“Good food, oppressively loud venue”

The Northern Quarter Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #53 of 2,344 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Shudehill Tram and Bus, Picadilly Gardens, Picadilly Train Station
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Booked a table for two in here at 9pm on a saturday night, and we expected it to be busy - which it was. We also expected it to be a little noisy, however the din is such that even after moving our chairs next to each other rather than opposite, any kind of conversation had to be shouted.

We ordered house red wine and it was not good. My advice - pay an extra £4 for the next bottle up.

The food was very good - the scallops were very slightly overdone, but not devastatingly so, and went well with the black pudding and apple sauce. The beef carpaccio was the outstanding dish - possibly the best i have had in the UK. That said, i think this place is a tad overpriced at £11 for 4 medium-sized scallops, and £18 for a bottle of house red that was quite awful.

All in all, decent food, but definitely a no-no if you want an intimate meal for two or a relaxing meal and conversation with friends. I probably would go here again, but probably during the daytime when it is less loud.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This restaurant is well located in the northern quarter, we were welcomed by an extremely pleasant host who did have our dining experience as his focus & the food was good but sadly there were a few bits that prevented it from scoring more highly. We asked to have the bread served as a starter, it came before them; the lamb was tasty but slightly colder than it should be & the accompanying side potatoes didn't arrive for quite some time. To finish on an high note the sticky toffee pudding desert was brilliant.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I usually end up eating in one of the chains on my frequent visits to Manchester. This time I did some preliminary research and booked a table for two on Sat night. We actually turned up an hour early as we'd finished our business. The waitress greeted us warmly and soon had us seated with menus, both a la carte And specials. We chose the two courses for £13.95 from the specials menu. Also ordered two large glasses of a South African Chenin blanc from the well thought out wine list. I ate tempura vegetables with a chilli and lime dressing, followed by a veggie burger with real chips and beetroot and red cabbage slaw. All excellent and tasty. The wine was really good. service friendly and attentive. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Bellini6
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Four of us went for a meal here on Saturday night. The menu was interesting and varied enough without being overwhelming with an emphasis on local produce. We weren't told about any specials so assumed there weren't any!
Service was attentive and friendly and we didn't feel rushed. The food was very good. I had lamb and salted caramel chocolate cheesecake which were delicious although some potato of some kind included with the lamb would have been good - some dishes included them some didn't.
The atmosphere was quite loud and lively but not too much so we couldn't enjoy a conversation. I just wondered whether this type of ambiance went with the type of food on offer. For example, maybe this place would be more ideal for Sunday lunch when I assume they don't have lively music playing. Some cool relaxed music would have been better. I also thought it was a little expensive and have had equal quality meals elsewhere for a better price.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

After some lovely vegetarian meals at this restaurant I was keen to go back and takes my friends, who called ahead to infom that we have a vegan guest. Unfortunatley the meals we had were disappointing, and I was unlikely to go again or recommend to friends.

However, after feedback was given from our friend the manager was very apologetic, took on board our experience and offered a complimentary meal on our next visit. We were so pleased to see a new fully vegetarian and vegan menu had been created, and our meals were absolutely divine, including the dessert!!!! It even convinced my partner and I that with options like this it's time we give veganism a go, and we'll definately be back here again and receommend it to all food-lovers!

Beautiful food, great customer-service and and all-round fab eating experience. Thank you to Jess and the TNQ Restaurant team!