Velvet Hotel
$115
$114
$104
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$84
  • Pool
$103
$96
1,857 results
All reviewscanal streetfresh milkbalcony roomrubber duckbath butlerdouble baththe penthouselittle touchesboutique hotelon arrivalturn down servicegay villageice bucketmini barroll top bathfantastic hotelsaturday night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I booked the hotel after reading the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor. I booked room 35 -- the air in the room was a bit stale with layers of dust on all the unused areas like the table lamp covers. Also, the heat was not working and the staff had to bring in a portable heater. Worst yet, there was a semen stain on the decorative cover on the bed -- wholly unacceptable (this is the main reason behind the poor rating, rather than an average rating).

This experience was made worst by sudden incessant knocking at 4am one night -- the knocker went from one room to another and back and forth for 15 minutes, knocking on our door 3 times in the time span. When we called the front desk, they said, it was a drunk guest looking for his room -- or perhaps the hotel should look into its security?

All and all, the decor, cleaniness, upkeep and security at the hotel does not justify the GDP 250 I paid, and I will not recommend this hotel. Given the lack of upkeep and cleaniness, I think this is a three star hotel at best.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fiona2328
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have visited Velvet a few times and can not fault. Always outstanding food and a great price. Rib Eye steak is very well cooked. Lovely. Located on Canal street, I have brought my parents here a few times. The décor is great and the place is very clean

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Let me start this by saying that I never write reviews but I was so appalled by the service that I couldn't not. Our stay was fine, room was really nice and it was clean, location was also good.
Although when I got home I realised that the hotel had not released the preauthorisation on my card so I had basically paid twice, bare in mind this is 2 weeks before christmas.
I phoned the hotel, dialed 2 to be put through to hotel, but got the restaurant, after been put on hold several times I was told that there was no reception staff or manager to take my call and I was asked to phone back.
I phoned back half an hour later and was told that they would talk to their accounts department and get back to me. 3 hrs later I got a call back and was told that it wasn't their problem and to contact my bank, I had already done this so I know there was nothing I could do from my end, all they had to do was contact their merchant bank and have the pre auth released but it was now 5pm on a Friday and the accounts people had gone home. I asked to speak to a manger and was told he was off ( on a Friday night, in a hotel, 2 wks before christmas). So there I was left without €270 for the weekend. They did however send me an email to show my bank so they would release the funds, but that was no good to me. I ended up having to wait 8 days for the funds to clear back to my account, I still have not heard from any staff or manger to apologise for this inconvenience, normally I wouldn't mind, but at christmas time is a different story. Will not be staying here again or recommend for anyone else to unless you don't mind them taking €600 for 1 nights stay.

Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank irishchickMelbourne
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, brilliant service, friendly staff, individual rooms! We stayed in 25 and friends 24..which was a dramatic room huge bed and a bath to die for. 25 was classier and a big bath but I loved both rooms. Food was great and generous portions...Great champagne cocktails! The only draw back was the room above must have wooden floors because we heard every step. And the walls a little thin. But saying that we mentioned it at reception and they said that they would have taken slippers to the room upstairs if we had said. We shall most definatly go again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We went to Velvets for our works Christmas party and there were14 of us. We went early evening and were sat in a corner of the restaurant. We notified them that I have Coeliacs disease (no gluten) and they said that it would not be a problem. We were shown to our table and we ordered drinks which came quickly. We asked them to delay the meal fro 20 minutes as our Director was running late. Which they did. When the starters came, the food was hot and all the starters were served at the same time. I selected a starter with no gluten in just to be on the safe side. When the main course arrived (traditional turkey dinner) I was concerned about the stuffing and sausage as they were usually made with gluten. However, I was assured that they were all gluten free. When I had the dessert, Madeira sponge trifle this was also confirmed as gluten free, The food was delicious at I felt at ease eating the meal as I did not want to stand out from the group. The food was well cooked and well presented. The extra effort that had gone into making my meal gluten free is exceptional and I will be returning to Velvets regularly. Thank you Velvets it really made a difference to me to have the food gluten free. How did I know if was gluten free, because I did not have raging stomach ache for hours after. No stomach pains, just a very contented Coeliac. EXCELLENT< THANK YOU

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business