“Good stay”

The Light ApartHotel
Reviewed February 24, 2014

In middle of city centre in short distance from good locations large shopping centre, food restaraunts. Apartment was lovely definite would stay again overall happy customer, great for long weekends away with friends or as a couple

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Susanne,

Thank you very much for your review of our property. We are truly thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to The Light soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

A quick change of plans lead me to book the Apart Hotel which has a fantastic central location. Love the idea of being on the edge of the Northern Quater . Church Street may not be a high end destanation but the close proximity and I mean walking distance to everything. makes for a good choice. Check in was polite. Nice touch of a coffee with either muffins or biscuits which were on offer in reception. There are plenty of shops in the locality for to buy breakfast items etc. I stayed in a Studio for three nights. The room was perfectly clean and functional with a comfortable bed. Some reviews had complained of lack of heating but to be honest the room was lovely and warm. Overlooking the street there was some traffic noise in the mornings. It felt the studio ideal for one person. I would imagine for longer stays and for a couple a one bedrom apt would be better. There was a hob for cooking on (if you want), dishwasher, washing machine/ dryer with ironing board and iron . With self catering remember to perhaps bring your own washing / laundry products. To my suprise there was a small gym in the building which allows for the more energetic of clients to perhaps work out. The free Wi Fi was a bit sporadic but I could imagine anybody trying to work and looking for a longer connection would feel furstrated. I had a sleep in each morning and did not see room service. I though that the room might be checked and cleaned when out. After enquiring I was told that servicing takes place every four days. Overall I was very satisfied with my booking. Manchester is a great place for a break with an amazing heritage that is very often overlooked. The Light Apart Hotel is one of the options that I would definitley consider staying in on future vis its to the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Vincent C
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Vincent,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Light. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay in our Studio apartments and that you would consider using us again should another trip to Manchester be part of your plans.

For your information also, the WIFI is in the progress of being replaced and should be completed by April.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

On arrival at the light aparthotel my first impression was "Mmm this looks very nice, staff member was helpful and answered all my queries". The reception area looks immaculate and I thought I had booked some fabulous hotel !!

When we got to the room it was a little bit small with a nice bed and thick Egyptian cotton duvet. WI-FI is absolutely awful and if your paying a few quid for your stay and as I do work online a lot you will be utterly disappointed ( studio 1). Then to the telly, that didnt work initially, had to call reception to come and connect the power cable, sounds picky but should I really have to be doing that ?? Bathroom was lovely, again a bit poxy and pokey.

I came to have a shower in the morning and had about 3 minutes of hot water then it began to run absolutely freezing cold and didnt regain any heat after.

Like I said all looks the part, but from my experience it wasnt money well spent. I wouldnt of minded if it was cheap but it wasnt.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Light, I am pleased that the newly renovated reception area was to your liking and I am very sorry that the apartment you had did not meet your expectations. I have forwarded your comments to our maintenance team to investigate on the water issue.

We are currently in the process of replacing the whole WIFI system, to give guests a better experience and this should be rolled out by April.

For future bookings we have ten different apartment / penthouse suites available to suite all requirements and budgets, I would suggest booking direct so you are able to see the full availability of the property as I can see from your booking which was made through a specific mobile booking app and this particular site will only confirm a minimum requirement of an apartment which sleeps two guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

A group of us have stayed here several times now. We have always had a warm reception. The apartment is spacious, clean and ideally located for all bars, restaurants etc. The facilities are good and there is free wifi available. We would highly recommend it and will be back again.

There's a tesco metro next door, ideal for picking up nibbles and wine for getting ready for a night out in Manchester. The prices are good for a quality nights stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Holly,

We really appreciate you taking the time to post such a wonderful review.
We were so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Take Care

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Just back from a few days in Manchester, chose The Light for something different from the usual run-of-the-mill hotels, and can honestly say, we were not disappointed.

Nice atmosphere, friendly staff. The room (one of the 1 Bed Executive Suites) was nice & roomy, decent balcony, warm, quiet and just what we needed. (If I'm going to be picky, I'd mount the TV on the wall and use the coffee table as an actual coffee table). All facilities were good. Wine/Bottled Water left in the room, all usual fare of iron/ironing board, free WiFi (rare these days), hairdryer etc. Tesco Metro right next door for anything else.

Really central, easy to get to the shops & bars, Northern Quarter, Picadilly Station, Canal Street/Gay Village, Deansgate etc.

Would definitely return to The Light for my next trip.

