The Light ApartHotel
$140
$131
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe penthousebed apartmenthot tubtesco express next doortesco metronorthern quarterwashing machinehen partyon arrivalgreat apartmentliving areathese apartmentsarndale centredining tablecar parkcomplimentary upgradefloor to ceiling windows
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

Was told we had been upgrade to an excitive suite from deluxe but the room was poor balcony view ugly and beer cans and fag butts all over outside not helpful in room sitition but was in parking unimpressed pictures on website missleading stayed with four friends great location only good thing can say

• Stayed: May 2012
thelight20, General Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2012

I shall reply to this review and the previous one "unimpressed" together, as you were both in the same apartment.
As discussed with you on check in, all the names you gave that you had apparently spoke to have never worked here. We did though out of good customer service upgrade you to an executive suite with 2 bedrooms and two bathrooms (our deluxe suites do not have two bathrooms) as we wanted your weekend to be great and as you stated we also did all we could to help with your parking situation.
I am sorry if you feel the apartments were not to your liking but in respect of other issues, we were not informed, was not given the chance to view and not given the chance to rectify at the time what you felt was wrong.

Yours Sincerely

Kim

Reviewed May 7, 2012

I came on a hen wkd 5th May, my chief hen had done all the booking and encountreded many problems. Different people saying different things. After all these problems we were promised a free upgrade to an executive apartment and that we had paid for parking in the private car park.
When we arrived there was no knowledge of any of this and parking could not be booked.
The manager kindly gave up his spot for us to park. We then arrived to our "executive " apartment we were so disappointed it was very small and not how we pictured at all. The bedrooms were tiny you couldn't even open the wardrobe which was all that was in the room fully.Bathroom was fine. The apartment was clean apart from some kind of wrapper i peeled of the duvet which looked like it had been through the wash with it. The balcony was filthy! pictures were shown to chris at the desk and he asked them to be forwarded. Beer cans, fag ends ,manky rag and some kind of crap plastered down the wall. filthy windows.
We had so many glitches we just wanted to enjoy the wkd and get on with it ,better that then kicking off big time! We know full well we didn't have an executive apartment we are not stupid and just basically got fobbed off.
There's no way i would book this hotel again so not worth what we paid.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bendyclaire
Reviewed April 30, 2012

A planned weekend with my best friend and our mum's in Manchester. This apartment catered for all. We kitted out with boutique style furniture, balcony overlooking Manchester, flat screen TVs in each room, full kitchen with washing machine, fridge etc.
We were cold though, heaters worked in the bedrooms, but struggled with heating in main room. We would have asked but the Service from the staff was only poor, the reception staff we're quite pre-occupied with what food they were ordering for tea, didn't show us around the apartment and were generally disinterested in their guests. They event sent us to the wrong floor, they really didn't care.
But this would definitely NOT put me off staying there again. They just need a lesson in customer service.
P.S Take Ear Plugs, this is in central Manchester and taxis, clubs etc are all within earshot!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
thelight20, General Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your detailed review. Customer feedback is vitally important as it enables us to identify areas where we can improve our level of service. I will ensure that we address the points you raised particularly the one with reception team members and can assure you that we are currently going through some new training for our new team at the hotel. With regards to the problems with your heater we attended you room after you had checked out and the problem was that it was set to the wrong setting hence why it did not heat up properly and I wish you had mention this to reception when you noticed this and we would have resolved this for you straight away. Thank you again for your review and please contact me direct when you plan to visit Manchester again so I can make up for these issue as we try our hardest to make sure everyone leaves 100% satisfied at our hotel.
Kind regards,
Kim Eivind
kim@thelight.co.uk

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We booked a 3-bedroom Penthouse Apartment for a Saturday night, choosing The Light as we've stayed in The Place before and it has become a little tired. I held out high hopes having looked at the impressive website and we were all really looking forward to it.

When I booked I asked about parking and was told it was 'first come first served', and that we could only check in at 2pm. Driving around Manchester at 1:55pm I called the hotel to tell them I was around the corner and ask where access to the carpark was. The answer was terse from the chap on reception "there isn't any, it's fully booked", to which I replied that I was told you couldn't book. His response? "whatever, it is full". Hmm, not a great start. I then parked in a multi-storey (a very tight one at that) across the road and arrived at the hotel some 30 minutes later. The couple in front of me checked in and were given, wait for it, their carpark ticket! The receptionist simply wasn't bothered, making up some story about the 'best customers' getting a space and that the couple that had just checked in had simply driven through when the barrier was up. Nonsense. To be fair the manager heard our discussion, came over and asked the receptionist if he'd even bothered to check if there were spaces. He hadn't. The manager then said I could have his, which was very gracious of him, but as I'd just spent 30 minutes negotiating another carpark I declined.
We then went up to the Penthouse. I mistakenly thought that the Penthouse Gardens would be with the Penthouses. They weren't. Apparently they are with the Penthouse on the 15th floor, not the 19th. Call me a traditionalist but I thought that a Penthouse was on the top floor (19th in this case).
The rooms were well presented, although the tap in the kitchen wasn't screwed on right.
So, we went out in Manchester, came back, then checked out in the morning.
2 weeks later a debit appeared on my bank statement for £124. I called the Light who asked what the reference was, "The Light Aparthotel" I told him. "Okay, what is your card number?", told him, he checked with accounts and couldn't find it. They then requested a copy of my statement, which I sent them.
On the Thursday I received an email stating "we have just sent the refund, sorry". It hadn't arrived a week later. When I asked why they said "we only sent it on Tuesday" - so when they said they'd sent it on the Thursday they were telling lies again.

Honestly I don't know whether it's one individual or policy to take additional money off people. I've seen similar reviews on here and to be frank wouldn't have noticed the charge if it hadn't been for my accountant. They were then deliberately obstructive about the refund.

So all in all I'd never return.

One other note, there's a fine dining restaurant in the building. I've got to question the business decision on this - surely a bar and relaxed restauarant would far better serve the clientelle?

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank 78mjt
thelight20, General Manager at The Light ApartHotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

I read with concern your comments placed and this is the first i am aware of the situation.
I have as such sent you a private message asking for your contact details, so i can speak with you directly.

I look forward to your response in due course

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 23, 2012

stayed at the light for my hen do over the weekend. stayed in 2 family apartments which were great, really clean and well equipped!! great views from balconies and ensuite bathroom in the largest bedroom was a bonus for all us girls! my only gripe with the whole weekend was the rude unhelpful woman at reception (didnt catch her name-brunette girl!)...no 'welcome to the light' or 'how was your stay' or even a smile or a 'hello'..... just a miserable face as though we were a burden to her wanting to check into our rooms!!! the 2 male receptionists were fab, very helpful and cheery! we were also told to park our 2 cars in the multi-story across the road and have our tickets stamped on the way out for 20% discount-never got the discount and ended up costing us £31 to park both cars overnight!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends