“Excellent well catered-for accomodation”

The Light ApartHotel
Lincolnshire
“Excellent well catered-for accomodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

Just got back from staying in a two bed apartment at The Light and was suprised to read negative reviews. We had an apartment on the 14 floor, welcome pack in fridge with a bottle of red and bottle of white wine. Bathroom even had mini toiletries which was not expected as we booked through a moneysaving website recommendation. We had good views across to the Eye from our balcony and really enjoyed our stay. Front of house manager was very good and the girls on reception were friendly and helpful. Our experience was very positive and we would most definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cumbria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2010

We arrived at the apartments on the hottest day of the year so far and walked into what felt like a tiny sauna. Unfortunately one of the two windows in the apartment was broken so we tried to ring down to complain. This was difficult when we found that the phone was also broken. We also asked about our welcome hamper which was supposed to be included in the price and was told that it would be delivered later. We moved to another apartment which had two working windows but a toilet that still had urine on the seat. Seeing as this apartment didn't have a phone at all we gave up and didn't say anything. Unfortunately we never did get the welcome hamper!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dingle, Co. Kerry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

The Light ApartHotel in Manchester. Actual address is Joiner Street (a lane). Would that have helped me to find it? No way! Church Street address was difficult enough. Got bright 2-bed apt on 12th floor (no.78). I loved the view, the balcony, the large picture window. The second bedroom was not large and there was a pillar in the main room just beside the dining-table. It meant that dining there was a bit of a squash! But wife wouldn’t have such a high-up address. We moved to two studios (no extra charge) on 1st floor just over reception. Two pokey windows looking out on Ridelow shop across the road and no balconies!

We had to wash the cutlery and crockery before use. The bed in the studios seemed larger than apt.78 (was it 6’?). The mattresses were set in a low-down cradle; it seemed odd climbing out of a bed which was so close to the floor. The electric towel rail in the bathroom was ON all the time and it produced unwanted heat. The cooker in Studio 5 beeped when something was placed on top of hob and I thought it was the fridge. Turned off the fridge in order to put paid to the beep and the frozen ice in freezer box melted! Water accumulated underneath…

All paintwork in apt. was white, the tiles/mosaic in bathroom were interesting. The shower worked well and the Elsyl toiletries with ginseng were fine. The bath towels were very large and unwieldy when being used.

There was no cafetiere in Studio 5 so I returned to apt.78 (with connivance of staff) and borrowed theirs!

The kicker board under the kitchen cabinets in Studio 5 fell out – it appeared to have not been fixed properly. The window catch had snapped but I wasn’t planning on opening the window on account of nearness to road. Rooms are tidied every 3 days only so we, in fact, were not to get any change of bed-linen during our 4 night stay.

The car was parked in the basement @ £10 per day.

Access to the studios is by staircase only.

The staff were exceedingly friendly. Will they remember to forward me my Sony Ericsson mobile charger which I left behind???

They gave us a discount card for BULB (adjoining Italian eatery) and we availed of this. The food there was fine and not expensive.

When I requested a viaMichelin web print-out of road-route from Manchester to Holyhead my request was granted immediately. Armed with this we set off for home on 16th May!!! Crossing to Dublin was magic.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

Well located place but poorly managed, with poor attention to detail. Staff are friendly, but the little things are annoying; we catered for ourselves - the kitchen is poorly and meagerly equipped - are plates that expensive ? No plug in sink - despite asking, one never appeared...we asked for extra hair dryer, - extra coat hangers turned up! No rinse-aid/salt for dishwasher. Shower tray was blocked and not draining - this was fixed but the person who came in to do it while we were out thoughtfully stubbed a fag out on our balcony and left the dog-end on the floor - kind of them. this is 'five star' - by whose rating system?

Isle of Man
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

I stayed here with my teenage daughter for a concert and shopping trip. The location of the light is fantastic. It is right in the centre of the town and only 10 minute walk from the MEN. I booked a 1 bed apartment but had to be moved because of a dreadful smell (drain venting problem). The staff were extremely helpful (especially a lovely Geordie chap!) and the Manager moved me to a 2 bed apartment to make up for the inconvenience. Facilities were great. Loads of room, clean and comfortable, with a fab view. Lifts are a bit of an issue (only 2 small lifts for 19 floors of apartments) and if you have an apartment on the higher floors walking up is not an option (believe me we tried!) . The hotel also has a fab Italian restaurant which did wonderful pasta (and if you stay in the hotel you qualify for a 20% discount). I didn't realise that you were suppose to receive a welcome hamper on arrival (just learnt this from reading the reviews he
All in all a fab place which I will definitely return to again!

Abingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

I stayed here with 4 other friends when we went to watch Dizzee Rascal and Lily Allen at the M.E.N Arena. It was located just around the corner and the accommodation was brilliant very high quality and cost us £30 each for the night. I would definitely stay here again. The only down side was the parking cost a small fortune

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

I stayed at the Light last week as i was booked in by a colleague. I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. It was really easy to find and has two NCP car parks next to it. I went the open air one first and panicked when I spotted the £25 overnight car park tariff. However I called the hotel and realised they had an arrangement with the covered car park of £7 overnight from 3pm to 11am the following morning. On entering the hotel I checked in without any problem and was given two keys. One is security access to the lift area of the property and the other for my two bed apartment on the 14 floor. The apartment was very spacious and clean offering two large double bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and lounge/dining arean. I also had a balcony which offerered great views across the city. I was lucky enough to have a clear sunny day so I could see for miles. The fully equipped kitchen was excellent with a nice hamper in the fridge offering bread,milk,orange juice, chocolate, yoghurts for your breakfast but enough to have and afternoon snack. A tesco express was a few doors along if you need more food or drink. I was able to relax and check my emails with free wifi, a cup of coffee and a great view. The property was a real find and I will stay again when I'm next in Manchester.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business