year and as well as a CARD there was WINE and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY brownie plate. Nice touch and no problem to the staff.

The hotel is slap bang on Canal Street and within 15 min walk to other areas of Manchester eg Picadilly, Arndale and the wonderful Spinningfields. I did expect that we would have some noise due to the location so I can forgive the people shouting at 6am and the glass bottles being emptied and the street cleaner but what I cannot forgive are the blinds which do not fully black out/cover the window - IF YOU LIKE TO SLEEP IN THE DARK - GO TO MALMAISON OR THE HILTON INSTEAD! There are also 2 curtains in the room but for decorative purposes only as they did not move.

The second issue was that we could hear others in other rooms opening their blinds as well as the guests in the room above walking across the floorboards, flushing the toilet and coughing. I felt like I was in a house.

These would not be the standards I would have expected from a hotel which charges such high prices for a night stay. This hotel also has a bar (very small) and restaurant (in basement) - it really seems as if they are trying to do too much as the hotel side was poor. The bar staff were very pleasant and served you quickly.

I was also quite annoyed as to how the check out was. As you will read from other reviews on check in If you use your debit card and there is a £50 surcharge. On check out I was being charged the same amount again and I had to question the guy on the desk! I then also asked for my receipt that it had been cancelled and the receipts were torn up and put in the bin with a reply of that he pressed no on the debit card system so it did not go through. How do I know that? Really such dismissive behaviour! It's not as if they were busy.

I really feel that the hotel is very overpriced for what you get. I thought we would be wowed by our stay and it felt like we were staying in a house.

I did email the hotel on 4/5/14 with this info and received an acknowledgement that a manager would contact me on 6/5/14 - it is now 9/5/14 and the only reason I can think of a delay in response is that so many people will have issues like this!

I am sure that they will post something underneath to try to redeem themselves but if you read my other reviews you will see the types of hotels we stay in and most definately this is well below the 4 star mark. I would not even class it as a hotel - more of a B and B

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel! Malmaison and Hilton Double Tree are 2 mins away and at least you will ge...
8  Thank JohnnyMcComb
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed at Velvet in Manchester numerous times now and it is by far the best balance of price to quality we can find in the city. During the week, or even a Sunday night, rooms can be had for in the region of £100. At this price it cannot be beaten. The rooms, even the basic King, are spacious and the bathrooms quite well appointed. It is always clean and the decor and state of repair is far superior to larger but similarly marketed hotels such as Malmaison. Check in is prompt, assistance is always offered for getting luggage to the room and welcome tea and coffee is provided.

Dinner in the attached restaurant is of a gastropub style and quality is more than acceptable at the price. Breakfast is also of a reasonable standard but the continental selection is sparse at best - 'pastries' means a croissant or muffin.

There are a few minor niggles that mar the stay - the morning newspaper is not complimentary (the way it is offered implies that it is) and it is not delivered in time for early risers to read over breakfast, ideally it should be delivered before breakfast starts being served. Secondly, at the weekend (and in our experience only at the weekend) noise levels from neighbouring bars can be excessive. On the recent Bank Holiday Weekend loud music began at 4am on Monday morning and revellers were still enjoying their night at 10.30am on Monday when we checked out from a Sunday evening stay. A good night's sleep was not had.

For a weekday stay I can't recommend Velvet highly enough, at the weekend as long as you realise you're in the heart of the Gay Village and it's abundance of night life then you won't be disappointed - just don't expect a quiet night!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay here for a night whilst I was out on the town. Lovely location slap bang in Gay Village which is always heaps of fun and very lively!

Checked in, had a pre-authorisation of room plus £50 incase of use of the minbar. No worries there. Room was fine, nice quirky decor. Little note saying enjoy your stay which is always welcome. Was greeted with a welcome tray of biscuits etc, again a great touch.

Nice comfy bed, decent bathroom and couldn't really knock it.

Checked out and paid the room price, pre-authorisation was not removed as promised. My bank took the payment. Not necessarily the hotels fault but nonetheless an inconvenience. I spoke to my bank, emailed velvet and they sorted it out for me extremely quickly.

If not for this, a very pleasant stay with staff who know exactly what is required to keep guests happy.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple