“Perfect Sunday!!!”

The Angel
Ranked #368 of 2,245 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manchester, UK
“Perfect Sunday!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We booked the upstairs dining room for the day after our wedding in march 2013.
What a perfect day it turned out to be!!
The staff greeted us with glasses of prosecco and made us feel very much at home.
There was around 30 of us all together, people coming and going all afternoon so we staggered the ordering which hopefully helped the kitchen manage to cope with us!!
The upstairs room is just beautiful with lovely tasteful furniture, art on the walls and log fires. It really felt like we were out at a country pub!
So, the ales were great-we are really into real ale and the selection was superb.
Food wise most people had a roast which was lovely. I felt that the portions were a little on the small side for a Sunday roast but the quality was fantastic.
We were even allowed to play our own iPod through the doc they have set up in the room which made it even more personal.
I'm a big fan of the angel and love the atmosphere in the regular downstairs of the pub but for a special occasion hiring this room was perfect for us.
Keep up the good work Angel!

• Visited March 2013

“Perfect Cosy Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I Have not been to The Angel Pub since Robert Owen Brown had left. I heard they had hired a new chef with an obviously good background. I booked on friday night with a table of 6.
As we walked into the pub it felt like an old thriving boozer, piano playing and drinks were flowing.
We made our way upstairs to the newly renovated restaurant and were greeted by two roaring fires. The waitress sat us down at our beautifully presented table with fresh flowers and lit candles a really nice touch.
We ordered from the A La Cart Menu, Tempura smoked haddock with sweet chilli dressing was Devine. Smoky fish and very crisp batter. I had ox cheek and tail stew for my main which at first i thought was a little unusual but it was brilliant. The meat melted in my mouth it was cooked to perfection.
My advice to all you manchester foodies is go and try it.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best night manchester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Friday night we went for our first meal at the Angel it had been recommended by friends and the fact that I knew their new chef ken Calder…… had joined the team.

We arrived to a thriving pub full of people relaxing and enjoying the various beers (real ale pub ) on offer my husband started with a fruit beer well chilled . The atmosphere was exciting, throbbing the fires roared, the alcohol flowed and the chatter bounced around us. This is a traditional pub full of local characters that took me back to a time before wine bar Manchester Fantastic and a real find!!!!!!!!!!!! The grand piano dominates the room its open for all to use.
We had booked a table in the small intimate restraint upstairs which hosts two real roaring fires a must at the moment (spring I don’t think so ) and we were not pushed to sit down as we were having such a good time, that relaxed attitude goes a long way !!
The restaurant full of exuberant dinner we were a little late. I started with the tempura and we had classic olives marinated served with artisan bread my husband decided he wanted fish and chips from the pub menu (how good is that I could have my fine dining experience and he was welcome to eat what he fancied) and I went for the trio of pork !!!! to our welcome surprise a complimentary amuse bouclé of succulent ox cheek arrived .a real treat of hearty flavours perfect on a cold night.
The trio arrived on a slate the presentation excellently executed, this dish is a concept something that has clearly taken months to develop!!!! The belly pork crisp and succulent the loin slightly pink, the shoulder shredded and infused with spices. The plate was painted with a delicate subtle puree that left you questioning ….. Miniature fondants baby sprouts etc etc ….. it was a total delight !
Hubby stayed on the beer and was presented with the very best fish and chips in Manchester, fish crisp and delicate the pont neuf well cooked and exact! Mushy peas, yummy.
We were stuffed and had no need for a dessert however I did look at the next table who were oozing with compliments …
The clientele is eclectic which is unique in Manchester. I personally would recommend the whole experience the food second to none in the city the beers, the fires, the music ( the piano the fiddle being played by the owner and some of the locals) we left the angel at 1.30 am exhausted but with the memory of the best night out we have had in years. Please make a visit!

• Visited March 2013
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Worth a short walk from the city centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Don't be put off by the roadworks that make access a bit of a trial at the moment. This pub is definitely worth the effort from a beer and a food perspective. An impressive array of real ales greets you in the bar. I sampled Sarah Hughes Snowflake, a complex barley wine of 8% that I have sought in beer festivals in the past but it has always been sold out. I understand why. But not a session beer obviously. Moved on to Shipwreck from the Liverpool Organic Brewery. This claims to be an IPA and at 6.5% is fairly strong. I could certainly drink this through an evening, although I think an IPA is generally more hoppy that this. A great pint on a cold winter's evening, so I can definitely recommend it but it was not what i was expecting. Both beers i sampled were well kept, and I was impressed at the choice.

We repaired to the dining room upstairs to eat. We sampled the Christmas menu, and can thoroughly recommend the fillet steak with wild mushrooms and dauphinoise potatoes. Bread and butter pudding with cinnamon and apple frangipane tart for pudding were both hits. The atmosphere is completely unpretentious. The food is well done, tasty and well presented. The service is attentive without being over the top. We paid a bit more for the Christmas menu because it was a special occason. But to be honest the normal bar menu looked pretty good to me and was rather cheaper, so a good bet if you don't want to push the boat out. I would thoroughly recommend this pub for both the food and the beer.

• Visited December 2012
New Jersey
“Excellent Beer Quality & Selection and Food Was Excellent As Well”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We visited this pub and were quite impressed with it. Would definately visit it again and totally understand how it is a past CAMRA local pub of the year winner.

Visited December 2012