“Eat before you go!”

Cuisines: Russian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I read the reviews about this place, but still bought the Groupon voucher and went with an open mind. Sometimes there's no pleasing some folk and I can always see the best in things....

Anyhow, took husband and 2 hungry teenagers that could eat a scabby horse, and I have never knowingly ever left anything on my plate apart from the pattern- usually!

I can honestly say this has been the worst meal of my entire life - I can only think that the people who have rated this above 1 star had no taste buds, were drunk (no offence!) or have shares in the place.

BLAND, BLAND, BLAND. I could not tell what I was eating as nothing had any taste OR texture. I started with chicken (if you say so) blini that left an aftertaste of grease, and then minced beef and rice wrapped in cabbage leaves. Well: - the filling had the texture of mashed potato and had a taste that could have been dog food, as it wasn't any minced beef like I'd ever known. The cabbage (I swear to god) seem to dissolve like a thin ravioli would after being boiled for too long. Others in my group had the lamb rissoles - and my son said 'what meat was this again....?'

My favourite course always, is the pudding course. Pancakes, ice cream or dish of the day- we had each of them- but apart from the ice cream, the rest was left. The 'dish du jour' I had, tasted (yes really!) of apples, but I couldn't tell u what it was...as, with everything else, it was just stodge.

Flat cokes and definitely NOT the DIET cokes we'd asked for. I'd like to say the service made up for it ... Well I'd like to say that, but can't. 'Personality by-pass' says it all.

Looking around, I've never seen such miserable clientele, probably wanting it to be over! I'm sorry to write something like this, but don't want anyone to suffer as we did, and I'm also miffed that we came home and had cheese on toast for supper!

Even If you are ever offered FREE dinners there - its too much to pay!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Needed a restaurant near to the Palace Theatre and don't eat often in Manchester so clicked on a link off the Palace theatre site. Didn't find anything exciting or different for a Christmas treat on there and looked at places near by on Google map.
Read reviews on here for The St Petersburg and all seemed good, so went along on the night. Went early evening on a Saturday and not that busy, about 5 others eating.

Party of two, we choose from the early evening menu. The early menu consisted of 2 courses for £13 either a starter and mains or mains and dessert. We chose starters and mains.

Starters of Bosch and, Crab pancakes then, mains of Stroganoff, and Lamb rissoles. Both came with a small salad garnish, sour cream and a choice of rice, potatoes or mash we choose rice. Didn't try the desserts but the ones I saw looked lovely. All dishes were really well presented the waiter had a theatrical flourish when delivering the dishes to our table.

We where served quickly and all food was hot and tasty. £40 for four dishes and 3 glasses of wine. I would come back again to try different items and from the all a carte menu.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked a table for 4 recently using groupon vouchers and having read the varied reviews on trip advisor we went with an open mind.We went on a Friday evening shortly after 8pm and the restaurant was fairly busy with a good welcoming atmosphere.The staff were friendly but we had to produce our vouchers before we were seated and it soon became clear that those with groupon vouchers were seated together in one section of the restaurant im guessing away from those without! Still the "groupon" only menu was varied enough and the food served quickly and was hot and tasty with ample portions.
Bit of a strange moment when two of our party were instructed by a passing waiter how to eat from their bowl of goulash (twice) but hey ho when in Rome etc.
We paid £5 a head for the after 8pm entertainment (because we had vouchers) but didnt mind so much as after all it was a night out without kids.Interesting but enthusiastic entertainers which added to the unusual dining nexperience.
Would I return? Yes Maybe Probably.Nothing at all wrong with the food or the staff just felt that I had a groupon voucher and didn't I know it !

1  Thank Seanus191
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We've been to St Petersburg three times now. The food has always been good and the service has been pleasant. It isn't a high end restaurant, but it is a nice change. The old fashioned decor is very Russian, and we once had some live entertainment, which added to the atmosphere. I would recommend this as a nice place to go. Having lived in Poland for a while, I can safely say that their selection of vodka is good. You need to be a little proactive in getting the server's attention, but once that is managed, its all good from there.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I booked this table from a groupon voucher and 8 of went. We were not sure what to expect when we arrive, we got a frosty reception when we arrived, we had phoned 2 days before to change the time of the meal, it was very hard to get through via phone, saying this restaurant was supposed to have a reputaion for being the best vodka bar we were not sold on this and had to ask a few times, waiters need more training on how to sell the vodka. I enjoyed my meal the others had the blini not sure if it should have been cold but after checking it should be either served cold or warm they were not given the option. My only main critic was the fact that as we were eating the starter and main course the waiter and waitress started taking our plates while we were still eating and one even leaned over me to get a plate but when the sweet came we sat for over 5 minutes with our empty plates to no on came for them

1  Thank katharine d