“pre theatre meal-Not on a Group-on BTW”

St Petersburg Russian Restaurant
Cuisines: Russian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“pre theatre meal-Not on a Group-on BTW”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Needed a restaurant near to the Palace Theatre and don't eat often in Manchester so clicked on a link off the Palace theatre site. Didn't find anything exciting or different for a Christmas treat on there and looked at places near by on Google map.
Read reviews on here for The St Petersburg and all seemed good, so went along on the night. Went early evening on a Saturday and not that busy, about 5 others eating.

Party of two, we choose from the early evening menu. The early menu consisted of 2 courses for £13 either a starter and mains or mains and dessert. We chose starters and mains.

Starters of Bosch and, Crab pancakes then, mains of Stroganoff, and Lamb rissoles. Both came with a small salad garnish, sour cream and a choice of rice, potatoes or mash we choose rice. Didn't try the desserts but the ones I saw looked lovely. All dishes were really well presented the waiter had a theatrical flourish when delivering the dishes to our table.

We where served quickly and all food was hot and tasty. £40 for four dishes and 3 glasses of wine. I would come back again to try different items and from the all a carte menu.

• Visited December 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked a table for 4 recently using groupon vouchers and having read the varied reviews on trip advisor we went with an open mind.We went on a Friday evening shortly after 8pm and the restaurant was fairly busy with a good welcoming atmosphere.The staff were friendly but we had to produce our vouchers before we were seated and it soon became clear that those with groupon vouchers were seated together in one section of the restaurant im guessing away from those without! Still the "groupon" only menu was varied enough and the food served quickly and was hot and tasty with ample portions.
Bit of a strange moment when two of our party were instructed by a passing waiter how to eat from their bowl of goulash (twice) but hey ho when in Rome etc.
We paid £5 a head for the after 8pm entertainment (because we had vouchers) but didnt mind so much as after all it was a night out without kids.Interesting but enthusiastic entertainers which added to the unusual dining nexperience.
Would I return? Yes Maybe Probably.Nothing at all wrong with the food or the staff just felt that I had a groupon voucher and didn't I know it !

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Seanus191
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We've been to St Petersburg three times now. The food has always been good and the service has been pleasant. It isn't a high end restaurant, but it is a nice change. The old fashioned decor is very Russian, and we once had some live entertainment, which added to the atmosphere. I would recommend this as a nice place to go. Having lived in Poland for a while, I can safely say that their selection of vodka is good. You need to be a little proactive in getting the server's attention, but once that is managed, its all good from there.

• Visited August 2012
Wigan, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“so so !”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I booked this table from a groupon voucher and 8 of went. We were not sure what to expect when we arrive, we got a frosty reception when we arrived, we had phoned 2 days before to change the time of the meal, it was very hard to get through via phone, saying this restaurant was supposed to have a reputaion for being the best vodka bar we were not sold on this and had to ask a few times, waiters need more training on how to sell the vodka. I enjoyed my meal the others had the blini not sure if it should have been cold but after checking it should be either served cold or warm they were not given the option. My only main critic was the fact that as we were eating the starter and main course the waiter and waitress started taking our plates while we were still eating and one even leaned over me to get a plate but when the sweet came we sat for over 5 minutes with our empty plates to no on came for them

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank katharine d
England
“Enjoyable meal”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Went here on a Groupon and had an enjoyable meal. Food was lovely, staff attentive, good value on the deal, it sure how it is priced normally. Venue is a little old fashioned but I thought it added to the Russian theme.