“Looks can kill anybody.”

The Light ApartHotel
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Looks can kill anybody.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

On arrival at the light aparthotel my first impression was "Mmm this looks very nice, staff member was helpful and answered all my queries". The reception area looks immaculate and I thought I had booked some fabulous hotel !!

When we got to the room it was a little bit small with a nice bed and thick Egyptian cotton duvet. WI-FI is absolutely awful and if your paying a few quid for your stay and as I do work online a lot you will be utterly disappointed ( studio 1). Then to the telly, that didnt work initially, had to call reception to come and connect the power cable, sounds picky but should I really have to be doing that ?? Bathroom was lovely, again a bit poxy and pokey.

I came to have a shower in the morning and had about 3 minutes of hot water then it began to run absolutely freezing cold and didnt regain any heat after.

Like I said all looks the part, but from my experience it wasnt money well spent. I wouldnt of minded if it was cheap but it wasnt.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Light, I am pleased that the newly renovated reception area was to your liking and I am very sorry that the apartment you had did not meet your expectations. I have forwarded your comments to our maintenance team to investigate on the water issue.

We are currently in the process of replacing the whole WIFI system, to give guests a better experience and this should be rolled out by April.

For future bookings we have ten different apartment / penthouse suites available to suite all requirements and budgets, I would suggest booking direct so you are able to see the full availability of the property as I can see from your booking which was made through a specific mobile booking app and this particular site will only confirm a minimum requirement of an apartment which sleeps two guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Nantwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

A group of us have stayed here several times now. We have always had a warm reception. The apartment is spacious, clean and ideally located for all bars, restaurants etc. The facilities are good and there is free wifi available. We would highly recommend it and will be back again.

There's a tesco metro next door, ideal for picking up nibbles and wine for getting ready for a night out in Manchester. The prices are good for a quality nights stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Holly,

We really appreciate you taking the time to post such a wonderful review.
We were so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Take Care
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Just back from a few days in Manchester, chose The Light for something different from the usual run-of-the-mill hotels, and can honestly say, we were not disappointed.

Nice atmosphere, friendly staff. The room (one of the 1 Bed Executive Suites) was nice & roomy, decent balcony, warm, quiet and just what we needed. (If I'm going to be picky, I'd mount the TV on the wall and use the coffee table as an actual coffee table). All facilities were good. Wine/Bottled Water left in the room, all usual fare of iron/ironing board, free WiFi (rare these days), hairdryer etc. Tesco Metro right next door for anything else.

Really central, easy to get to the shops & bars, Northern Quarter, Picadilly Station, Canal Street/Gay Village, Deansgate etc.

Would definitely return to The Light for my next trip.

Room Tip: Don't scrimp for a few quid, go for Executive to have a nicer trip. We were 8th floor, which w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank SiCoulson
Dear Simon,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are so pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us. I will ensure that the maintenance team is aware of your comments regarding the coffee table; we are always striving to improve quality and appreciate your feedback.
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Chose to stay in Manchester for a weekend away and booked through another agent website for 2 nights, in a studio apartment in mid Jan 2014. When we arrived, we were welcomed and check in took around 5 minutes. We arrived quite late 9.30pm, so there car parking spaces were unavailable, but there is an outdoor carpark right next door to the hotel (£15 per 24 hours).

Studio was located on the ground floor, it was freezing when we got into the room, and the heater didn't work. After a bit of searching around we found a portable heater in the airing cupboard. The lady from reception did happily come to the room to try and make the heater work. She was very pleasant.We just used the portable heater that night and it was fine.

The next morning, after one of us showered, when it came to the second person showering the cold water had run out and the bathroom lights kept on tripping. We called reception who promptly sent a maintainance man over who tried to check it but said the electric were faulty, and the hot water ran out because there was only a small tank of water. We were not told that there is a limited amount of hot water. The maintainance man happily went back to reception and upgraded us to a dulux two bedroom apartment!!! Which we were more than happy with.

The two bed apartment was spacious, nicely decorated, warm and had everything we needed, plus amazing views from the 10th floor.

Although the website says there is free wi-fi in the rooms, the connection is very poor/barely there.

