“Expect more from No' 1 tripadvisor choice hotel.”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

First of all if you want a room with bath you need ti ask because not all the rooms had bath.
We stayed in king room ( without balcony).
We received the room, it was very small bad ( not king) and there is no ANY view from the window because the window was high and you cannot see anything so we felled like in prison with 4 walls. I asked to change the room and they gave us a better one. So if you want a normal room, go to the first that they offering you and after that ask to change it.
The second room was ok, instead the fact that the pillow was not clean, and the bath not look like in all the pictures here!!! Its a standard bath like in all hotels.
I hope that this information will help you guys.

• Stayed: October 2012
VelvetHotel, Owner at Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to pass comment on your stay.
We are a 19 bedroom independent hotel and as such all our rooms are different. Most of our rooms actually have baths. Only three are shower only, one of those having a two-person shower, and another having a large wetroom.
You made a booking for a king room and requested a bath, which we were happy to fulfil. Please don’t say our rooms do not have kingsize beds in them, because it is simply not true.
The room allocated actually has windows across the whole width of the wall at head height. We were happy to move you to another room, which incidentally has the same bathroom. It is a matter of taste, not offering, that you regard the second room as better, or ‘normal’ as you put it.
It seems that you particularly desired a roll top bath. We do have a number throughout the hotel but unfortunately all those rooms were occupied.
In the unlikely event that a pillow is found not to be clean, I would always ask guests bring it to our attention.
Incidentally I would like to point out to future guests that irrespective of the size of the window, all our rooms are non-smoking.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Had one on my own to go to a trade show at the GMEX, from the get go, the staff were so friendly and attentive! The room was WOW! And as I say it was in a perfect location, within walking distance of all major locations! The staff on the bar were so great, and very welcoming! The restaurant meal was amazing, and the waiter, Stuart, was very helpful and friendly! Will definitely be staying again!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I booked a Penthouse suite at the Velvet for our wedding anniversary, and we were not disappointed. The guys leave nothing to chance and their attention to detail meant we had an exceptional stay. On arrival we were shown up to our room and everything was explained in full. We were then served a complimentary coffee and vouchers for cocktails in the bar to help celebrate our special day.

The room had loads of little niceties - a biscuit jar, fresh fruit, fresh milk, sweets - and the facilities were excellent with open bath, docking station, TV in both rooms and the view from the window was stunning. Whilst we were out the bed was turned down, room set and extras replenished.

Overall, it was refreshing to stay in a hotel where people were prepared to go the extra mile to make you, as a customer, feel special. Too rare in this day and age, and if you are looking to treat yourself then The Velvet is just the place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,
Thank you for choosing to spend your special occasion with us and for your lovely comments.
We like to think that all the little extras help to enhance the comfort of your stay.
I’m glad you felt well looked after by our reception team, that is what they are there for and delight in doing. They are always keen to help with advice and arrangements.

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Room was extremely comfortable.... Biscuits and fine selection of teas with teapot most welcome. Staff helpful. Quirky design touches. Only downside was the noise at night... Music from bars nearby literally made the floor move (we were on the 3rd floor, carousing in the street and tv and other joyful noises from adjacent rooms easily heard.

1  Thank linbinpin
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Well, what can I say? The Velvet was a huge disappointment... Only as we had to leave after a fantastic 2 night stay! I mean, you think they'd let us stay forever, right?! Being treated like kings then having to go back to reality is not fair, NOT FAIR I say!

Honestly, the hotel, the room, the staff and the restaurant were an absolute treat. I've never been so impressed by a hotel since staying in a suite at the Atlantis in Dubai - it's just that good!

I won't harp on about the small details, but I cannot fault it at all - and will most certainly be back in the near future... Maybe to move in!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights last week. First morning no breakfast was served due to the kitchen being flooded and no alternative was given in return even though it was paid for. The bed sheets and pillows looked clean at first but after further inspection some sheets had black, fungus marks on them. Not all bad news though, the night manager Mohammed was extremely helpful and made our stay a bit more enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Muzi B

Dear Guest,
We are sorry you missed out on breakfast one morning. We had a major problem that affected power to all areas except the hotel and things were a little chaotic here. In amongst the chaos we may have neglected to remedy this situation for you. I would like to ask you to contact us directly so we can resolve this for you.
Secondly I am horrified that you think you may have had dirty sheets. Our linen is supplied from a very large national laundry company with deliveries three times a week. Linen is industrially cleaned and steam pressed and is checked by us before being put onto the beds. I would hope, therefore, it would be impossible for fungus to be on any of our linen. Indeed I would expect it to be brought to our attention because it is something I also would be shocked to find.
I am glad Mohammed looked after you and have passed your comments on to him.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Most of the hotel rooms are now from the large hotel chains with little taste and atmosphere.

There are a few small hotels who have taste, personality and good atmosphere. One of them is the Velvet. Service is excellent, rooms are extremely pleasant too state and have an extraordinary taste.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thanks for those comments.
I’m so glad that you get what we are all about. I always describe us as being a small hotel with a big personality.
Being independent and having built up the business from the restaurant and bar first, we find that guests often say that the atmosphere in these areas really enhances their stay.
In this day and age I’m glad you appreciate the efforts of an independent operator.