“Visit to Manchester”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and i had an overnight in Manchester before flying out to go on holiday.
The Angel is a Gastropub.
3 course meal with bottle of wine for fifty pounds.
A good range of starters.Soup was excellent.
Steak for myself,my wife had seabass both very good indeed!
Upstairs restruant very nice and roomy.
Open fireplace -would be great in the winter.
Service was excellent.
Backgroud music was a great ecclectic mix.
The waitress was really helpful service just the way it shoul be!
We live in Scotland and have told friends and relatives to visit the Angel.
Almost forgot the real ale was relly good.6pumps all from mico.Not to be missed.
Great location.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

On a trip to Manchester we went for a meal with friends who had recently moved to the city, and had been to this place once before.
On approach it looked like any backstreet pub, it was filled with locals downstairs both young and old and had a lovely feel to the place, we were taken to the restaurant upstairs which again had a lovely feel.
Menus were hand written and apparently changed weekly.
The option was 3 courses for £18 what amazing food,The menu was imaginative with 4 choices from each course, food was cooked to great standard and beautifully presented, service was very attentive, and the chef came out at the end of the evening to check all was ok.
Bottle of prosecco was £16 so good prices all round.
Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

As the title says, second visit but I'm afraid the last. Small menu, hadn't changed since last visit which was approx 4 months earlier. Dining room nice but only us 2 in there so no atmosphere. Waiting staff were pleasant but not interested, maybe due to lack of business? The food was nicely presented but lacked any kind of flavour and my risotto was very overcooked whilst my wife's fish was undercooked. This shows real lack of experience in the kitchen somewhere along the line. We had dessert which was ok, but the bone of contention was the fact that on such a small menu you have to get it right every time. The bill came to £78 for 2 with wine and a beer and a coke. Not worth it at all I'm sad to say. Had high hopes due to review's on here and past visit but very let down. Going to give the marble arch a try next week, let's hope its not the same scenario......

1  Thank munchie666
Carole R, Owner at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We booked the upstairs dining room for the day after our wedding in march 2013.
What a perfect day it turned out to be!!
The staff greeted us with glasses of prosecco and made us feel very much at home.
There was around 30 of us all together, people coming and going all afternoon so we staggered the ordering which hopefully helped the kitchen manage to cope with us!!
The upstairs room is just beautiful with lovely tasteful furniture, art on the walls and log fires. It really felt like we were out at a country pub!
So, the ales were great-we are really into real ale and the selection was superb.
Food wise most people had a roast which was lovely. I felt that the portions were a little on the small side for a Sunday roast but the quality was fantastic.
We were even allowed to play our own iPod through the doc they have set up in the room which made it even more personal.
I'm a big fan of the angel and love the atmosphere in the regular downstairs of the pub but for a special occasion hiring this room was perfect for us.
Keep up the good work Angel!

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I Have not been to The Angel Pub since Robert Owen Brown had left. I heard they had hired a new chef with an obviously good background. I booked on friday night with a table of 6.
As we walked into the pub it felt like an old thriving boozer, piano playing and drinks were flowing.
We made our way upstairs to the newly renovated restaurant and were greeted by two roaring fires. The waitress sat us down at our beautifully presented table with fresh flowers and lit candles a really nice touch.
We ordered from the A La Cart Menu, Tempura smoked haddock with sweet chilli dressing was Devine. Smoky fish and very crisp batter. I had ox cheek and tail stew for my main which at first i thought was a little unusual but it was brilliant. The meat melted in my mouth it was cooked to perfection.
My advice to all you manchester foodies is go and try it.