“Attention to detail (but one small annoyance)”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 7, 2014

In Manchester for one night, we wanted something a little special and close to the train station. Velvet fitted that bill. It is on the expensive side but the rooms are very nice and they had an attention to detail that was excellent. It's got some character as it appears to be an old warehouse converted into a hotels. A small number of rooms done in different styles and thoughtfully decorated.
The small annoyance is noise. Late in the week and the weekend means the Manchester party crowd is all around this hotel. Canal St seems to be a favourate party location and they go well into the night so don't complain if it's noisy. We still slept well and liked the hotel so it's only the noise that stopped a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Go for a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Velvet

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Just spent the night at Velvet with my wife whilst visiting the Manchester Arena. Hotel is 20 mins walk so far enough away not to be swamped with concert visitors but still an easy walk, so location is great.
We were offered an upgrade on arrival @66% discount so we happily accepted and our penthouse room was fantastic. It was so quiet in our room I could not believe I was in a city centre as it was silence so we had a perfect nights sleep. We used the restaurant which served us quickly as we asked and breakfast too used very good quality ingredients and was cooked to order. (order this when you book room to save 25%). Very romantic and peaceful room! Would go back....

Room Tip: Book a standard double and ask about upgrades when you actually arrive.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Visited Velvet on Wednesday 5th March with my girlfriend, admittedly it's not something I would have booked but my partner booked it as a surprise and I was very very impressed! from the moment we walked in the staff were extremely friendly and the room was amazing! they took care of every little detail to make our stay extra special, we had the bath filed with candles and rose petals on the bed nothing was too much.. I have read previous reviews about the noise but if you stay in canal street you should be expecting it, it is eighth in the heart of the night life!.. I highly recommend this hotel to couples having a night away! thank you velvet boutique (room 34)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Booked for a romantic night away and everything was perfect. Staff are so polite and make sure everything is perfect for your stay. Make sure you get a balcony room and book extras! So worth it I had the bath butler with the gigantic bath and rose petal turndown and the look on the boyfs face was priceless. was silent as it was midweek so if you want to stay at the weekend and expect it to be quiet dont be so stupid its in a lively area and perfect for anyone with a personality! Will be returning to this hotel many times in the future. We got complimentary cocktails in the bar as the bath wasnt quiet ready as we had turned up to early and I wanted to suprise the boyf. Amazing stay and amazing staff ♡♡♡♡ 10* service

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Had a two night stay at the Velvet on Canal Street. I expected noise from the street as our window faced into it but it was quiet. The staircase up to the reception may be difficult for anyone with mobility problems. The room was fantastic- ornate bed, well equipped bathroom, hot monsoon style shower over the bath. Bathrobes, slippers and a full hamper and mini bar as extras to pay for.
We were shown to our room and the amenities of the room explained, this was the only interaction we had with anyone from the hotel. There were drink stains on the bench but the rest of the room and bathroom was clean. Although the Velvet has a bar restaurant separate from the main hotel there are no other social spaces for chilling outside of your room. There is a turn down service at night and chocolates left on the bed with milk and fruit supplied daily. We had let the hotel know that this stay was part of our anniversary and birthday but no reference was made to that.
Great room but nothing beyond that. Now we have experienced the Velvet we don't feel the need to return.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My boyfriend booked this hotel for my birthday and we didn't know what to expect but it really was brilliant. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was fantastic. The welcome tray with cookies, ice tray and fruit was a lovely touch and not something I have seen anywhere else. The bed was super comfy and the room was really clean. The only slight negative was that our room was at the top of the stairs so you could hear the comings and goings of other guests but you don't expect to be in a hotel on your own so that was no problem to us. Also worth nipping down to the bar for a cocktail. Atmosphere was lovely and the drinks were delicious! Thank you for a brilliant break!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed here for a midweek birthday trip to Manchester. I have stayed in a few hotels around the area, this one being one on the higher end of the price scale. I did look two days before we came and the price had gone down by £60 which is the chance you take but is obviously slightly annoying.

The room was spacious, clean and well thought out with a rustic feel. The lights and the mood in the room were all good, along with a nice hot, powerful shower.

Check in was smooth with someone carrying our bags for us and bringing us a hot drink on arrival. (There was no sugar on the hospitality tray though or on the tray he brought but I wasn't bothered enough to ring back to ask for it)

Our room was turned down in the evening which was a lovely touch, with chocolates on the pillow and a note.

The gentleman on reception was very helpful when we asked for ice and an extra pillow due to a knee injury the person I was with had suffered a few days before-how efficient and concerned he was makes me tempted to add an extra star to the review.

iPod docks in the room which were good, but we found out at 5am and again at 5.15am that there was an alarm on our particular dock-it was really annoying to have to wake up to try and work out how to turn the thing off!

Seemed quite noisy outside the room, there was a motorbike which came and went until about 3am, not the hotels fault but worth noting if you're expecting a good nights sleep.

We had breakfast delivered to our room-standard food really for £13.50 each and a £4 tray service-so £31 altogether. It was on time but quite cold really-you could either let your croissants and toast go cold as they were uncovered or your cooked breakfast.

The lady on check out was once again polite, friendly and helpful.

For me this is a nice hotel, but average for the money you pay. For the same price I think you can find better around the area. Had I paid the £60 less it probably would have been a four star review but I don't think I'd stay again for the same price.

A fair to good stay overall, just a little bit more would have made this hotel very good.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple