“Simply the Best!!!”

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I can not rate the Velvet enough which is why I never stay in any other hotel in the North West and beyond, if I can help it and to date I have. The staff are wonderful and the care for detail goes beyond the exta mile. I would like to thank Mark for my introduction to the wonderful cocktails at the Velvet Bar. Loved the new Restaurant makeover...Ab Fab. There is always a sense of pleasant calm in this place which I love.

Room Tip: The Balcony King Rooms are wonderful!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LCAF
There are newer reviews for Velvet

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Top class small boutique hotel on Canal Street. Very helpful staff, great rooms, great location etc. It just has all the small extras which makes it a notch above the rest.

Might not be your cup of tea if you dont want any noise, but for a young couple it is perfect. Serve great food too.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank turgoose
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The location of this hotel is great if you want a night out on canal street and is walking distance to all other areas in the city. The staff were pleasant and helpful. We booked one of the suites. The room was quirky and spacious but the decor felt a little seedy. This is the overall impression the hotel left me with. I don't think this is a particularly upmarket hotel but I guess it's fun. We had a good time but wouldn't stay again, we prefer The Lowry.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dnanicetravels
VelvetHotel, Owner at Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Dear Guest,
I'm glad the time you spent with us you enjoyed.
But we have never been called seedy in the 3 years we have been open!
Quirky, individual, cheeky in style and design, yes, but seedy, no, and I wouldn't want other guests to get that impression. At most some have thought some, but by no means all, decorations a little risque. I guess we won't appeal to all and some like a more conservative, generic hotel environment and that is fine.
But if potential guests want an independent hotel with character, give us a try.
Kind regards
Mark Cain

Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stayed at Velvet for work twice and both times loved it. The rooms are very comfortable and have the 'wow' factor upon being shown in. Beautifully and cleverly decorated. Is each one different - two out of two says yes. Friendly, welcoming and efficient staff. Great location and a well stocked mini bar! Looking froward to work taking me northwards again soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank grimbo22
Reviewed January 30, 2012

friendly reception, nice room (if a little dark) excellent bathroom with a bath the size of a swimming pool. Nice touches like the welcome tray with biscuits and fresh milk. The location is fantastic, only 2mins from Picadilly. Breakfast was good, I liked the vegetarian sausage option, which you dont see often. Room service was prompt and a nice varied menu, at reasonable prices. The only downside during my stay was the noise from the floor above. The walls were thick, but between floors was only floorboards so I could hear the guy above pacing around until 2am, and doing plenty of other things besides. As a result I hardly slept the 2 nights I was there. They really need to address this problem.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank wineguru_12
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Can't add much to the other comments. Superb boutique hotel with great staff.
Got great deal on midweek, which blew away any others.
Will return.

Room Tip: You may want to stay on the back of the hotel at weekends
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank valanda
Reviewed January 28, 2012

We stayed at Velvet for 4 nights and liked the hotel very much.

Room #31 was roomy with nice skylight windows. The bathroom was huge compared to the most of the hotels I've stayed at. The complementary coffee and tea tray with fresh milk and biscuits was a nice touch.

While we were staying at the hotel, the restaurant was being refurbished so we had breakfast brought to our room every morning. The English and continental breakfast options were ok, as was the quality of food.

We loved the central location of the hotel, only a few minutes walk to Piccadilly train station and the city centre only a few blocks away.

The best part of our stay was the friendly and knowledgeable staff who were always happy to help. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple