“nice boutique hotel located on canal street”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My stay at velvet was excellent and enjoyable

I stayed in one of the penthouse suites at velvet and what i can say is it's got the wow factor and it was so modern and clean and went the extra mile with the extra touches like music system and large tv screen etc

i like the idea they bring up a welcome tray on arrival

shall be returning in the near future

Room Tip: all the rooms are nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Rossuk89
There are newer reviews for Velvet

Reviewed September 28, 2013

As I'm usually a solo traveller, I don't see much appeal in nice hotels - I usually go for the hotel chain, which will offer anonymous standards at reasonable prices. At the same time though I often look at hotel site Mr & Mrs Smith and daydream about staying in one of the wonderful boutique hotels, which are usually way out too pricey for my budget.
Velvet is the perfect compromise - in fact, it's no compromise. For the value offered, it's a bargain. I stayed in a King Room and was amazed when I stepped in. Not only had my bag, which I'd left at the reception after arriving early in the morning, been placed in my room, there was a king size bed, a settee, a huge, vintage mirror - and a rubber ducky waiting for me in the bathroom, which was very clean and modern. I was offered a welcome tray I checked in, containing tea (or coffee), some shortbread and biscuits and lemon.
The hotel is located by the canal - my room had canal view - and a bar and restaurant are attached. I didn't notice any noise during my entire stay and I thought the area was very safe, if not "central central" - as a single female traveller I want to feel safe. Piccadilly station is only a 5 minute walk away, the main shopping area (Arndale etc.) no more than 10.
If you fancy a weekend away with your girls for a shopping trip or a romantic stay - Velvet is perfect for both.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank daniqueues
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My husband & I stayed at Velvet for the first time last week 20th Sept. It was our first visit, but definitely won't be the last.

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the train station. Canal Street is very easy to find, we just followed maps on our smartphone, having not visited Manchester before. We arrived early afternoon, before check-in time so our room wasn't quite ready. But the staff were so lovely & welcoming & offered to take our bags to our room later, so we could go shopping without our luggage.

This was quite a special trip for us; my husband works away & we'd not seen eachother for months. So after looking on the website at all the different rooms and several emails flying back & forth, Velvet helped me pick the perfect room to make this special reunion a success. Honestly, they can't be more helpful & I'm extremeley grateful for all their emails & suggestions. It really helped me make it a special occasion!

We checked into our room on the 2nd floor, facing the canal. We were both speechless hahah! It was just amazing. Huge windows, exposed beams & original brick were complemented with a cool striped wall paper, luxurious bedding & contemporary furniture. The bed was enormous & very comfortable with a cosy duvet for snuggling & plenty of pillows for dreaming. The bathroom was beautiful. Again, an enormous double bath, cool lighting, clean crisp towels & bath robes, great toiletries & of course little rubber duckie :) There's a fully stocked mini bar fridge and a tuck box which is a fantastic idea for late night snacks. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate & a biscuit barrel were all complimentary. Proper milk too! We ordered room service, we bathed, we slept, we laughed...it was just perfect.

Later that evening we went out & enjoyed the city nightlife. Everything was within walking distance, we had a great time. By the time we got back to Velvet, Canal Street was buzzing & vibrant! We had a couple of cocktails then went back to the room. To my total surprise, the hotel offeres a 'turn-down' service! It was lovely; the radio was on, the lighting was low, our bed had been turned down and 2 little chocolates had been left on the pillow. How Cute!

I'd read online reviews which mentioned the noise of Canal Street keeping people awake at night. I'm a really light sleeper and never sleep well anywhere other than my own bed. But I'd had such a perfect time already that the noise from the street below didn't bother me at all. I didn't think it was as loud as people said and I actually found it quite comforting...listening to the people outside having a good time and enjoying themselves helped me drift off to sleep with a little smile on my face. I couldn't hear any loud music, just the laughter. At hometime people started heading away and there was nothing but peace after 3am. After all, Velvet is on Canal Street; one of the most popular areas of Manchester city centre. I wouldn't have booked to stay there if I wanted peace & tranquility. I enjoy city life!

Go book...you won't regret it. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: A £50 "pre authorisation" is added to your bill, just incase you use the mini bar or have...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Helen S
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here just one night and am actively planning to go back and stay longer. Each room is different, but furnished to a high standard with sumptuous touches. The bed was super comfy and I had a great nights sleep! The bathroom was clean, with a fabulous array of toiletries, super soft towels and a ducky =D the staff were really attentive and caring, which is rare, they made the stay easy and we're just fabulous! Can't recommend the hotel and it's staff enough!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Having just recenly stayed at Velvet hotel after reading good reviews I agree that this is a smart hotel. Our room was comfortable and clean with tea/coffee making facilities, mini bar, hairdryer, iron, robes, slippers, Ren products - everything that we could possibly need. The staff at reception, breakfast, restaurant and bar were vey friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and reasonably priced and the cocktails smashing. I would certainly recommend this place and will be returning in the future!

Room Tip: We had the King Room Party package where we received a bottle of bubbly and could check out at 3pm a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I really wanted to love this place like the rest of the Tripadvisor community does but it fell a bit short for me. The room wasn't as clean as it should have been, the decor was a bit tired and the lighting was really gloomy. It was a bit noisy but that was more the air on than the bar below. Breakfast was also a bit of a bizarre experience. Not what I'd expect from the best hotel in Manchester.

On the plus side the location is great and the staff lovely it just felt a little tired. It probably was great 3 years ago but needs some work.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 128newcastle
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, fabulous staff who made our stay very pleasant. Upgraded to Penthouse room which made the experience all the more luxurious the furnishings and style of the room are amazing. Cocktails in the bar are a must! Thank you for making our stay perfect. Gorgeous hotel and fabulous staff X

• Stayed: September 2013