Room Tip: Don't scrimp for a few quid, go for Executive to have a nicer trip. We were 8th floor, which w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank SiCoulson

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are so pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us. I will ensure that the maintenance team is aware of your comments regarding the coffee table; we are always striving to improve quality and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Chose to stay in Manchester for a weekend away and booked through another agent website for 2 nights, in a studio apartment in mid Jan 2014. When we arrived, we were welcomed and check in took around 5 minutes. We arrived quite late 9.30pm, so there car parking spaces were unavailable, but there is an outdoor carpark right next door to the hotel (£15 per 24 hours).

Studio was located on the ground floor, it was freezing when we got into the room, and the heater didn't work. After a bit of searching around we found a portable heater in the airing cupboard. The lady from reception did happily come to the room to try and make the heater work. She was very pleasant.We just used the portable heater that night and it was fine.

The next morning, after one of us showered, when it came to the second person showering the cold water had run out and the bathroom lights kept on tripping. We called reception who promptly sent a maintainance man over who tried to check it but said the electric were faulty, and the hot water ran out because there was only a small tank of water. We were not told that there is a limited amount of hot water. The maintainance man happily went back to reception and upgraded us to a dulux two bedroom apartment!!! Which we were more than happy with.

The two bed apartment was spacious, nicely decorated, warm and had everything we needed, plus amazing views from the 10th floor.

Although the website says there is free wi-fi in the rooms, the connection is very poor/barely there.

However as we were given a complimentary upgrade, it made up for all of the other hiccups we had on the first night of our stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HinaJadav

Dear Hina,

We appreciate your comments from your recent stay at The Light ApartHotel and I am pleased to hear that despite a few hiccups, our reception team were able to turn your stay around and provide you with an alternative apartment more to your liking.
All of your comments have been passed to our maintenance team to ensure that improvements can be made where required. We would love to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

My mother and I spent two nights here at the beginning of November 2013. She had booked through a separate booking agent a room that was advertised as a one bedroom apartment with wifi. It looked very promising (and wasn't overly cheap) so we were looking forward to it.
When we arrived, it transpired we weren't even in the main hotel, but next door. The room wasn't a 'one bedroom apartment' but rather a bedsit. The bed was one that folded down from the wall, the tiny sofa was pressed against it, the blinds across the window were broken, the kitchen and bathroom had that horrible brown plastic flooring that reminded me of the shared bathrooms I had in halls at university, there were exposed wires going into the walls, the extractor fans were broken, the metal seats were completely rusted....I could go on, but I hope you get the picture.
Immediately upon seeing the room, we called down to reception (on our mobiles, as there was no phone in the room). A young man came up and apologised, but said there was nothing he could do. We were surprised at the lack of customer service. He said that no one could help us and there were no other rooms available.
So we had to make do.
I then tried to get onto the wifi (which he website advertised as available) but couldn't. I called down to reception and had a rather surly voice telling me the wifi name. I tried again, but I could not see the network available. As politely as I could I enquirer again, to which I got the response of 'Oh, there's no wifi in that room', 'Oh...But we were under the impression that there would be...', 'Ok, thank you, if that's all...bye'.

Right.
The next day we, as politely as we could, requested that we be moved to a room that we had paid for and, to give them their dues, we were moved. I'm not going to say the room we got was that impressive, but it was better. At least the bed was a proper one and there was no bobbly plastic flooring.
On returning home, my mother had to jump through hoops to try and get our money back for he first night and she only succeeded when she went through the third party booking agent she had used. From what she told me, they were as surprised as we were that what was being offered wasn't what was being given.

I'm sure that others have far better experiences, depending on where you get a room, but because it's such a lottery as to what you might get, I'd advise you pick a more reliable aparthotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jessica A

Dear Jessica,
Thank you for providing your feedback on which was a very disappointing experience for you. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the lack of customer service that you feel you did not receive throughout your stay and to clarify a few points which you have raised.
As you have mentioned your mother had made your booking through a third party provider, who in turn had also used another third party provider to make your reservation at the hotel which is where the confusion arose. When the error was highlighted to the front desk, reception did all they could to allocate you another apartment which would have been more suitable but unfortunately we were fully booked on the night you arrived and were only able to provide this on your second night of your stay. As discussed with your mother, as she had paid a third party for the weekend stay, it did fall to her having to contact them for a refund to her account which did delay things slightly.
Some of the maintenance issues you mention, were discussed with your mother back in November when you stayed and were explained that they were not faults but how the apartment was designed.
As stated back in November when we trying to help with a resolution, we hope that this doesn't prevent you from returning sometime in the future, this was an unfortunate situation that arose and in no way is it a gamble with the accommodation you receive from us here at The Light.