“St Petersburg”

St Petersburg Russian Restaurant
Cuisines: Russian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“St Petersburg”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Enjoyed our first two trips here, good food, good service. However, the third time we went using a coupon as usual, vegetables and chips/potatoes had suddenly become a side-dish and we were charged extra for these. So the main course now includes the meat only!!! Think we will be passing up in future.

• Visited March 2013

Lancashire Lass
“good winter food”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I went at lunchtime with my husband on a woucher deal and we enjoyed a glass of wine each. There were no restrictions on the menu and the food was very good although you tended to get large portions. We would go back but more towards Autumn or Winter.

Visited June 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“I loved it until I saw the bill...”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My partner and I came to this restaurant last week armed with our groupon voucher, which was for a 3 course meal each.

We came to the restaurant earlier than they were expecting us (we were the first people there!) and they seated us without fuss and with a smile. The service we received was fantastic...which I'm very glad to be able to say considering the whole time we were there, only 1 more couple walked through the doors. My fiance and one of the waiters had a very lively discussion about the tennis, the lady behind the bar was very helpful telling me about the beers. Our food was served promptly, with just the right amount of time between courses.

The only thing I didn't like about the decor was the gold disco ball that hangs in the middle of the ceiling. The restaurant very much has a Russian homely feel, which I loved. They use nice, heavy cutlery - something many restaurants don't see the point of doing nowadays, but which I've always felt is a very nice touch.

The food itself was very tasty. I had the blinis with caviar and smoked salmon to start. I felt the portion was small, but as it's a starter, I could let this go. The portion size of the main made up for it. I had fishcakes and asked for chips rather than rice. The chips were home cut and cooked chips - VERY unusual for a restaurant nowadays and a very welcome surprise, although they could have done with a few more minutes cooking. The fishcakes themselves were quite unusual. They tasted quite fatty - something I've never experienced in a fishcake, but I'm not very familiar with Russian cuisine, so I suppose this could be authentic. My fiance had a very very tasty stroganoff - we swapped plates half way through as I had a serious case of food envy. The 'tort' we had for dessert was a bit average, but you can't have everything I suppose. I do think they need to branch out their dessert offering a bit: yet more pancakes, ice cream, or a random cake isn't very much of a choice.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of negatives, the first of which is very minor - the chairs are in need of replacement, or at least a bit of TLC. They feel extremely lumpy on the backside, which isn't pleasent.

Now we come to my main issue - the price. Apparently, a main course is only the meat - my fishcake main didn't include the chips and my partner's stroganoff didn't include the rice. But we weren't told this at the point of ordering - it was just added to the bill at the end. On top of this, thinking that we'd kept costs low by booking with a Groupon voucher, we didn't look at the prices of the beers we ordered (yes, this is mainly our own fault I suppose) and looking at the bill, it turns out that my partner's beer cost £7 alone. It was a nice beer, but certainly not worth that much. We ended up paying more for the 2 unexpected sides and 2 vastly overpriced beers than we paid for our Groupon voucher. That fact alone has left a bad taste in my mouth...

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank JodiLeighLeigh
“If your thinking of buying this groupon... DON'T!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I booked this with a groupon last year for my partners birthday, thought something different whilst we were in Manchester for the weekend as the picture of the food on groupon looked nice. (I took pictures and believe me it didn't look like it did on groupon)

From the moment we got there I wish we had decided to go down stairs to the spar shop below which shared the entrance and bought a sandwich instead.

Staff were so rude, (we arrived slightly late) thought we were not going to be able to get a table as we were not there pronto. However many tables empty and they made us stand and wait while the male and female owner spoke to each other whilst looking at us, this was very awkward and made us feel very unwelcome.The staff put us on a table next to the kitchen door eventually, when a waiter went into the kitchen I noticed a pair of high heels on the floor in the kitchen with tights sat on top? Random! They must of sampled some of the food and disintegrated.

I wanted us to leave as I didn't like the staff or the grubby restaurant but my partner said we have already paid with a groupon and to try it so that's what we did.

Starters came and they were both awful and cold, 1 was like stale garlic soreen which was capable of breaking glass with some awful tasting red stuff on, and the other looked like my cat brought it back up. I ate as much as you can see from the photo. See photos. Waiter came and was confused at the fact we didn't enjoy it. This again made us feel uncomfortable.

For the main, I had steak thinking it was going to be like the photo on groupon, looked nothing like that, again I left lots and my partner had the orange dish, and he left what you see in the photo. I had to go to the toilet before the waiter came to collect the leftovers.

Desserts... Pancakes, boring and bland best thing about it was the squirty cream.

Drinks overpriced and not value for money, red wine tasted like vinegar and were told if we stayed past 7pm we would have to pay £5 each for the entertainment, please check this entertainment out on YouTube! They would of had to pay us £5 each to endure it!!!

I'm sure the reviews on their website are false and made up by themselves as I left a review but it wasn't posted and I'm sure not everyone could of been that happy after our experience and reading other people's reviews on here!

Absolutely disgusting and unforgettable
AVOID PEOPLE!!

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank Shakey2
Sergei K, Owner at St Petersburg Russian Restaurant, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Interesting review. The question only why 91% our customers from Groupon really satisfied and will recommend us ( see the photo of our back office on Groupon ) to they friends and why we have lots of returns to the same Duke Stroganoff menu even if we have 2 for 1 offer from our Tsars A'La Carte menu from which came the picture of Rasputin in Flame steak ? Also why it takes so long to wright the review ?
“Really good restaurant”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Greeted with waiter asking if I was Karen and seated politely near the window. He explained the Groupon deal and was very polite and friendly Loved the food service excellent and music and atmosphere good
Only couple criticisms toilets need smartening up and some seats needed re upholstery. O had a very springy one . May help with the Russian Vodka swaying!

• Visited May 2013