“"Outstanding"”

GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“"Outstanding"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Anyone stopping over in Manchester should definitely stay at the Velvet. After deciding to take my girlfriend away for a couple of days I wanted to take her somewhere a bit special, after looking at "lots" of hotels I decided to try the Velvet.....and im so glad I did. We stayed in one of the balcony rooms and although it wasnt the room I had in mind before we arrived I wasnt disappointed. Big Four poster bed and a huge roll top bath....perfect ;) I do recommend the "romantic arrival" & the "bath butler" service, its a really nice touch and makes it a little extra special. Deffo 5*....big thank 2 Velvet & special thanks 2 Nina x

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Chose the Velvet hotel based on the Tripadvisor recommendations. Overall first impressions of the hotel were good. The staff were friendly and the hotel had character.

Unfortunately, I experienced a few niggles whilst staying here which let it down (especially considering the price tag for the room).

As others have mentioned where the hotel is situated can make it noisy with partygoers on the street. However, I also experienced noise from adjacent rooms during the middle of the night which woke me (I believe another guest complained about this too), as well as generally bad soundproofing.

Also had a bad experience of something of mine being thrown away by housekeeping. I believe this was a genuine mistake, however this was very careless. Management resolved this by reimbursement, however it left a bad taste for me and my stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Karena-macarena
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

What an incredible hotel. We have stayed in many UK hotels but never anything quite like this one. If you want to try somewhere different with character and atmosphere, this is the one for you. We had room 24 (black and red theme - massive bath).

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from start to finish. On arrival we were offered a hot drink which was brought to our room on a on a tray with a glass of fizz, cookies, ice bucket and fruit slices and jar of boiled sweets.
Attention to in this hotel is outstanding and the best we have ever experienced. Everything you might need was provided - dressing gowns and slippers, fine toiletries, iron, safe and a mini bar and snack box you could buy from if you got the munchies (alternatively there are several all night supermarkets a few minutes walk away). It has a lovely cosy restaurant and the food is superb and very reasonable in price.
DVDs and books are available to borrow if you fancy a night in after a hard days shopping and a soak (swim) in the bath.
Fantastic hotel and great location where you feel safe to walk out at night! Would definitely go back again to de-stress.

You will need to be mindful if you are on a tight budget that you will need to pay for parking at a near by car park - The one we opted for at the end of the street cost £30 for two days - we could have opted for a cheaper one but we paid a bit more for the convenience of not having to think about returning to top up the ticket.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

In Manchester for one night, we wanted something a little special and close to the train station. Velvet fitted that bill. It is on the expensive side but the rooms are very nice and they had an attention to detail that was excellent. It's got some character as it appears to be an old warehouse converted into a hotels. A small number of rooms done in different styles and thoughtfully decorated.
The small annoyance is noise. Late in the week and the weekend means the Manchester party crowd is all around this hotel. Canal St seems to be a favourate party location and they go well into the night so don't complain if it's noisy. We still slept well and liked the hotel so it's only the noise that stopped a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Go for a room as high up as possible.
Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Just spent the night at Velvet with my wife whilst visiting the Manchester Arena. Hotel is 20 mins walk so far enough away not to be swamped with concert visitors but still an easy walk, so location is great.
We were offered an upgrade on arrival @66% discount so we happily accepted and our penthouse room was fantastic. It was so quiet in our room I could not believe I was in a city centre as it was silence so we had a perfect nights sleep. We used the restaurant which served us quickly as we asked and breakfast too used very good quality ingredients and was cooked to order. (order this when you book room to save 25%). Very romantic and peaceful room! Would go back....

Room Tip: Book a standard double and ask about upgrades when you actually arrive.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Visited Velvet on Wednesday 5th March with my girlfriend, admittedly it's not something I would have booked but my partner booked it as a surprise and I was very very impressed! from the moment we walked in the staff were extremely friendly and the room was amazing! they took care of every little detail to make our stay extra special, we had the bath filed with candles and rose petals on the bed nothing was too much.. I have read previous reviews about the noise but if you stay in canal street you should be expecting it, it is eighth in the heart of the night life!.. I highly recommend this hotel to couples having a night away! thank you velvet boutique (room 34)

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Booked for a romantic night away and everything was perfect. Staff are so polite and make sure everything is perfect for your stay. Make sure you get a balcony room and book extras! So worth it I had the bath butler with the gigantic bath and rose petal turndown and the look on the boyfs face was priceless. was silent as it was midweek so if you want to stay at the weekend and expect it to be quiet dont be so stupid its in a lively area and perfect for anyone with a personality! Will be returning to this hotel many times in the future. We got complimentary cocktails in the bar as the bath wasnt quiet ready as we had turned up to early and I wanted to suprise the boyf. Amazing stay and amazing staff ♡♡♡♡ 10* service