However as we were given a complimentary upgrade, it made up for all of the other hiccups we had on the first night of our stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HinaJadav
Dear Hina,

We appreciate your comments from your recent stay at The Light ApartHotel and I am pleased to hear that despite a few hiccups, our reception team were able to turn your stay around and provide you with an alternative apartment more to your liking.
All of your comments have been passed to our maintenance team to ensure that improvements can be made where required. We would love to welcome you back again in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

My mother and I spent two nights here at the beginning of November 2013. She had booked through a separate booking agent a room that was advertised as a one bedroom apartment with wifi. It looked very promising (and wasn't overly cheap) so we were looking forward to it.
When we arrived, it transpired we weren't even in the main hotel, but next door. The room wasn't a 'one bedroom apartment' but rather a bedsit. The bed was one that folded down from the wall, the tiny sofa was pressed against it, the blinds across the window were broken, the kitchen and bathroom had that horrible brown plastic flooring that reminded me of the shared bathrooms I had in halls at university, there were exposed wires going into the walls, the extractor fans were broken, the metal seats were completely rusted....I could go on, but I hope you get the picture.
Immediately upon seeing the room, we called down to reception (on our mobiles, as there was no phone in the room). A young man came up and apologised, but said there was nothing he could do. We were surprised at the lack of customer service. He said that no one could help us and there were no other rooms available.
So we had to make do.
I then tried to get onto the wifi (which he website advertised as available) but couldn't. I called down to reception and had a rather surly voice telling me the wifi name. I tried again, but I could not see the network available. As politely as I could I enquirer again, to which I got the response of 'Oh, there's no wifi in that room', 'Oh...But we were under the impression that there would be...', 'Ok, thank you, if that's all...bye'.

Right.
The next day we, as politely as we could, requested that we be moved to a room that we had paid for and, to give them their dues, we were moved. I'm not going to say the room we got was that impressive, but it was better. At least the bed was a proper one and there was no bobbly plastic flooring.
On returning home, my mother had to jump through hoops to try and get our money back for he first night and she only succeeded when she went through the third party booking agent she had used. From what she told me, they were as surprised as we were that what was being offered wasn't what was being given.

I'm sure that others have far better experiences, depending on where you get a room, but because it's such a lottery as to what you might get, I'd advise you pick a more reliable aparthotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jessica A
Dear Jessica,
Thank you for providing your feedback on which was a very disappointing experience for you. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the lack of customer service that you feel you did not receive throughout your stay and to clarify a few points which you have raised.
As you have mentioned your mother had made your booking through a third party provider, who in turn had also used another third party provider to make your reservation at the hotel which is where the confusion arose. When the error was highlighted to the front desk, reception did all they could to allocate you another apartment which would have been more suitable but unfortunately we were fully booked on the night you arrived and were only able to provide this on your second night of your stay. As discussed with your mother, as she had paid a third party for the weekend stay, it did fall to her having to contact them for a refund to her account which did delay things slightly.
Some of the maintenance issues you mention, were discussed with your mother back in November when you stayed and were explained that they were not faults but how the apartment was designed.
As stated back in November when we trying to help with a resolution, we hope that this doesn't prevent you from returning sometime in the future, this was an unfortunate situation that arose and in no way is it a gamble with the accommodation you receive from us here at The Light.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Having returned to Manchester for an unexpected meeting tomorrow I made a last minute booking on their website and got a fantastic price for a Sunday evening. Reception welcome as always was great, polite and genuinely friendly service.

Wanting more space to work I opted for a deluxe two bedroom apartment which is great so much space with a huge balcony and great views...being a city fan I'm especially happy I can see the Etihad from my lounge :)

Will defiantly be returning.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank KF1988
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you very much for your review of our property.
I was thrilled to read your comments and that your return stay was everything you wanted.

We look forward to welcoming you back once again

Kind Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on more than one occasion with the girls!!!! From walking through the door you are welcomed by the most friendly staff, shown to your room and well THE ROOM- breathtaking, I've stayed in the studio apartments and the one of the penthouse and all have amazing views of Manchester!! The hotel is close in the centre, no need for taxis the shops are on the door step, fabulous! Little things like ice in the freezer were some of the small golden touches, we all like ice in our vino!!!! Would definitely recommend the Light for a truly VIP experience!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I was thrilled to read your comments and so pleased that we are continuing to deliver your expectations.

We hope to be welcoming you back soon