“A night of luxury!”

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed at Velvet in May 2012 and was thoroughly impressed from start to finish. Absolutely beautiful rooms all individually decorated in a boutique vibe. Tea and coffee facilities, a wonderfully stocked mini bar and a very comfortable bed. Staff stop at nothing to ensure your stay is the best it can be. Perfect location. Restaurant delicious. Just a fantastic stay. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SophieJM92
There are newer reviews for Velvet

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had a fantastic stay on Friday night. Fabulous room, very comfortable bed and full of lots of little extras making the stay extra special, Would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting an individual hotel in Manchester.

1  Thank Rachael B
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at Velvet Hotel and dined in their restaurant on 3rd April for my birthday. We were brought champagne on arrival. The staff are so polite, friendly and professional and nothing is too much for them. The attention to detail is fabulous. The room was roomy and lovely, very clean and modern. The restaurant and bar were lovely. I will be staying here again.

1  Thank Anne42103
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We rang the Velvet having arrived in Manchester and were given directions to the NCP car park two streets away. I was a bit concerned to leave my new car there overnight but was assured that this was fine and would be cheaper as they had a discount with this car park. This was true, and I paid 13.00 for 24 hrs which was fair.
We were still unsure of the exact location so asked a bus driver around the first corner where Velvet was - to which he replied loudly to his mate with a wry smile 'Oh, umm...where's the gay village again - it's down Canal St isn't it? except they took the 'C' off'!
Well, what could we say, my partner and I are not homophobic and have several close friends who are gay, but we were shocked to hear this, as the website gave no indication of this being a gay area! In retrospect, we were probably naive!
On our arrival in Canal St, we saw a sign that said 'Karaoke tonight with Fanny the Tranny' which raised a smile, and then Velvet itself, next door to the Queer club. Didn't know that word was still used! So, by now we knew what to expect but decided to go with the flow.
Reception was up a very sharp flight of stairs, but no hassle to someone fit, and the girl on reception was not amused when I told her what the bus driver had said, and she replied ' No, of course not, this is not a gay hotel anyway!' That was not what we were saying even! - a hotel is a hotel regardless of whether the guests are gay is it not?
I had specifically asked for a 'quiet' room or at least 'the quietest you can give us' as we are light sleepers - with a view of the canal - but on seeing the street, the clubs, bars, tables and chairs etc, I said forget the view, can we have a room at the back'? So she moved us from 1st floor room 26 to 3rd floor 31, which, at the time we were pleased about.
Our room was not ready (it was 1.30) so we had to leave our luggage and go for some lunch, returning at three by which time our luggage was in our room waiting. We loved the room, a bit of the decor was too flamboyant for me but it had a nice feel to it, and was comfortable and clean. The only drawback being the lighting, there was so little of it, I couldn't see to do my make up in any of the mirrors (three). This room is seriously in need of light above the mirrors!!!
We had booked a table in Velvet restaurant, and it was good. Bar and restaurant staff were friendly,helpful and attentive - and more to the point, my sea bass with tomato rissotto was gorgeous.My partner's steak was a bit too well done, but he was happy to eat it..
By the time we finished our meal, it was only 9pm, and being such a cold night we returned to the room to change back into our jeans to go out or a drink. The blinds had been shut, the bed 'turned down' and little chocolates on the bed which was nice..
All good so far...
Returning at 11.45, and into bed as we were both shattered after a long drive and a long day. And that's where it all ended. We did not get to sleep until 6am. I rang reception three times, 1.15am, 2.30am, 4.15am. The first time the music was so loud, we were shocked awake. The night staff came to our room and just as he entered the music went down - this happened twice. The music eventually stopped, but the shouting, lauging, talking, banter etc etc went on til 6am. I have never, ever had such a terrible night anywhere, having travelled extensively - it was a nightmare.My last phone call at 4.15am, resulted in a reaction of -'I have been out on the street and I can't hear anything' and ' Is it my fault people talk on the way home'? - great customer service, considering this was supposed to be a quiet room at the BACK!!
In the morning at check out, I was told that I could speak to the manager, but he wasn't there and I would have to email him - but that they had asked other guests and no one else had heard anything..
Felt very annoyed and irritated, paying 165.00 for ONE sleepless night with dinner. We dragged our case to the lift, and another couple arrived at the reception desk behind us. As the lift door opened the last words I heard were 'kept us awake all night.....' enough said..
Great room, mostly friendly staff, nice atmosphere, no sleep. Party goers paradise - unfortunately that's not us!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here for my 30th birthday and from the moment we got there we were made to feel welcome with little touches that you wouldn't get offered in a normal hotel. We were brought a welcome tray with posh cookies withing the first 15 mins of being there and the rooms was turned down while we were out for dinner with further little 'gifts' left on our pillows.

The decor is so tastefully done and it really feels like you are somewhere special. Although I think the best little touch is the little rubber duck you get in the bathroom - how cute.

We will definitely be returning :-) Thanks to Velvet Hotel for making my 30th birthday!!

1  Thank rachel_1apr1983
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend booked a night at Velvet to celebrate our engagement. Normally my staff stay here so was looking forward to the luxury.
Checked in and was taken to the Penthouse. WOW fab room with mezzanine bedroom and lots of little extras fresh biscuits, fruit, robes, great toiletries, iPod doc etc...
Loved room located in the village with super friendly staff. Had a few drinks in bar downstairs very chic with good choice of cocktails.
Delicious breakfast in restaurant and loved fish tank in the stairs!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CazzieSlough_UK
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Velvet hotel, Manchester, a delight....opulent, hedonistic rooms with fantastic food and helpful, friendly staff.....perfect for a romantic evening (our wedding anniversary) and half-an-hour’s drive to Manchester Airport where I was flying from the next day…..well worth a return visit....and we will....!

Room Tip: Room 32, for a pool sized bath.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple