“Boutique? Could do much better with a little TLC”

The Light ApartHotel
sheffield
“Boutique? Could do much better with a little TLC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed in three different studio rooms during October. All were on the first floor, overlooking a fairly busy (and very "urban") bus route. No lift access to these rooms - they share the first floor with the gym and spa. The connecting corridor has a couple of fire doors - which bang loudly - it would be such a simple job to adjust the self-closers, but alas, this standard of maintenance was echoed in all three rooms I stayed. Two out of the three had broken washing machines (I fixed one myself). One had a missing iron and ironing board. One had no internet access. Two had bathroom problems. All had the bare minimum for an apartment (two knives, two teaspoons, two forks). No privacy from the road (a roller blind at night for the large windows).

Poor sound insulation and lots of hard surfaces is not a good combination, so expect sound from both inside and outside. Each apartment seems to have its own independent water heating system - noisy even with the cupboard door shut, and poor extraction from the steamy bathrooms.

I found the lighting difficult too - One room had two floor lamps, one had a loose electrical socket, so I thought best not to turn on the light.

Rooms were all clean, and a couple of nice touches (tea/coffee/sugar), but I'm afraid I don't see this accommodation as boutique or five star.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your review through Tripadvisor

I'm sorry that the studio you booked was not what you had expected but I was glad to read that you chose to come back twice to us to stay with us in the studios again.

As you found after your first stay, the studios are located on the first floor, adjacent to the spa and gym and they do overlook the trendy area of the northern quarter but I apologise if the blackout roller blind chosen and fitted for the studios was not to your liking.

Thank you for now informing us of the door closers causing noise issues within your apartment, this has never been mentioned before as being a noise problem within the studios and has since been rectified, so thank you for the feedback.

The studios are designed to sleep 2 guests and as such are equipped as such, apartments deigned to sleep more are equipped with the relevant crockery and cuttery for the numbers.

The wooden floors were fitted for the best guest experience possible, not only are they easier to keep clean but provide asthma and allergy sufferers piece of mind, the sound that you felt was noisy was intact the extractin system, this could have been isolated if you had preferred, please just speak to the front desk in the first instance and we would do all we can to help or rectify.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great for either a night with a partner or friends, have stayed a couple of times now as its in a perfect location - near to the Nortern quarter and the printworks etc. Great price and really good rooms, not much more to say but the staff were nice and friendly, car park is easily accessible and the beds are comfy!!! great night!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
thelight20, Guest Relations Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments placed through Tripadvisor.
I was delighted that not only you have chosen to return to The Light but that you rate our facilities and team so highly, once again thanks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

The rooms were very well finished and clean and the views were very nice. However we felt that it fell short of the 5 stars advertised. Our main issue was the lack of acoustic insulation in the rooms meaning we could hear everything that happened in the corridor and the rooms above. The phone in the room was broken meaning we were unable to inform reception of this. We also found the shower screen had not been properly installed and water drenched the bathroom floor. We had no control over the heating in the lounge and it was very cold. We also noted that the dishwasher was broken. This was all very disappointing as the trip was to celebrate an anniversary and I'd had to save up for a couple of months to afford a room in a 5* apartment. We did approach the management with our complaints and they did apologise but were unwilling to refund anything at all.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your comments through Tripadvisor.
We have had an issue with telephones but as discussed on check out, we do have a 24 hour reception where we would have done anything to help if you had contacted us by alternative means e.g mobile phone etc.
Again as discussed there is individual heaters in the lounge and bedroom, these are controlled separately Using the dials on the side between min and max.
There did seem to be a problem with the shower screen, not that it had been installed incorrectly but a split in the seal caused the problems, this was resolved after we were made aware And we would have supplied extra towels or housekeeping assistance if informed.
I do remember voiding off your car parking charges as a goodwill gesture and as stated please do just inform us of any issues at the time and we are always more than willing to assist in anyway we can.

Yours sincerely
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

apartment number 36 which i was given was tiny with a huge pillar in the middle of the room and balcony door jammed.
Asked to be moved and staff moved me with no problem.
Second apartment better but still had a pillar in the room but wasn't as bad as first room.
All windows are locked shut which was annoying at times as no fresh air could come in and the balcony in this room was also screwed shut!
For what I paid I expected much better. Won't return.

• Stayed October 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here recently and was very impressed by the size of the apartment. We booked a two bedroom apartment with balcony.

The rooms were a great size and we were pleased to find we had two bathrooms rather than one! the apartment was clean and nicely furnished, the beds were very comfortable. Our balcony was smaller than I imagined....it states on the website they are full width which they are, but they aren't very deep. There were however amazing views over Manchester. The staff were friendly and kind enough to email me to let me know I had forgotten some bits after I left, offering to post them to me. The only draw back to this place is finding it! make sure you check out where it is on a map before attempting to find it as Manchester's one way system makes it tricky to track down.

TIPs:
Don't park in the open air car park and pay for parking before you check in, they have a more secure underground car park you can use. These are both the same price but its always nice to know your vehicle is more secure underground.

As its not a real hotel there is no such thing as room service, however the front desk are more than happy to order you in a takeaway and send it up to your room.

Summary:
I would definitely stay here again, location wise it was great. Very close to the shops and bars. The restaurant next to it (French one) was amazing and if you stay at the hotel you will get discount when dining there. It really was amazing food, cant recommend it enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review through Tripadvisor

It was fantastic to see your 5 stars and to read such positive feedback, I was thrilled to see you liked your complimentary upgrade and that you felt the team had exceeded in relation to customer service.

Once again thanks
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

To the point - if you want well located , roomy, reasonably well priced accommodation in Manchester city centre look no further.

However, I hope the apartments are due a facelift as lots of little things are slipping and looking worn - nothing to put you off (yet) but it's certainly starting to creak.

There is ample parking at the outdoor and multi-storey - each within 50m of the front door. A word of warning - the machines are temperamental. Bring change, notes and cards!

Finally (and I can almost guarantee this will catch you out!) beware the doors leading onto the balcony. Once you get the hang of them they're ok but they can prove very frustrating. It took me 5 minutes of struggling (to the amusement of my family) to put it back in place. So , don't worry - you haven't broken it when it seems to swing loose but if it's too much effort just call maintenance. They're used to it!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Raphakid
Thank you for your review through Tripadvisor

We are certainly going through a refurbishment, we currently have 75% percent of the Aparthotel complete and going strong, our focus and commitment is to our guests.

Just so you know we do also have parking at the hotel and this is charged at £15 overnight

Once again thank you for comments
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

On initial booking of the apartments we were given 3 different prices and 3 different lots of information. After asking to speak to the manager we managed to book 2 rooms at a fantastic rate! After working in a hotel for 4 years you pick up on customer service skills and I honestly could not fault the way the booking was dealt with. Later that night the manager called me back and offered me the 3 bed duplex penthouse suite; of course I said yes and after staying there I could not have wanted anything more. I think we ended up paying £485 for one night, but it was worth every penny.

The 3 bed duplex is on the 18th and 19th floor and is absolutely stunning! We even made use of the fully equipped kitchen and made a fry up for everyone in the morning to ease the hangover. The rooms were all lovely and clean and there were plenty mirrors (good when there's 9 girls getting ready together!). Could have had a few more plug sockets nearer to the mirrors though!

In terms of location the hotel is only a stones throw from the arndale centre and a short walk to printworks and the birdcage.

The only real issue we had is that the security deposit is not apparent when you book. I don't understand why they take it as damage could quite easily exceed the deposit taken but that said it should be more obvious when booking.

Staff were lovely and friendly! Cant really comment on the pool or gym as we never seen them.

Would definetely reccommed though! Thanks for making our birthday special! x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments placed through Tripadvisor

Your fantastic, positive review was a pleasure to read, we aim to make all our guests happy and to hear that we made your 21st birthday one to remember fills us with joy.

Security deposits are on all websites and in our confirmations when booked direct.

For anyone reading, it is £200 for apartments and £400 for penthouses.