“Cocktails are a must!”
Review of Room - CLOSED

Room
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Manchester Piccadilly train station is 8 minutes walk
Description: Room is a modern, unique restaurant and cocktail bar located on King Street in the centre of Manchester's commercial and shopping district. An eclectic mix of antique and retro makes this a stunning place to enjoy a private dining experience and we also offer cocktails until late.Our award winning restaurant can cater for up to 120 diners, whilst our bar can cater for up to 80. Room is absolutely perfect for a business lunch, a shopper's retreat or simply somewhere to drop in for a coffee. By night, the restaurant comes alive with the kind of brasserie atmosphere that you would expect within any cosmopolitan city and Room in Manchester is no exception. Enjoy dinner for two in a quiet corner or take a window seat and enjoy your Room with a view.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cocktails are a must!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have both dined & ate here on several occasions, its an amazing setting with HUGE lamp shades!! Cocktails are a must here, wether its pre-meal drinking or after work happy hour!! The food sometimes is hit & miss & unfortunately isn't for everyone, but my I haven't had a bad meal here myself.

Visited June 2013

Bolton, United Kingdom
“Friend's Birthday”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked ' Room' to celebrate my lovely friend's special birthday. I had asked for a quiet table and we were treated to the best spot in the house overlooking the street. The service was great, my friend was pampered with a Kir Royale to start and her sweet was embellished with a birthday message. Our food was wonderful. Top marks Room!

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Girls doing lunch!!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Found this restaurant on the Internet with not living in this area we didn't know where to go to eat so decided to try here!! There was 5 of us dining we had a lovely table in the window very nice,we had set menu which we had a glass of wine with!! Service was excellent and nothin wasn't to much trouble, food was 5**we all enjoyed it we would return again.

1 Thank Rachel K
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I was there with family in group of 9, the staffs are very attentive. The food selection for everything is good but wish to see more selections of main course. Chocolate brownie ice cream is really nice, one of the best ice cream i ever had. There will be special price for 2 courses at 15 and 3 courses at 19, it's quite value for money. We may go back there again in weekend. Recommend to book in advance.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Incredibly loud music ruined dining experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My friend and I were on a short visit to Manchester, mainly as a theatre trip but, being keen foodies, we also wanted to take in a couple of good eateries. Room was recommended by an acquaintance and certainly the website promised great things. We arrived with high hopes - the building is fantastic - but the smell as we climbed the stairs to the dining room was appalling and, although it could be attributed to bad drains, it was reminiscent of the resultant aroma in a nightclub where too many people have been drinking too much gassy lager. Sure enough, we had to pass through Room's bar area to get to the restaurant and it was already quite busy and extremely noisy with the resident DJ happily manning his decks in an alcove. The bar is only divided from the restaurant by a vast glass panel so in effect everything is in the one 'Room'. We lip read as a member of the waiting on staff directed us to our table which, although at the far end of the restaurant, was no less noisy, but after ten minutes of shouting at one another and realising that it was no way to conduct a conversation on what was supposed to be a special evening out we decided to leave and take stock of the situation. On the premise of returning to the hotel for a forgotten something we made our escape and took refuge In the quiet of the street and after a rational discussion, (with no need to shout), we decided to return and just grin and bear it - after all the menu did look tasty and most of the other restaurants in the vicinity appeared to be Italian and we were eating Italian the next day. I would describe the portions as rather meagre, even for a restaurant of this genre, and certainly not good value for money. I had prawn and crab cocktail as a starter at £8.25 - Three king prawns in tempura batter (delicious), quenelles of spiced (rather salty) crab meat and guacamole, which was barely discernible and served only as a dot of garnish on the plate. I do think the fact that the prawns are battered should be mentioned in the description. Outrageously over-priced. My friend chose Moroccan quail at the same price and served with quinoa, black pudding, apricots & pistachios, Sounds a lot, but miniscule! My North African Spiced Lamb with smoked aubergine, feta cheese, tabbouleh (£19.50) seemed full of Eastern promise when the waiter approached the table with a huge earthenware tagine but when he removed the lid, my heart sank. Okay, the flavours were good but the whole thing was a bit dry and the portion was laughable. My friend had sea bass from the specials (£15.00) with saffron potatoes and a mix of mushrooms/bacon which she enjoyed. With plenty of room for pud, we chose to share a platter of desserts for two at £13.00 and although the selection was not as wide as the waitress had led us to believe it was still the best value by far of everything that night - toasted marshmallow, yummy custard tart, chocolate tart and a selection of ice-creams presented on a two-tier cake stand. We chose a bottle of Pinot Grigio which was reasonably priced and I had an espresso. One thing I would ask diners to watch out for is the indiscriminate policy of adding 10% service charge to the bill. Our bill was for £86 with 10% added making a total to pay of £94.60 but on closer inspection I noticed in VERY small print at the bottom that it stated that 10% service charge is only compulsory for tables of 8+. When I queried this with the waitress she said that they always add it on but that we didn't have to pay it! Why add it on then? She had the bill amended and, although this niggled a bit and my companion was all for not leaving a tip on principle, we did leave something in the end because the service had been good. By the way, we checked and apparently they turn the music up on Friday and Saturday evenings so if you're planning a visit and are looking for an intimate venue where you can chat to your companions, don't book a table at Room at the weekend!

• Visited July 2013